Save the planet with hybrids... I dont think

Volksy

Taken fron Grist..

Heeeyy, Tahoooe

Hybrid Chevy Tahoe wins "Green Car of the Year" award

The Green Car Journal has awarded the "Green Car of the Year" prize to ... drumroll please ... the hybrid Chevy Tahoe. An eight-passenger SUV not yet on sale? Whaaa? "People don't think green when SUVs are concerned and for generally good reason, since SUVS often get poor fuel economy," says Green Car publisher Ron Cogan. "Chevrolet's Tahoe Hybrid changes this dynamic with a fuel efficiency improvement of up to 30 percent." Be that as it may, the Tahoe Hybrid's 21 miles per gallon in city driving is a far cry from the fuel economy achieved by smaller, more park-able hybrids.

Posted Image

:roll:

Having filled up cars either side of the Atlantic recently I gotta say the yanks still have no clue how good they have it when it comes to the price of gas/petrol. Even with the current prices it's still buttons compared to the uk. Ford put stickers on the Focus saying 'PZE' for 'Partial Zero Emissons' which is absolute BS, does this means anything to anyone?

'PZE' for 'Partial Zero Emissons'

My old Renault used to have that. The engine would cut out when you approach junctions or roundabouts, thus giving zero emissions.You then had the choice of left-foot braking and tickling the throttle or popping it into 2nd gear and letting the clutch up to restart (did I mention the battery wasn't good?)Partial Zero Emissions, nothing new. And instead of all theses fancy computers to control it, all you needed was a worn carb and a missing vacuum advance on the distributor :D Gareth

'PZE' for 'Partial Zero Emissons'

My old Renault used to have that. The engine would cut out when you approach junctions or roundabouts, thus giving zero emissions.You then had the choice of left-foot braking and tickling the throttle or popping it into 2nd gear and letting the clutch up to restart (did I mention the battery wasn't good?)Partial Zero Emissions, nothing new. And instead of all theses fancy computers to control it, all you needed was a worn carb and a missing vacuum advance on the distributor :D Gareth
Sounds a bit like the freewheel on the Saab then :D Buy A Tahoe Hybrid. Apply sticker saying "Official Green Car of the Year 2008". Drive round central London. Use its superior agility and handling to avoid thrown eggs.

Anyone remember the Regatta with the economy button? I think it stopped the engine when you were waiting at the lights - ingenious, no more having to turn the key on and off. It must have been cleverer than that - I'm sure someone will have an old brochure somewhere with the details.

Anyone remember the Regatta with the economy button? I think it stopped the engine when you were waiting at the lights - ingenious, no more having to turn the key on and off. It must have been cleverer than that - I'm sure someone will have an old brochure somewhere with the details.

I don't recall that one CT, though there was the completely shit Golf diesel that automatically shut off the engine when the car became stationary, and restarted as soon as you pressed the throttle. Not surprisingly it was a resounding miss!

This was the kind of thing - I can only remember a button down by the right hand side of the steering column that said "citymatic" or something similar; and it was only available on the ES spec models of the 70bhp engine. I remember the old man looking at the Regata when the runaround 127 1050CL finally popped, and we nearly ended up with an 85Super. He went for an R18TS instead.

I admire the American sense of humour. I hope this is a report from the Onion, but I fear it is for real.

Sadly it is for real.. heres the reuters artical. http://uk.reuters.com/article/motoringN ... dChannel=021mpg round town.. I thought that was bad, turns out it only gets 22mpg everywhere else!! :roll:

Tough to put your finger on the real reason for US MPG figures being silly compared to EU numbers but probably $$$s (what other reason is there?). Those that drive for a living are having a tough time with the recent gas price increases here, your average commuter/driver is complaining but not screaming (yet) - ie it is not a political issue. Media here is also complacent to the MPG 'issue', phrases such'carbon footprint' have right or wrong been thrown about by the BBC for years, but I only heard it for the first time on CNN a few months back. And please, I don't want to start a 'carbon footprint' thread:)

Tough to put your finger on the real reason for US MPG figures being silly compared to EU numbers but probably $$$s (what other reason is there?)

Isn't the US gallon about 20% less than the imperial one? In which case the Tahoe will do about 26mpg on an imperial gallon, which of course now makes it obvious why it got the environmental award :wink: