Dollywobbler's Dinky (ex) Daihatsu - Boring update.

dollywobbler

I note I haven't updated this thread since May. There's a very simple reason for that. It's boringly reliable and just works. The biggest problem I've had is the window winder coming off in my hand, which I cured by bending the retaining clip so it gripped better. It's only covered about 1500 miles since purchase, but Mrs DW absolutely loves it. By which I mean it's the only one of my cars she'll drive when she very occasionally has to drive somewhere. 

Here it is trying to keep cool on a hot day. 

COYP5d0XAAAD7Gx.jpg

I note I haven't updated this thread since May. There's a very simple reason for that. It's boringly reliable and just works. The biggest problem I've had is the window winder coming off in my hand, which I cured by bending the retaining clip so it gripped better. It's only covered about 1500 miles since purchase, but Mrs DW absolutely loves it. By which I mean it's the only one of my cars she'll drive when she very occasionally has to drive somewhere. 

Here it is trying to keep cool on a hot day. 

COYP5d0XAAAD7Gx.jpg

There has to be a place in the world for simple, cheap, reliable cars.

• 9 months later...

Ci1QPlxWUAIR6ew.jpg

Hey! This thing has over 28,000 miles on it now! It's also my only working vehicle. How did that happen? RAV needs a timing belt tensioner, 2CV is strewn across the country. I overtook five dawdling tourists in it today. Amazing how much fun you can have with 847cc. Amazing just how small it is too. Now owned for a total of 18 months - it'll be out-living the XM very soon at this rate. To be fair though, it has still covered fewer than 4000 miles in that time, while the XM topped 18,000. When it comes to distance, the Nippa gets a big fat No from me as I get fed up with the gearstick jabbing me in the leg.

• 10 months later...

Gosh. Well overdue another boring update on this. New HT leads have it running very nicely again, but I remember that the exhaust did very well (serious ally tape bodgery) to get through the MOT back in March. A present arrived for the Nippa today. It looked very happy about it.

C-_2jceXYAATEk_.jpg

Gawd knows when I'll find time to get it fitted though. I've suggested Mrs DW might like to do it. She didn't seem convinced.

• 2 months later...

The exhaust got fitted, because LOUDS. It has also had a front brake overhaul as the calipers were seized. Good used replacements and a set of discs and pads. Sorted, and detailed in this video.

When I did that work, I discovered that the inside edges had been destroyed on the front tyres. Finally, I got it booked in for an alignment check and to have two old summer tyres put on the front, at the most scenic tyre place in the land.

DFlZXD3W0AA98jH.jpg

12" wheels are a pain in the arse. They had to use blocks for the rear part of the alignment kit, and the lasers were very close to the ground. It was eleven degrees out! That'd explain it. New tyres and balance has cured the horrendous steering shake at 60mph too, though Mrs DW had not reported this issue as she doesn't drive it that quickly.

I do though, and had an absolute hoot driving home. It steers really nicely now!

• 9 months later...

About time we had an update! Not a fat lot to report. It sailed through the MOT again, and is now on 37,000 miles. Lacquer is falling off all over the place and rot is starting to creep in notably around the edges. 

Have a misfire now too. It has taken a severe dislike to rain - which is unfortunate given where I live. I've replaced the dizzy cap, but that has not improved matters. We replaced the HT leads last year, I think. Maybe it was the year before...

Playing with a hose, it gets notably worse if you squirt water at the top of the dizzy cap. All the leads seem to be attached firmly, but I have a horrible feeling another set of HT leads is required. All the more annoying as it's actually meant to be going on holiday with us tomorrow. This is not good timing. The Nippa NEVER goes on holiday with us. This was meant to be a first!

Ah. I remember last time. OE leads, £101! Ridiculous. So I bought the cheapest ones possible. Still, you can buy quite a few sets of cheap leads before it gets up to the ADL Blueprint cost. Why the hell are they so expensive?! They're four tiny HT leads. The whole car cost £300.

About time we had an update! Not a fat lot to report. It sailed through the MOT again, and is now on 37,000 miles. Lacquer is falling off all over the place and rot is starting to creep in notably around the edges. 

Have a misfire now too. It has taken a severe dislike to rain - which is unfortunate given where I live. I've replaced the dizzy cap, but that has not improved matters. We replaced the HT leads last year, I think. Maybe it was the year before...

Playing with a hose, it gets notably worse if you squirt water at the top of the dizzy cap. All the leads seem to be attached firmly, but I have a horrible feeling another set of HT leads is required. All the more annoying as it's actually meant to be going on holiday with us tomorrow. This is not good timing. The Nippa NEVER goes on holiday with us. This was meant to be a first!

Try smearing some silicon grease between the distibutor body and distributor cap.

Aftermarket caps are rarely a perfect fit, and the small gap is enough to allow humidity in and cause misfires.

I used to use Damp Start ignition sealer in readiness for winter - make sure your leads and distributor are clean and spray it on.

That sounds like a level of bodgery that just shouldn't be necessary with Japanese engineering. An old Mini, then yes, but Japanese stuff should just bloody work!

I'm preferring the option of simply taking a different vehicle on holiday. Mrs DW is out in the Starlet at the moment, to see if it passes muster.

That sounds like a level of bodgery that just shouldn't be necessary with Japanese engineering. An old Mini, then yes, but Japanese stuff should just bloody work!

I'm preferring the option of simply taking a different vehicle on holiday. Mrs DW is out in the Starlet at the moment, to see if it passes muster.

When stuff with ht leads was still commonplace, I would remove the leads and dizzy cap (where fitted) every service, clean it with petrol then give it all a good coating of damp start to seal it all together.

Not bodgy, just well maintained.