Nailed-on Futureshite

Cheggers

Having looked at X5's, Cayennes, Rangies etc, I decided to buy a piece of absolutely nailed-on Futureshite...a Nissan Murano

th_ad081ddedfc622273fd7419468bfbb41_zpsd

Why futureshite? - A bit like my old Scenic RX4 it's lovely but completely pointless and didn't sell well. What the hell is an "urban crossover" anyway?

It has the quirky combination of 350Z gas-guzzling engine, CVT gearbox, 4 wheel drive and road tyres. The exterior is wonderfully "Space 1999", with the interior more "Blue Peter".

So what's it like?

Well, it's much as you'd expect of a modern Japanese car. It's very clever, very competent but lacks that certain something you get with it's European equivalents.

It goes like stink, and once you're used to the rubber band gearbox (albeit with electronically faked gearshifts) it's incredibly smooth and refined. While the interior is best described as quirky, the leather armchairs wouldn't be out of place in a gentlemens club, so it's actually a nice place to be.

I fully expect it to drink like Gazza on his holidays, but hopefully no worse than the others I was considering.

And it's surprisingly big...fucking massive actually.

I think I like it

PS: No collection thread as the nice man delivered it.

Having driven a rubberbandomatic Jeep Compass 1100 miles around Texas this week, the Murano's fake shifts sound like a great idea. Otherwise there is absolutely no acceleration or kickdown.

BTW, the Compass oozed the sort of quality more normally associated with 1970s products assembled in Longbridge. A hateful and ugly p.o.s.

I heard that they came with a free copy of Wham's greatest hits in the glovebox and Julian Clary did the satnav voice.

...which clearly Range Rover thought was a great idea... coming to a hairdresser's near you soon:

RREC_zpsslcwz7nt.jpg

These are full of awesomeness (the Murano not that hideous thing above) - although I think they look much better in that orangey colour.

And as far as being a pointless cross-over thing goes, it's not as pointless as my Streetwise - still I like it cause it's chunky...

Although I have no conclusive proof I'd wager that either Kerry Katona or Martine McCutchinson have owned at least one of these each.

Not that I'm implying that you're some sort of Z list, vacuous, bankrupt celeb slag.

Who are you calling vacuous?

Z list, bankrupt celeb slag maybe...

^ That reminds me a little in proportion of 1920's touring limousines... huge high body with people sat in it wearing those fully little swimcap type hats, only their head visible above the edge of the door

It just needs solid steel wheels and a mascot and flags on the front to complete the image, possibly rolling along the road slowly with some dictatorship-type standing in the back waving to the crowds

--Phil

A quick update from a few days in...The more I drive it, the more I like it. It's a bit more frugal than I expected, and I've managed to work out the satnav & trip computer

However, I can't think of another car in this class that doesn't have:

- An external temperature display

- A remote boot release

Neither are exactly critical, but just seem like odd omissions from an otherwise well-equipped car.