why am I becoming attracted to ...

messerschmitt owner

That looks fantastic.  If I needed a car that was less comfortable than a Series Land Rover and possibly less reliable that would be at the top of my list.

Can't wait to see the collection thread, will you be driving it back home?

How dare you, I reckon Umms are way more sophisticated & comfortable than a series Landy. It's got 5 forward gears, power steering and a turbo, plus 3 wipers.

Current plan is to drive it 200+ miles back from Devon (I'm partially deaf already which should help) or if I'm having the other one possibly have it delivered with that.

hey, why would you buy a Land Rover when you can have a same age Santana for half the price!

Skattrd

I thought the same on the Lancashire one - driver's wiper is on the scuttle. I guess £600 delivered, which makes yours cheap, especially as I don't really want a pick up. The Blue one in Exeter has only two wipers too.

Did they import these into the UK at one time? Sure I remember seeing them parked up at Southampton docks when I was doing a bit of casual trespassing in the school holidays. Would have been early '90s I guess. Didn't really know what they were at the time but that bonnet line is pretty distinctive.

They would have been the actual French built Cournil (UMMs were Portugese licence-built versions).   Used to come across on the Viking (Townsend Thoresen) ferries from le Havre or Cherbourg (cant remember which....) and there were always a couple in the transit shed.