Mummy says I'm Special - Heron Austin Seven

barrett

Trouble is the Ford engine isn't worth anything, but apparently A7 ones are all of a sudden.

The first 'factory' Heron used an 1172 with an A7 four-speed box, so that's what we want to do in this one. Just involves getting some kind of adapter made to mate the two together, but it was common in the '50s so hopefully not too difficult to achieve

• 2 years later...

being linked to here by @barrett from the ebay tat thread,I think this thread itself needs a bump!

very interesting looking car, sleek Body shell on spindly 1930's wheels, messes with your head! LOL

love cars like that :) 

I too am very curious as to how it will handle on the road!

(as a side note, any updates regarding it?)

No updates really. I have a complete, dismantled 1172 engine, a four-speed Austin gearbox and a load of Aquaplane bits, but finding somebody who can put them all together in a workable whole has been an issue, as has the fact that I have pissed all my money up the wall on loads of other cars. However, seeing the other Herons come up for sale has semi-inspired me to do something about it. There is somebody in Manc who seems like they can build me a hot engine for the price of a knackered Austin Seven unit, and I reckon I know a manwho can figure out the drivetrain issues. If I can ever sell my Peugeot 404 then I'll have a lump of cash waiting to be spent so it might be time to kick-start this project again...

• 2 months later...

I would be interested to see a period photo of an 1172 engine mated to an A7 gearbox which actually worked, as the clutch/flywheel/input shaft configuration is totally different.  Or for that matter, a period conversion which has survived.   People said they did it, but never gave details.  It would have involved some serious engineering.  That might have been easier to achieve in the 50s with a different mindset and more small engineering firms than today, but it would not have been cheap or simple.  So I am sceptical.  But maybe you know more?

On 5/15/2017 at 10:57 PM, barrett said:

We also managed to source, through a 'shiter, a Ford 1172 engine.

Did late 100Es have a four-speeder??

A bit late to this, if still relevant. 

From '59 to '62 

The Prefect was available with 998cc ohv engine and 4 speed box. Reclassified as 107E

55 minutes ago, holbeck said:

A bit late to this, if still relevant. 

From '59 to '62 

The Prefect was available with 998cc ohv engine and 4 speed box. Reclassified as 107E

All 100Es were 3 speed.  The 107E used the Anglia 105E engine and gearbox.   The gearbox can be mated to the 1172 engine with a struggle, and there is/was an aftermarket bellhousing available, but it was never done by Ford.

If you ever get fed up of it, and my garage is empty, but my wallet is full. (May take a while.)

I'd love to have a go at it seriously.

I'd chuck those Hillman  lights away, and stick  CF Bedford's on like a proper Dutton..  (not seriously that bit).

7 hours ago, Mr Pastry said:

I would be interested to see a period photo of an 1172 engine mated to an A7 gearbox which actually worked, as the clutch/flywheel/input shaft configuration is totally different.  Or for that matter, a period conversion which has survived.   People said they did it, but never gave details.  It would have involved some serious engineering.  That might have been easier to achieve in the 50s with a different mindset and more small engineering firms than today, but it would not have been cheap or simple.  So I am sceptical.  But maybe you know more?

Yeah it's a weird one innit. The Heron road test goes into a bit of detail about it but not enough. The thing is, attaching a Ford box to an Austin drivetrain is equally tricky. Apparently a Morris Eight gearbox will provide some bits for it... basically I'll give the lot to my friendly Vintage car engineer and let him work it out, making up parts where necessary. I'd really like to have a four speed box if at all possible, so we'll start with the Austin box and go from there

• 3 years later...