Peugeot

dieselnutjob

:shock: :shock: Seriously? What have you sat in? Come for a ride in my toyoyo, you'll know all about bad seats then...

Can I post links for 404s, 504s and 505s for sale here, or would that just be annoying?

I've had 2x205 GTis, 309 GTi, 405, 406 and a 604. The 604 had comfy seats but an atrocious driving position. They all have short squabs that don't suit me!

TG did not mention the RCZ.  I doubt that they are as reliable or as rapid as an Audi TT, but as a driveway ornament they are gorgeous.  My Pug experience is limited to a 1967 CT moped (reliable and economical, my first powered vehicle, and I've still got it - last tax was 1981), a 404 saloon which our next door neighbours had in Germany (Beige, refined, reliable and comfortable), my son's succession of 205s, all but one being diesels (all great fun, mostly reliable and easy to fix) and his sole 309 with the clattery ex-talbot/simca engine (fabulous little car).  Later model Pugs do not attract me at all.  I'd sooner have a Daewoo Lanos.

I heard about this program and just caught up with it on iplayer.  I thought it was absolutely brilliant and pissed myself, sums up exactly how I feel now about the marque.  It may have been a bit over the top but to be honest I think Peugeot deserve every brickbat thrown at them for the dross they started to build from about 2000 onwards.  I love old Peugeots more than anything, but stopped selling them in 2001 for many reasons, including the fact that I just didn't like 'em any more.  206 was the first bad one, a thoroughly average machine.  Cars designed by marketing men as opposed to engineers.  Ford seemed to go the other way in the mid nineties.

The only slightly sad thing is that they seem to have just about got their act together in the last year or two and this won't help.

I used to drive modern pugrats for a local security firm, and the electrics were pure spazmodic on every car and van in the fleet. The bluetooth would drop out all the time, or in some cases go completely on strike, the stop start system would go 'WIBBLE FNARR' and stop working, and the cars had awful handling, the Bipper vans handled better!

A mate had an R reg Ryton built 306 base model XUD, and in the 3 years he owned it, NOTHING ever went wrong, was replaced with a Meridian TD, (French built), the wipers would work randomly, you could park it up and the windows would open themselves, then it suffered complete ABS/brake failure. He wrangled for months with Peugeot that the car was a death trap, car was on mobility, so without the car he was screwed, he went out and bought a 4 year Rover 414, which he still has today and hasn't ever had OMFGHGF!

Peugeot, Citroen and Renault are fucked long term. The French are buying them less a and less, a bit of a problem when that's your core market. They don't sell anything in the USA and I doubt the Chinese are interested. Giving them away here on crazy finance deals is the corner they backed themselves into.

The current 308 isn't a bad looking car but out of warranty. YMBFJ.

Basically when it comes to Peugeots...

If it's something 04 it will be solid and dependable

If it's something 05 (or a 309) it will be a bit flimsy but brilliant to drive and either fast or very cheap to run.

If it's something 06 then it's probably not so good to drive but stylish and comfy.

If it ends in 07 then it will be much uglier than its predecessor with electrics that Alfa would be ashamed of.

08s haven't made it into our territory yet and probably won't survive long enough to.

I agree-particularly the 05 series (the 205 1.9 GTi being an epic little car)  and the 04 ones were very solid. It's a pity you don't see Peugeot 404s around these days, as when I was (much!) younger I muddled them up with Austin Cambridge/Morris Oxford cars (same designer, I think.)  

Just watched this on catch up. Started to watch TG again with this series, the other episodes have been alright but I thought this was a pretty boring show all in all.

One thing I've noticed is that when the shark mouthed 407 and 308 came out, I thought they looked mega laughably shit but the 407 actually looked OK on camera. Maybe I need my eyes tested, but it's probably just that the gopping bar has been raised since 7 or 8 years ago.

Mrs bought a 307 a few weeks ago, and have to say we are quite impressed with it.

2004 1.6hdi 110, averaging 57mpg, drives quite nicely and is a pleasant enough place to sit.

The engine is a peach, near petrol level of noise even from cold and is mega smooth to drive.

Ok so the styling is a bit bland (this is pre massive mouth) and some of the plastics are a bit low rent but it cost less than £2000 and has tons of toys, all of which work perfectly.

For a ten year old car with 98k on the clock it's immaculate. Then again it was a one giffer owner from new which has likely helped.

Either way compared to similar priced VAG/Ford/Allvawxallsareshit they are fantastic value

Miss_155 has a 307 diesel,it's uncomfortable & slow.The only thing it has going for it is the economy,she can't understand why I'd want to spend twice as much on fuel & drive something else :-P

I get the same disdain when I mention my economy in the V70 lol

What engine is in her 307? I find the 1.6 HDI to be sprightly enough

Only real modern PSA experience I have is of occasionally driving a new shape Berlingo.

It goes in a massive huff if you switch the ignition on but don't start it, cutting power to everything and saying POWER SAVE MODE on the dash. Got to start it to find out the odo reading and time. Great work. It also displayed three different sets of numbers, so I had to guess which was odometer/trip/???

The brakes are way OTT, press the pedal lightly and it gives emergency stop levels of stopping power. Took a while to get used to this, then when I got in my own car I spent the rest of the day overshooting junctions and nearly rear ending people.

I didn't like the engine either, pulls cleanly to 1800 RPM, hits a brick wall then OMG TURBO KICKED IN Y0! at 2000. Coupled with the steering that at a quarter turn had the wheels turned further than my car at half a turn, I was pleased to get out.

The main problem with Peugeot the past decade or so has been the marketing.Whilst all the other mainstream manufacturers have been developing 'halo' effect models,for instance Ford have ressurected their Rs branding to good effect, and Renault their own Rallye sports.Peugeot who had built up such a tremendous reputation with its Sr Gti and Rallye models of its cars during the 80s and 90s decided for some god unforsaken reason to put up its pipe and slippers during the turn of the millennium....just at the point when Ford was turning up the pace for its handling and ride prowess....and the ruthless rise of the middle management Kraut Premium brand rep express's. In one fell swoop Peugeot and their Citroen cousin's who had enjoyed considerable motoring press accolades suddenly became also rans. And it's stayed like that ever since...for all the dominance of Marcus Gronholm in the World Rally championships of the early noughties Peugeot had lost in the general eyes of the public their unique selling point of being the everyman enthusiasts car. But for all that I believe they have been unfairly treated as the whipping boys of the European motoring scene. In our family fleet we currently have four Pugs if you include my Berlingo..a 04 plate 307cc,y plate 306 cabriolet,08 plate 1.4 partner and my aforementioned 2.0 hdi berlingo which I've owned for ten years with 160 now on the clock. None have given any major problems..the eml light occasionally pops up on the 307..but they all drive well enough and are serviced within manufacturers recommendations. I can't see why the media have become quite so vociferous towards them..unless of course they haven't been dishing out free lunches as much as other brands. It would be nice if top gear would redress the balance somewhat and Take the piss out of worn out E46 coupe drivers who seem to think that their the big cheese....and perhaps try and poking holes in the centre of mk5 golf's sills to discover their true uber quality.

If the French have given up buying Peugeots, then they are in trouble. Even 15 years ago they were launching models that only sold in real numbers in that market (607). I believe their Chinese JV partners now own a good chunk of the company, as does the French state. The last good Peugeot was the 406, I think things started to go downhill with the 206 and the 307 really was a fuck-up, on a par with the Cavalier/Vectra B situation.

Renault have pissed on their chips big time as well but that's more to do with poor reliability.

My mates Mrs had a 207 that has spazmodic rear lights and various dramatic warnings on the dash. When he phoned up various autosparks all he got was "don't do peugeots mate". He couldn't get anyone to look at it so traded it for a Corsa.

I really true believe though as much as the multiplex wiring on modernish Pugs can be a dark art....in my own experience your as likely to get electrical maladies or niggles if you bought a noughties Beemer or Audi. My old man's X3 when brand new shat out its rear reversing sensors within a month...and the dealer could never get them to work again......then the radio played up.....which involved replacing half of the dashboard...which took 4 months of being on back order. And don't get me started on my exes Audi tt....the biggest pile of electrical tat ever to grace this earth. Electrical mirth isn't entirely exclusive to Peugeot as many would seem to believe........

i drive a(1 of 10) 208 eHDi feline for work and i agree about the tiny little niggles that really start to piss one off

• auto wipers- spitting doesnt need speed 1
  • power saving- mode as above grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • auto headlights- no the lights dont need to be on its 3 o'clock in the afternoon FFS
  • front and rear washeers- cant do a small squirt just to get screen damp enough for a flick oh no it has a "wash/wipe cycle" that has to be adhered to
  • why is it not easier to obtain a smooth gear exchange???

having said all that it drives nicer than the polio slowmotions that they replaced and the seats are better and the ride is better and the headlights actually light- polo always felt dangerous above 50 in the dark without main beam!

Don't usually agree with this type of thing that TG do but in this case, I'm with all of you on this, they did nail it. After the 90's it all went a bit west, the 205,106,306 & 406 were the last decent ones as said above. Have a 205GTi as a keeper car (had 4 over the last 20 years) and a 406TD as a daily hack (my 2nd) currently plus have had both 306 & 106's in the past. Yes, they are a bit fragile (trim esp if abused) and the paint is a little thin but they don't go rusty anywhere near as bad (or at all on my two) as many rivals. They can be fixed if sometimes the jobs are somewhat awkward and in my experience, are reliable if you spend a bit of time looking after them (I know that's a problem for some). Plus they are enjoyable to drive and nice to look at which is a bonus.

I've read one of the reasons the handling/ride went to pot was their head suspension chap retired and there was no-one in the company who was able to pick up the reins and fill the position like he did. Don't know how true/relevent this is though.

The 206 isn't a totally bad car, it's just all a bit average, a bit So what? Why am I buying one as opposed to any number of its rivals that do the same job? I know a couple of people who've owned them from new/near new and have managed big milages without too many issues.

The rest, 207, 307,308, 407 etc are just awful to look at and are pretty awful to drive (can't comment on the 207 as not tried one), made even worse if you've experienced the 90's cars. And wtf was the 1007 etc about?

To be fair, I will say I've heard the new 208 is supposed to be a great improvement on 206/7, more 205-like, but time will tell.

Also, I note I'm not the only one who thought the 505 they showed looked fantastic! Haven't seen one on the street in ages.

A lot of the electronic stuff can be adjusted with Peugeot Planet, although I'd agree this is a nuisance and you'd hope that they'd get it right when the car left the production line.On my Pug I've adjusted the auto headlamps so they're on all the time because Croatia has compulsory headlamps during the winter months (it's a nuisance but the locals seem to have trouble knowing when it gets dark enough to need their lights on), it saves me having to remember and it's easy enough to turn the function off.

I've got no real issue with economy mode (power saver?), it's a nuisance if I want to play music while I'm washing it but I accept it probably knows more about the state of the battery than I do and a flat battery is always a PITA.

I do remember my dad having a 207 courtesy car whilst his was in for regular servicing and whatnot, and he came down to Pompey to pick me up from uni, and he hated it. It was Gutless and felt claustrophobic, I think were his biggest issues.

It feels strange, and I haven't looked far, but I've not seen or heard 1 person turn around and say that TG was wrong about that skit, which is weird, seeing as we know how all Marina owners react.

And the 1007, well I say bravo for trying at least. We often complain on here that modernz all look the same etc, well this was a bit different, with the slidey doors which reduced performance capacity greatly due to their weight, but then again performance wasn't high up on their intended market's priorities, it was just so you could get to bridge club even if the rheumatism was acting up a bit that day. Actually, that was another TG piece which was brilliant back in the day (though sadly Clarkson's mother is no longer with us)

The main problem with Peugeot the past decade or so has been the marketing.Whilst all the other mainstream manufacturers have been developing 'halo' effect models,for instance Ford have ressurected their Rs branding to good effect, and Renault their own Rallye sports.Peugeot who had built up such a tremendous reputation with its Sr Gti and Rallye models of its cars during the 80s and 90s decided for some god unforsaken reason to put up its pipe and slippers during the turn of the millennium....

Interesting, since for the past 40 odd years I have never associated Peugeot with anything but pipes and slippers. Or beret wearing Parisian cabbies chewing the tip of their Gitanes Mais. Some Frenchmen I've never heard of occasionally losing the Safari Rally in one against a Toyota Corolla or Datsun Sunny, or winning Le Mans when Porsche stays at home watching it on the telly, or festooning a Diesel estate with a badge containing an 'S', 'X' or 'G' hitherto failed to make me believe Peugeots have sportive prowess.

What puts me off replacing my 405 with a newer one is that the later Peugeots have hilariously grotesque styling. I just couldn't bear the sight in my front garden and I'm convinced my view is shared (oh, the pun!) by many others and that Peugeot is in dire straights for this reason and not because they left it to the barry boys to put daft alloys and a rally stripe kit on their cars.