Richard

Do you really need to be that quick to get a 2.5D Volvo wagon? Thats probably why I missed a few and ended up with the Merc.

Let us know how you get on with it.

Do these have an 80l tank as well? When I brimmed my S80 it did 100 miles before moving from full, then the bottom "half" of the gauge would last 200 miles or so.

Interesting theory Richard.

I must say, my Thai 850 interior looks nice, but the trim is surprisingly fragile.

(Though that might be a factor of 20 years of tropical heat, and having suffered repeated removals and re-fitting by incompetent grease monkeys.)

Do you have a theory to explain why this manual V70 feels slower than your auto 850?

Certainly the door releases and seat trays on the 850 are reminiscent of the 700 range.

The V70 dash may be more generic but (perhaps superficially?) seems better built with tighter shut lines around the glovebox. I seem to recall Volvo's 'excuse' for their 700 and 850-era dashboards appearing very plasticky and low tech was something to do with slush moulding which was more environmentally friendly. I don't know much about that but although they appeared to be made of Airfix they were durable, in non-Thai conditions at least, unlike (say) a mk1 405's.

The C5 estate going to be up for sale then?

uDS1WAv.jpg?1

Here's one that moved east, about 9 miles, to my house. It's a fairly boggo (no A/C but a sunroof, velour) V70 TDI automatic with 144k, it needs a new wheel bearing and a timing belt in the near future, but it goes and drives well.

I've always wanted to try an 850 or V70, a ride in Richard's 850 TDI impressed me enough to acquire one.

We have two greyhounds, so the dealer fitted dog guard is a bonus, it's great being able to take the dogs out with us.

One of the previous owners has fitted a freer flowing and slightly Barry-ish back box, but the five pot TDI sounds bloody brilliant through it.

I'm a bit disappointed with the jittery ride quality, but it handles a lot better than old Volvos.

Didn't know you'd joined the SVM L_P! Is the V70 proving to be happy enough on the old veg?

Over the bumps, my 850 does feel 'heavy', and not in a good (Jag-like) way; but it does corner impressively flat for an old barge, and clings on well. It's on the standard 15"s.