Grimmest car to pick up a date in

Station

I can remember being told by one girlfriend (daddy had a Rolls Royce) never to bring my HB Viva into the drive because it had a leaking sump gasket and left black puddles behind.

Nowadays, as we mostly have Citroens I never park on people's drives.

I had to abandon a few POF dates when my Leon started trying to exit pistons through the head and I had to wait for a new engine to turn up, and then a lovely shiter in a red and white landrover to lob it in for me. So a few ladies never experienced it, however when I took current Mrs_Pillock out on one of our first dates the car did decide to throw a brake pad which led to a rather brown trouser moment when I wanted brakes on the M1 and got a footfull of carpet.

But I repaid her by getting to chuck the old engine in a van for me, I couldn't lift it.

Bobthebeard, on 17 Nov 2015 - 1:08 PM, said:

During those months I had a REALLY shit Landrover lightweight that a mate lent me owing to having no car at the time. It was fitted with a shagged out BMC taxi engine and the fuel tank was a 25 litre drum under the seat.

Being temporarily single, and working in a factory I really fancied my chances with the receptionist. We got on well, had a lot of laughs and she asked me out.. I agreed and went to meet her as arranged.

She took one look at the Landrover and started to make her excuses. She actually ridiculed me for driving such a vehicle! I realised then that I was a massive idiot and crawled back to Mrs B.

I dated an ex-BA stewardess for a while when I had my Lightweight Land Rover, she thought it was ace ;-)

• 1 year later...

This:

http://autoshite.com/topic/27127-proton-mpi-pineapple-edition-%C2%A3100-fife/

I did pick up a girl in one of these and every time I see one I think of that moment.

I can imagine the nerves from the first date alongside praying that shes one of those that recognises character in old cars. "Which ones yours?" She'll ask as you collect her from the train station, and you hesitate for a moment and say "the green one, with the bits of white and the blue bonnet"

Extra bonus points if she decides you're not the one and then updates her online dating profile with a warning about not wanting to be contacted by anyone with a multicoloured car.

Ouch!

You should be careful throwing accusations around like that, Station. Don't want to go making enemies. *snigger*

However, I've never seen this thread before, and in an act of self-deprecation, I'll have to nominate my current scabby Xantia. Mainly because the sum total of dates I've been on during the ownership of it is a big, fat, ZERO. Not really the car's fault, though, is it? I think it's more the owner's fault.

I took a lass out in a Mercedes 450SE (116) which sounds like a good start, but, the interior was covered in plastic sheets and I made a joke about keeping it clean when I murdered her... date went surprisingly well! :)

Plastic sheets 'cos it was leaking like a sieve and all the seats were wet.

Guest bangerfan101

Fiat uno with leaking windows and damp seats.

Dented the bonnet having some sexy fun in Yorkshire sculpture Park car park.

Before it became popular with doggers

Suzuki Cappuccino...

The size (or lack of) of it for starters..."IS it actually safe being that small?", then having to talk her about the best way to get into the car. Then having to explain how to fold yourself into the car. Then when on the move, being in what was essentially a go-kart on the road means theirs always a chance some twat badger in a Range Rover won't see you and just try and plow into you while changing lanes. Passengers always love that. 

Meal was okay, film was shit. (One of Will Ferrell's shit ones) 

Before heading back to drop her off, she asked since it was a convertible if I could take the top off (I was wanting to ask her the same thing...). Now of course it's not any old convertible roof, it's a T-Bar-targa-drop top. So Take the pannle's off and store them in the boot as well as slide the rear window/roof bar behind me. The weather was alright and by my guess meant no chance of rain...

It decided to rain. So having to stop in the rain and assemble the roof quickly is't exactly going to win you any points. 

4/10 would not use for a date again.

As for the car...

I picked a date up in my RX7. She loved the car but when she got out, she used the centre console to heave herself out of the car. I remember hearing that cracking sound that only 19 year old Bakeliteesque plastic makes that was really brittle even when it came out of the mould, and going 'oooooooof'. All the holding clips broke off. :( also asked why it stank of petrol.