Rusty Triumphs in Scotland - Dolomite in "most reliable" shocker - 08/02/24

captain_70s

I'm starting to think that if Barrett and Captain 70s get too close they'll form an event horizon which will transport EVERYONE back to 1978. Which would be fine I think for most of us, except there would be no Corsas, XM, ZXs, BXs or Volvo 740s and Le Testicle would need to spend his time inventing the K-series again, only properly

The Corsa would be a Chevette, the XM would be the CX, BX would be the GS, 740 would be the 240. The K-series is pretty much every British engine from the 60s/70s anyway, a fairly decent overall design with a couple of major flaws which render it a ticking time bomb.

I can't think of a single reason to avoid this...

Seth of this forum put an MX5 engine in his Herald because he was fed up with having to rebuild the Triumph unit, that might be an option for the 1300. He put carbs on it and know-alls at shows regularly identify it as a British engine of the period.

If you're looking for spares there is a Triumph on its side in the woods here https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@57.660979,-2.356346,3a,15y,318.4h,81.77t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sM6Nlaw7F3Y0ZvSypM5frhQ!2e0 I can't see it on Streetview but you see it on your left as you drive down. The house looks quite welcoming, if you're a character in a horror film. 

Edit- Found it, it's leaning on the boat.

Guest Breadvan72

Although I LERRRVE Captain 70s, his cars, his clothes (I have some similar duds), his shades and his tache, I also HATEZ him.  Why?  Well, I have VOWED not to buy a SINGLE car this year.  I am about to move house, all recent car purchases have been even more explodey and shite than usual, and I am skinter than a skintass skinty person who is a bit skint.  To cap it all, next year I will have a whacking great tax bill and I must save up for that.  

Naturally, therefore, I am now spending hours looking at this:-

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C546341

I blame Captain 70s for this.   A Sprint at that price has just got to be a World of Trouble.   Indeed, some say that a Sprint at any price is a World of Trouble.  I would want it as a daily driver, natch.   I think I shall resist, but I am finding it hard.  

I suggest you git your 70s ass down to scotoshite next week!

Surely a 3hr each way run is just what the yellow peril needs?

I'm currently flat broke on account of moving out of my parent's place and into a house, also I can't be arsed venturing further south of Dundee. :P

I blame Captain 70s for this.   A Sprint at that price has just got to be a World of Trouble.   Indeed, some say that a Sprint at any price is a World of Trouble.  I would want it as a daily driver, natch.   I think I shall resist, but I am finding it hard.  

It'd be a disaster, I fully endorse the idea of buying it.

I suggest that Shitefest 2015 be held in Captain 70s' front porch.  Velvet clothing will be compulsory.

I do have a substantial driveway... compulsory clothing is a bit harsh though, corduroy will be acceptable as well, turn up in platform shoes and I'd buy you a drink at the pub...

Guest Breadvan72

FARK.  That yellow Dolomite Sprint is still for sale.  Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggg. 

Anyone ever had  one?  Please tell me they are a bunch of arse.

Seth of this forum put an MX5 engine in his Herald because he was fed up with having to rebuild the Triumph unit, that might be an option for the 1300. He put carbs on it and know-alls at shows regularly identify it as a British engine of the period.

If you're looking for spares there is a Triumph on its side in the woods here https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@57.660979,-2.356346,3a,15y,318.4h,81.77t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sM6Nlaw7F3Y0ZvSypM5frhQ!2e0 I can't see it on Streetview but you see it on your left as you drive down. The house looks quite welcoming, if you're a character in a horror film. 

Edit- Found it, it's leaning on the boat.

How on earth did you find that? I bow to your superior car spotting skills

No harm indeed, but my old mate had a fwd 1300 and that was really refined, fast too. Dollies always felt a little fragile by comparison, which didn't stop me having one for a while.

They may have felt fragile after what had come before, but my rotten old 1300 was tough as tough and I failed to break it over many abusive miles. Lovely driving position, why has that been lost forever?

I do have a substantial driveway... compulsory clothing is a bit harsh though, corduroy will be acceptable as well, turn up in platform shoes and I'd buy you a drink at the pub...

From a Yorkshireman in Scotland? I can hear hell freezing over...

Welcome in buddy, told you you'd like it here!