Rusty Triumphs in Scotland - Dolomite in "most reliable" shocker - 08/02/24

captain_70s

capitan 70s  i have a spare what i belive is a 1300 engine it was was sold to me as a 1300 i bought about 8 years ago for my 1300 spitfire project which im now selling i checked the engine this morning and still turns over i removed rocker shaft when it got it so that nothing could get in the bores. i can take the head off to check the bores for you if you want but you can have the engine for free it would need a rebiuld as i dont know when it ran last. here is a few pics of it  ive put one of the engine number if that helps identifdy it.

post-20639-0-31874100-1544303569_thumb.jpg

post-20639-0-94575000-1544303575_thumb.jpg

post-20639-0-20079800-1544303583_thumb.jpg

I'm going to say scrap it too.

Not because I think it should be scrapped, but many said similar on your Acclaim. Then you went off, did a weldathon and got an MOT while it was still being debated on here what you should be doing with it.

So saying the same means it'll be fixed by teatime next Sunday... :D

I’d just accept that the car has had a good life and weigh/sell it. When the likes of the Bramz 518i can be bought for 400 quid - still a useful and pleasant/reliable car - fixing a rotten Dolomite with a fucked engine is futile.

I am minded to agree with the good Reverend, ultimately it's up to you but this would be an ideal time if you fancy a change and could still make some cash from the car.

I'm going to say scrap it too.

Not because I think it should be scrapped, but many said similar on your Acclaim. Then you went off, did a weldathon and got an MOT while it was still being debated on here what you should be doing with it.

So saying the same means it'll be fixed by teatime next Sunday... :D

Have none of you read this thread?

It's a tough call.

You obviously like the small green Dolopshite and if we can get an engine up to you then it stands a fighting chance. I should hopefully hear over the next couple of days if he still has them or if they've been lobbed.

My own personal opinion is that every small Triumph saloon should be saved no matter what is irrelevant. Mostly due to the fact that I'm an idiot when it comes to small Triumphs. Current case in point. 

Personally I'd get the engine swapped or rebuilt; there are still plenty of lower spec dollies about, and values are slowly appreciating now. In the photos and videos I've seen on this thread the car looks structurally sound and would make a good base for a full or rolling restoration. Appreciate I've not seen the car in the metal and looks can be deceptive. Anyone on the forum nearby that could store the car for you until you know what you're doing?

If you don't keep it then I'm sure another shiter would save Dolly.

There are no plans to weigh in the car, for several reasons.

A - I like it and have owned it long enough to discover the vast amount of it's foibles

B - It's worth fuck all and money made from getting rid wouldn't fund anything better.

C - Parts are easy to find and fit.

D - I've no interest in parting with money for a modern car.

E - Due to MOT/tax exempt there are no upkeep costs aside from repairs/fuel/consumables

I have the Acclaim for daily duties so no worries there. Probably should have used that for the trip down to Carlisle and back in the first place but I prefer driving the Doloshite. It should be noted that I've never really been working on the principles of bangernomics, every car I buy I intend to maintain/keep until I no longer want to own it, rather than until it becomes financially unviable to repair.

I will have to make some substantial changes in my life though. I have to accept that my current income isn't enough to fund the things I want to achieve and that my flat, as nice as it is, is no longer meeting my requirements which have changed since I first moved here.

Post Christmas I'll have to double down on the job hunt and also find new accommodation, namely one featuring a second bedroom and a driveway/garage. Girlfriend_70s wants to move in with me once she finishes uni next year as well and splitting rental costs (I currently pay more in rent than any of my mates due to the fact I live alone) will result in more spare cash.

Liked because of this..

I will have to make some substantial changes in my life though. I have to accept that my current income isn't enough to fund the things I want to achieve and that my flat, as nice as it is, is no longer meeting my requirements which have changed since I first moved here.

Post Christmas I'll have to double down on the job hunt and also find new accommodation, namely one featuring a second bedroom and a driveway/garage. Girlfriend_70s wants to move in with me once she finishes uni next year as well and splitting rental costs (I currently pay more in rent than any of my mates due to the fact I live alone) will result in more spare cash.

A driveway and garage was/is a game changer for me working on cars. Before I could only use them like appliances. Once I moved out of a houseshare into a rented place with a garage, I could suddenly start spannering with some confidence. The only thing to watch out is that you still can move quickly+easily if you get turfed out in 6 months. Or is Scottish rental laws a bit different in that regard?

This is good news. To all those saying scrap it, there can't be many cars with a more easily removable engine.

Take the front carpet out and there's a big panel that covers the gearbox. Once that's out you can sit in the comfort of the drivers seat and undo the prop and bellhousing bolts to pull the gearbox back. Couple of engine mounts, both manifolds are held on by the same studs, radiator, a few wires and bingo. It's almost as quick as it took me to type it.

EDIT: actually with the rad out you may be able to pull the engine forward without disturbing the gearbox, though you still have to do the bellhousing bolts and with the gearbox pulled back the engine will lift straight out vertically.

sounds like all you need to remove the lump is a scaffold plank and a couple of tow strops, take bonnet off to prevent damage, rad out, scaffold plank across the wings, shackle to something solid and once everything is unbolted it is a straight lift. forgot how easy rwd cars are to work on, plus you can keep the chassis rolling