Rusty Triumphs in Scotland - Dolomite in "most reliable" shocker - 08/02/24

captain_70s

Capt - you sticking with 1300 only? Or a 1500 would do the job? I'll check with bro-in-law - I had a spare 1500 sitting in his place as I never took it with me. No clue if it's still there - but he never really throws anything for years then skips a shitload. I'll check if he's got rid……. It's in Sunderland

Sticking with 1300 I think.

On the basis that they're considered the best of the Triumph OHV engines and it'll save me hassle in declaring the car modified etc.

There are two 1500s in the yard up at Cornhill. They seem to be the most numerous varient of the engine kicking around.

If one turns up locally I may pounce on it but if it'll need transporting miles anyway I may as well hold out...

In other news I'm currently on the world's slowest train south. I'm hoping to get the car home before nightfall today...

How to recover a Triumph Doloshite:

Step 1 - Take a train to the station closest the car.

post-19482-0-07994000-1544808798_thumb.jpg

Step 2 - Walk to the exact location of the car.

post-19482-0-99924100-1544808860_thumb.jpg

Step 3 - Acquire a recovery man with a van.

post-19482-0-98120800-1544808897_thumb.jpg

Step 4 - Acquire a recovery man with a lorry.

post-19482-0-62140000-1544808932_thumb.jpg

Step 5 - Arrive home 8 hours later utterly shattered with a car that is utterly fucked.

post-19482-0-62452700-1544808978_thumb.jpg

Well, at least it's back now.

The 1500 looks identical, so you could easily use one in place of the 1300. Only the engine nr will give it away, and the likelihood of anyone checking / noticing is negligible, I would think. It's not like there'll be a vast difference in performance anyway, especially with the single carb. 

Bad times, especially as they seem to easily fetch triple figures on eBay on a regular basis!

JuridicalGrunt's unit is the best bet thus far but I need a way to transport it from Bedford. A quick look suggests that driving down will be a 14+ hour ordeal that would also cost over £100 in petrol and hinges on being able to fit the engine through the rear door of the Acclaim...

On the flipside he is in no rush to get rid and I'm in no rush to receive it. Going to get the car tomorrow, it's going to be cold as fuck.

The conveyance I am collecting tonight would accommodate the engine and achieve significantly better fuel economy on the trip. 

You're welcome to borrow it to go yourself or I'd be up for assisting.

I can confirm that a 1300 block will fit through the back door of a Dolomite, with the back seat removed obviously and the Acclaim looks a similar size. But that was a bare block which is a) lighter and b)has more bits to grab hold of. Carried it to one door sill then one of us went round to the other door to help pull it through. I'm sure a complete engine would physically fit but I wouldn't fancy trying to lift it in.

I can confirm that a 1300 block will fit through the back door of a Dolomite, with the back seat removed obviously and the Acclaim looks a similar size. But that was a bare block which is a) lighter and B) has more bits to grab hold of. Carried it to one door sill then one of us went round to the other door to help pull it through. I'm sure a complete engine would physically fit but I wouldn't fancy trying to lift it in.

Anyone got a number for Geoff Capes?

How to recover a Triumph Doloshite:

Step 3 - Acquire a recovery man with a van.

attachicon.gifIMG_20181214_140942395.jpg

Step 4 - Acquire a recovery man with a lorry.

its a dolly on a dolly, she is home how thats the main thing. start saving the pennies for parts, i hope the recovery bert took off the driveshaft as towing a rwd car with the driven wheels on the road is not good if you are turning gearbox shafts, only 4 bolts to drop a shaft

its a dolly on a dolly, she is home how thats the main thing. start saving the pennies for parts, i hope the recovery bert took off the driveshaft as towing a rwd car with the driven wheels on the road is not good if you are turning gearbox shafts, only 4 bolts to drop a shaft

Nah, left the driveshaft on as we weren't going far. General consensus seems to be that the Dolly OHV gearboxes are fine for towing sort distances without major damage although obviously low oil coverage will cause problems over long journeys.

The cars were genuinely washed with actual water etc. 5 trips up and down the stairs to fill the bucket between the two cars, hence why they hardly ever get washed... The Doloshite shines up alright when wet or for a while after a wax but needs a proper polish as the paint is dull as fuck, Brooklands is bad for fading.

Ms C drives up to Inverness more or less monthly, usually in the 405 estate.  I doubt I can fetch the engine from Bedford in time for the next trip (just after Xmas) but she is up for transporting it from Shropshire to Glasgow on the following trip so long as folk are available to help unload. 

Hahaha

Winner of "Street in shite bloom" 2018!

Seriously though, watch nae cunt kicks off on the way hame Fae the pub!

It survived last year so hopefully it'll be alright (it's even the same tinsel...)

Betterer pichure:

post-19482-0-46561400-1545146196_thumb.jpg

Ms C drives up to Inverness more or less monthly, usually in the 405 estate.  I doubt I can fetch the engine from Bedford in time for the next trip (just after Xmas) but she is up for transporting it from Shropshire to Glasgow on the following trip so long as folk are available to help unload. 

That'd be incredibly handy! There is no particular rush for the engine but if you throw me a PM we can discuss logysticks. :D

This is the first year I haven't tinselled one of my cars and you're the only other person I know that does it.  Not been feeling particularly festive this year but your tinsel shots made me smile anyway.

It was your cars which inspired me! The Civic lacked appropriate mounting points...

Cap'n - the save a Visa fund, would like to donate the balance of money raised to the save a Doloshite fund.

Can you please PM me your PayPal or bank deets?

Best regards,

Trustees of the save a Visa fund

On the case!