Rusty Triumphs in Scotland - Dolomite in "most reliable" shocker - 08/02/24

captain_70s

3 hours ago, Yoss said:

WLT 894! A Routemaster registration. That belongs to a friends son in Shaftesbury. He runs Shaftesbury and District Motor Services. They also have a real Routemaster, 654 CLT. He's had a few Dolomites and Routemasters in the 25 years I've known him. 

was about to say! Routemaster reg! RML894 to be exact which im pretty sure has featured in the ebay tat thread in the past...

Stop it with all the encouragement for stupid-powered engines in a car with marginal brakes.

We don't need yet another dead Scottish forum member!

Wait, he's not actually Scottish though. Carry on!

45 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

Needs an Invacar to be truly average 1995 street scene

there I said it! LOL

Enough. Just enough of this. Can you just stop making Invacar references everywhere and about everything? That's what your own Invacar thread is for. If you want to make a comment then just make the comment. If you want to add something wholesome to the conversation, then by all means but looking for Invacar references where there just aren't any is getting tiring.

8 minutes ago, davidfowler2000 said:

Enough. Just enough of this. Can you just stop making Invacar references everywhere and about everything? That's what your own Invacar thread is for. If you want to make a comment then just make the comment. If you want to add something wholesome to the conversation, then by all means but looking for Invacar references where there just aren't any is getting tiring.

Thanks soooooooooooooooo much for saying this!

18 minutes ago, GingerNuttz said:

Yeah it's a shame there wasn't one as i have a gallon of petrol and a blow torch in the garage ? 

Me and the guys could have had a bonfire while working on a real car 

3a7.jpg.434b081a837068c3ae7fcfab25a568b1.jpg

8 minutes ago, davidfowler2000 said:

He aint' wrong.

3 hours ago, davidfowler2000 said:

This. Just make it stop please. 

This is a 1300 front pulley I have knocking about in my garage. The other bit is the bit that sits behind the starter ring then you put the six bolts in and clamp the lot together.

IMG_20200720_202830.thumb.jpg.97f3d7bd912f8a1a2f2389fc7dd9c72c.jpg

But you'll notice on this one there are the stumps of four bolts still in it. 

IMG_20200720_202818.thumb.jpg.4d8d60ea5c5fe68bf176c89b64e7428c.jpg

That happened going up the M3, fortunately very close to J4A so I was able to get off and pull up somewhere safe (I didn't actually know what it was at that point, it just started to make a hell of a racket). If the other two had broken it would have been goodbye radiator. I'm convinced this happened because I put poly bushes in and they were slightly too large and too hard. The rubber ones were shot and I was slightly surprised that the poly bushes were even available as the FWD cars aren't well catered for. Needless to say I had another plate in my spares and went back to the rubber bushes. Why have I kept the knackered one? Who knows? 

But the point I'm rambling up to is that you can see the bit that slips in to the oil seal and a slightly wider section that the other plate sits over. I don't see why you can't just use the pulley on its own. 

I'm not familiar with Heralds but I looked up the timing cover in my book. 

IMG_20200720_203637.thumb.jpg.7431d4dddc0ef3d76760701e3d2a3aff.jpg

So it's part number 213205. If I then look that up in the numerical index (the book has both numerical and alphabetical indexes) it shows that it is unique to the 1300.

IMG_20200720_203151.thumb.jpg.f2fa6ea9a954ae482ef05fbc71181d4f.jpg

Those letters in the far right column indicate if the part was used on any other vehicle. You can see an O and an A and some more at the top. The code letters seem fairly random but this is they. 

IMG_20200720_203245.thumb.jpg.39d85c5fadf8a0a3aa1af761e6b3674c.jpg

I think my book predates the Herald 13/60. There's also no mention of the Mk3 Spitfire here either and I know my engine, a TC, is the same spec as that. 

Then it occurred to me that it may be a different part number because of the timing marks. The 1300 has a bit of metal tacked on the timing cover that lines up with a nick in the starter ring carrier.  

So I see no reason why you can't use the front pulley on it's own as it is. Even if you use the Herald timing cover you won't have any timing marks on the FWD pulley although this keyway is at TDC

IMG_20200720_211459.thumb.jpg.cdae42edcead11e398caf92ef3fe0af6.jpg

I wouldn't worry about this too much anyway if it's a decent engine. Just turn the distributor until it runs OK then advance it a bit at a time, go for a drive, do it again until it starts pinking the retard it slightly. 

EDIT :

Sorry, going a bit off topic here but I just noticed  part number 213287 in the picture above is a front skid plate! This book is great, has all options and variations for export markets but I didn't know it had rally spec stuff in as well. I'm now off to look at page 126.

I don't have the timing cover from the 1300fwd! It should be identical other than timing mark to the one on the 12/50 lump though, I shall be attempting to free it from the engine tomorrow...

With that liberated we should be able to put it together, only thing I'll have to do is acquire new pulleys for the water pump and alternator as the crank pulley for the older cars is smaller than a Dolly one so they'll spin at the wrong speed. We were initially discussing taking the two pulleys to a machine shop and having the fuckers machined to fit, it'll get done one way or another! ?

18 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

Needs an Invacar to be truly average 1995 street scene

there I said it! LOL

nice work on the Dolomite stuff btw :)

no, and ill tell you why. because by then no self respecting disabled person would be seen dead in a fucking invacar when they could get a metro or fezzy on motability  and not be derided and mocked by anyone. these things literally were shit not shite, offensive beacons of divisive intolerance. they should all have been destroyed to wipe this form of hatred symbolism out of modern society. well done for preserving something that is to most disabled people a form of hate. ? 

btw its a trike, try http://www.trikesrus.co.uk/the_club.php

Clearly not all people (disabled or otherwise) hate them, for reasons that ought to be self-evident.

I think you're points were probably true of them back in 95, in my view anyway as I hated them, but I think we've moved on since then and TBH the unlikelyhood of any surviving until now is an interesting story. 

Finally, destroying them and removing them from history is to remove the record of disabled prejudice you apparently hate so much. Should we destroy all records and symbols of slavery? Of totalitarianism? Of anything we wish not to repeat?

6 minutes ago, Sir Snipes said:

...., destroying them and removing them from history is to remove the record of disabled prejudice you apparently hate so much. Should we destroy all records and symbols of slavery? Of totalitarianism? Of anything we wish not to repeat?

Deleting history seems to be quite fashionable now.

1 hour ago, sloth said:

no, and ill tell you why. because by then no self respecting disabled person would be seen dead in a fucking invacar when they could get a metro or fezzy on motability  and not be derided and mocked by anyone. these things literally were shit not shite, offensive beacons of divisive intolerance. they should all have been destroyed to wipe this form of hatred symbolism out of modern society. well done for preserving something that is to most disabled people a form of hate. ? 

btw its a trike, try http://www.trikesrus.co.uk/the_club.php

One persons Passion for something is not always echoed by everyone. Also It would be a boring world if everyone liked the same things, I get lbf obsession with them as I'm pretty smitten with 80s lancias. But people don't always want to hear about them. 

Invacars are fine, the engines and gearboxes are interesting and they are a curious bit of social history. I don't think they should be erased, it was shit that they represent an era when the disabled were considered second classic citizens (at best), but equally they were the first access to mobility a lot of disabled people had following long periods of time where the general hope was they'd stay at home and quietly die outside of view... We can't say "oh, but they are shit compared to the things that came after", pretty much everything is always shit compared to what comes after - That's how progress works.

ANYWAY. BACK TO MY CARS IN MY THREAD THX

26 minutes ago, captain_70s said:

ANYWAY. BACK TO MY CARS IN MY THREAD THX

Holy fucking LMAO that ending LOL

I should have been expecting it, but I thought you sounded quite serious, especially given the previous "fun" you have with this neighbour, so I was not expecting that ending LOL

On 7/19/2020 at 8:28 PM, GingerNuttz said:

They can take 280bhp at least ?

As impressive as that car is, was it just me that was thinking he should just bloody change gear instead of bouncing of the rev limiter for ages!

Great to see progress is being made on this one and look forward to the starting and driving videos 

35 minutes ago, dave j said:

As impressive as that car is, was it just me that was thinking he should just bloody change gear instead of bouncing of the rev limiter for ages!

Great to see progress is being made on this one and look forward to the starting and driving videos 

He has an equally daft Acclaim. He's basically me*

On a semi-related note, @GingerNuttz, @320touring and @jaypee were discussing the concept of putting stupid engines in Dolomites on Sunday and while my old 1850 is properly ripe it'd make a hell of project car for making something that goes like the hammers of fuck...