Rusty Triumphs in Scotland - Dolomite in "most reliable" shocker - 08/02/24

captain_70s

6 minutes ago, CreepingJesus said:

One of those jobs where 'just' comes with a permanent asterisk. "We just* need to..." etc. Cap well and truly doffed, and as the forum seems to lack a 'teeth drying' emoji, you'll have to take it as read that I dried my teeth a few times, reading this.

?

is this what yer looking for? can be found by searching grimace in the emoji search bar :) 

6 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

?

is this what yer looking for? can be found by searching grimace in the emoji search bar :) 

Not quite, but cheers anyway, didn't realise there was such a thing as an emoji search bar!

Edit: I am on Chrome mobile, so it possibly isn't available to me.

As every bit of rubber on the car is fucked I figured I'd price up a full set of poly-bushes as recommended by the TDC.

Engine mounts: £140
Full suspension bush kit: £450 (with a 10% reduction due to being a kit)
Hardware: £70

£660.

Aye naw. That's a whole other car. She's getting shitty repo rubber made of cheese and I'll slowly fit poly bit at a time... You can get poly kits for far 1/2 the price, the main issue being that they are either garbage that don't fit or stiffer than the original spec and cause the whole car to buzz and ride like shit...

The tdc is geared up for people with lots of disposable income, I'm sure the other month some of the members were saying 850 odd quid for a NOS front wing was about the right price, more fool them imo.

I think keeping these in good fettle on a working budget is far more interesting.

owners club mongs are the reason i have stripped and scrapped 3  rusty 2500 saloons for parts for my 2500.  $650 for a clutch? nah full man o.d runner with galloping rot and a near new clutch for $200 thanks. 

as for rimmers, dont get me going. 

enjoying the dolloposhite progress.  i know its a bit of a bleh idea but could you not use the yellow one for parts? is it as bad as the green?

I think the TDC currently exist to drum up Sprint values while the members moan about how they should be worth the same as RS2000s...

I've heard good things about the quality of their parts but the prices are prohibitive. I'm also not a big fan of the fact they only sell to club members and asking why on the forum just gets a sarky "oh, we do sell to non-members, there is just an added £20 cost which comes with a year's club membership"...

The old yellow 1850 is utterly fucking fucked m8. Everything that's shagged on the 1300 is equally as bad on that + some entirely new areas of rot for good measure.

2 hours ago, captain_70s said:

I'm also not a big fan of the fact they only sell to club members and asking why on the forum just gets a sarky "oh, we do sell to non-members, there is just an added £20 cost which comes with a year's club membership"...

There is a good reason for this and it is foolish for them not to explain. If you sell car parts to the public, legally you have to have full liability insurance, to get which the product has to be tested to the same degree and extent as OE parts. The testing costs £££££ and the insurance then costs £££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ which means they would never sell any. Who would buy a track rod end for £1500? By selling only to club members, the testing is not required and the liability insurance a fraction of the cost.

I personally don't think their panel prices are too unreasonable, especially as they're pretty good quality. Also the range of panels is excellent and I'm sure many other classic car marque owners would love to have this sort of availability.

Parts prices for reference on people reading on:

https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/download/file.php?id=12411

The panels aren't terribly priced as they stand but are clearly horses for courses really, I wouldn't buy them as I dont earn enough money to avoid financial disaster so I watch expensive restos unfold on the tdc forum like a sort of Oliver twist character, eager and enthusiastic but massively rutted into a different strata with my 1220 square sheet of zintec and a recalcitrant £50 welder lol, either way cpt70s machine is getting some properly amazing skill on the bodywork so that's the main thing! 

7 hours ago, captain_70s said:

I think the TDC currently exist to drum up Sprint values while the members moan about how they should be worth the same as RS2000s...

I've heard good things about the quality of their parts but the prices are prohibitive. I'm also not a big fan of the fact they only sell to club members and asking why on the forum just gets a sarky "oh, we do sell to non-members, there is just an added £20 cost which comes with a year's club membership"...

The old yellow 1850 is utterly fucking fucked m8. Everything that's shagged on the 1300 is equally as bad on that + some entirely new areas of rot for good measure.

i suppose im lucky in that aussie big saloon owners do look out for each other as the cars are gettign sparse. the club is a bit more rigid but still ok.  theres a lad local to me with a chev ls1 in a sprint. its lethal.

whats the plans with the yellow un? my old primary school receptionist had one exactly the same in 1994. did sound nice. 

also moar acclaim.  keep up the good work :)

On 7/15/2020 at 8:21 PM, Saabnut said:

There is a good reason for this and it is foolish for them not to explain. If you sell car parts to the public, legally you have to have full liability insurance, to get which the product has to be tested to the same degree and extent as OE parts. The testing costs £££££ and the insurance then costs £££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ which means they would never sell any. Who would buy a track rod end for £1500? By selling only to club members, the testing is not required and the liability insurance a fraction of the cost.

Most bizarre why they don't actually say that... I suppose "we haven't had to have then tested" doesn't help sell panels, even if they're good.

On 7/15/2020 at 8:28 PM, SiC said:

I personally don't think their panel prices are too unreasonable, especially as they're pretty good quality. Also the range of panels is excellent and I'm sure many other classic car marque owners would love to have this sort of availability.

Parts prices for reference on people reading on:

https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/download/file.php?id=12411

Their panel prices aren't entirely out of the norm, but they're still expensive. To be fair you must have about £10k worth of hobby cars at the moment, I suspect you're closer to their intended market! ?

On 7/16/2020 at 1:08 AM, sloth said:

whats the plans with the yellow un? my old primary school receptionist had one exactly the same in 1994. did sound nice. 

also moar acclaim.  keep up the good work :)

Unsure on the old 1850, it's fucking rooted. It'd be a full strip down and restoration job if I dragged it out of it's field. I also have something else to sort first...

Namely the Acclaim, that's in the list to sort out once the Doloshite is finished

I still own the 1850.

Deal was that I dumped it in a field up North and said the guy who has the field could fuck about with it all he wanted and if he could be arsed putting it back on the road he was welcome to spin about in it. He's got no issue with me collecting the car whever as he's more into 90s Renaults anyway.

He actually acquired a new windscreen for it this morning...

No point in a drivetrain swap as I've no idea how good the 1850 lump is and they're a nightmare to work on....