Rusty Triumphs in Scotland - Dolomite in "most reliable" shocker - 08/02/24

captain_70s

1 hour ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Sounds good to me. Somewhere in Norfolk or Suffolk?

She’s in Lincolnshire, not far from Kings Lynn which is Norfolk I think? So many counties meet here I get confused. Last time I was down I got magazines from Beep near Wisbech, not far away but that was Cambridgeshire! I’ll come and meet you, hoping to camp in Norfolk if the weather suits :) 

11 hours ago, aldo135 said:

She’s in Lincolnshire, not far from Kings Lynn which is Norfolk I think? So many counties meet here I get confused. Last time I was down I got magazines from Beep near Wisbech, not far away but that was Cambridgeshire! I’ll come and meet you, hoping to camp in Norfolk if the weather suits :) 

Not mega local, but I'm sure we can work something out - send me a PM nearer the time.

21 hours ago, captain_70s said:

To celebrate the fucking thing decided it'd rather its driver's door won't stay closed unless you wedge it closed with your leg and lock it with the key, which is nice. *adds to the to-do list.

Bastard is fighting you all the way; it's like a dug that knows it's being taken to the vet.

Door fixed itself overnight. Woo!

1346312866_DSC_6478(Copy).thumb.jpg.9baf53cd9221e5e9c1032e2e9cf7bd2b.jpg

Today was move day. Mr @davidfowler2000 arrived at my flat at the exact same time I arrived home from work at around 14:40ish, his steed of choice was his Volvo V70 T6 AWD and a massive trailer was attached to the rear end - An ideal towing rig.

Within 30mins the space on my street previously occupied by a Dolomite didn't.

870807338_DSC_6488(Copy).thumb.jpg.1eae0c9d1e36610dc03cb398f4cd12db.jpg

Now, loading a non-running car with an engine in the boot onto a tilt bed trailer on a fairly narrow one-way street could have been an utter fuck about. Inexplicably it was easy...

1911018224_DSC_6481(Copy).thumb.jpg.d16075c8ea9b82ea443080784a880073.jpg

By parking the trailer facing downhill at the bottom of the road it was at a much gentler angle once lowered and with a couple of feet to get rolling before hitting the skids the Dolly simply rolled on via gravity. 

107597157_376806816618942_3719679150051749908_n.thumb.jpg.cde7a62286f1b3ade415890b8ec27cd2.jpg

The resulting combination was both aesthetically pleasing and very long...

The drive to the workshop was uneventful, the Volvo would still out-drag the Acclaim despite towing a car containing two cast iron engines...

1991407528_DSC_6497(Copy).thumb.jpg.94094398e19461297e826ea72292db61.jpg

Once at the workshop minor poking was done and the quality* of prior repairs was admired.

1202696012_DSC_6505(Copy).thumb.jpg.074bfca6480d763ef2532c4632df8ef8.jpg

327024723_DSC_6506(Copy).thumb.jpg.6db47d6a75ecf2e957a4a723924fff5e.jpg

88662725_DSC_6508(Copy).thumb.jpg.b1d42b6c9e94c9c3b98d9136f5ee83f8.jpg

@GingerNuttz's assessment of the bodywork was something along the lines of "pretty good overall" The real work begins on Saturday....

It'll get worse but hopefully not by miles. The only bit that's both fucked and a complicated shape is the front wing. Everything else is either a simple curve or under the skin.

It's the usual case of prior bodgery causing worse rot in the long term. If less of Isopon's finest had been used in the past there would be more salvageable metal left to work with.

It's reckoned both front wings and the valance are savable though so fingers crossed we'll have no major panel purchases.

Toying with the idea of spraying the car another shade of green as Brooklands fades like fuck and looks a bit de-saturated and dull in overcast conditions. Any recommendations for similar hues?

4 hours ago, captain_70s said:

It'll get worse but hopefully not by miles. The only bit that's both fucked and a complicated shape is the front wing. Everything else is either a simple curve or under the skin.

It's the usual case of prior bodgery causing worse rot in the long term. If less of Isopon's finest had been used in the past there would be more salvageable metal left to work with.

Very true, but, if you want to put a positive spin on that... if the bodges and isopon didn’t get used in the past it’s most likely the car wouldn’t still be here now.

hmm, how very unlike me to be positive!

Anyway, can’t wait to see this becoming unfucked.

11 hours ago, captain_70s said:

It's reckoned both front wings and the valance are savable though so fingers crossed we'll have no major panel purchases.

Toying with the idea of spraying the car another shade of green as Brooklands fades like fuck and looks a bit de-saturated and dull in overcast conditions. Any recommendations for similar hues?

I can recommend HAA Shitish Racing Green - I resprayed my formerly silver XJ-S in it 3 years ago and if anything it seems to have got a bit glossier over time. 

jag2d.jpg