Rusty Triumphs in Scotland - Dolomite in "most reliable" shocker - 08/02/24

captain_70s

From one badly wired (both car, and owner) old car enthusiast to another, never stop being who you are.  Whenever I'm having a crappy old time with the cars, or my head, I remember the absolute nonsense you've put up with and on occasion put yourself through, and it all seems okay again.  You're a constant reminder that bloody mindedness is really the only way to get anything done.

11 hours ago, vulgalour said:

From one badly wired (both car, and owner) old car enthusiast to another, never stop being who you are.  Whenever I'm having a crappy old time with the cars, or my head, I remember the absolute nonsense you've put up with and on occasion put yourself through, and it all seems okay again.  You're a constant reminder that bloody mindedness is really the only way to get anything done.

Ha! If you want to do something you've just got to keep throwing yourself at it until you get somewhere. Every dumb little thing I've encountered with the Triumphs has expanded my knowledge base and made me less scared to try and sort stuff myself. Even if something goes shite you learn from your mistakes and get a better understanding of how things work.

This was something I never understood a few years ago. I thought that I should be able to do everything right first time because I'd read up on it... It's rarely that simple. ?

My end goal is to have a garage/shed/workshop space where I can fix up shit old shit other people wouldn't be arsed with, just for the sake of doing so. Anything that goes towards achieving that goal; failures, successes, attempts, is all good. 

There’s a heck of a lot in that post that I can completely relate to c-70’s. I’m in my mid 30’s now though and never been able to get over/through the shit. I doubt I ever will tbh. I still don’t think I can do anything right, nothings ever done good enough, I get nowhere in life, the world hates me, etc etc etc...

Sometimes, one needs to take a step back and think about what you do do well, what you are good at, the good things you do have in life. I very very rarely do this myself of course!

Good to hear your gradually pulling yourself out of the rut though. In a weird way, the cars are the thing that pisses you off and cause all sorts of misery, but also the things you love and that you get so much pleasure from too. My Capri has done my head in for a long long time now, made me angry, miserable and (even more) depressed than I usually am, but I love having it, and I’d be absolutely heartbroken to lose it. I completely understand your desire to get your Triumph sorted and why you don’t just get rid and buy a better one. That’d be the easy option anyone can take, but it wouldn’t be ‘that’ car if you did.

I got lucky... I'd never have sought help apart from the fact work essentially forced me to as my lack of motivation and temperament swings were getting noticeable and increasingly frequent. I attended counselling with a great chap but by that point it was too little too late and I eventually snapped and lost my job. Then I ended up on anti-depressants that had a marked effect and with nothing much left to lose I just jumped at a chance for change and somehow managed to land it.

I'd say half the people I know have been, or are still on anti-depressants. It's a sad state of affairs but once your mental health traps you in a rut you really need to be dragged out by force. If my work hadn't pulled me in to the office because they were concerned about me and triggered my seeking of professional help there is a pretty good chance I'd be dead by now. It might not even be the pills, they could be a placebo, I don't care as long as it works. ? At that point the way I processed things, my perception of failure, my prioritisation of things in life in general, it changed and allowed me to actually make things better for myself.

To allow for flowery metaphor: I was trapped in a dark room, there was a door with light coming through the cracks between it and the frame, sometimes I'd peer through the cracks and get sight of a bright future and wish I was there. I never tried to open the door, obviously. It'd be locked, or I'd accidentally shove the door and close up the gaps, or I'd break my wrist operating the handle... Sometimes I'd ever so lightly touch the handle but the door never sprung open for me, it was stupid of me to even consider it.
I was in the room for years until finally I realised I was going to die in that room, the potential of fucking everything up by trying to open the door was unimportant because everything was utterly fucked anyway. Sure, I was surviving and technically on paper that's the goal but I hated it, so what was the point? So I went to open the door, I turned he handle and shoved against it, hard. The door just fell right off the hinges, and all the walls of the room fell over because they were just made of cardboard.
The only reason I was trapped in there for years was because I wouldn't really try to open the door. Well, that was fucking silly wasn't it.
Now I can look around at this new place properly. It's another huge room but better lit, and it's lined with doors with light shining through the cracks... So I try one and it's locked. Bugger. But I opened the first one, and now I have options, perhaps if I try enough doors I'll find a key to open the locked one? Perhaps I'll locate a big fuck off axe and chop through it? Perhaps I can just boot the fuck out of it until it opens? The only really shit option is to not try at all... 

mate, its okay not to be okay, i am still on the pills after 7 years now but they keep me on a relatively even keel, i have crashed, bounced back, thought i was okay and been to the edge. had it not been for my amazing partner netti aka flat4 i wouldnt have made it. then this year i took really ill in january, spent 3 and a bit months thinking i was dying, didnt even get to drive my volvo. Turned out it was a really deep seated infection. made me think, then came the virus lol

if you ever need a mate, you know where i am, you a good lad

23 minutes ago, big_al_granvia said:

aye its fucking fucked but weldable... did i recognise the open ended spanner used to remove the heater blower thingy... hope dad's af stuff is useful to you

Yup, those tools are providing sterling service and knowing my taste in motors probably will be doing for another 50 years! It also frees up my own cheapo set for modifying by way of bending and cutting for access into hard to reach areas...

Have a bonus BL shot!

BL.thumb.jpg.3c7f983acdced6724b598457d38a2769.jpg

1 hour ago, captain_70s said:

Have a video!

Did you mean to repeat your little monologue about needing a shower and a cuppa?

As for that welding, I suspect very much that you're going to need to remove the front subframe to be able to do it properly.  But it doesn't look that bad.

1 minute ago, Talbot said:

Did you mean to repeat your little monologue about needing a shower and a cuppa?

As for that welding, I suspect very much that you're going to need to remove the front subframe to be able to do it properly.  But it doesn't look that bad.

Nope, that's my standard editing fuck up. There's one in every video ?

Aye, subframe will need to come out for proper repairs.

Lightworks, 'cause it's free...

I remember deciding to move that clip to a different bit of the edit but I must have duplicated it rather than moving it!  This is what happens when you can't be arsed watching the whole thing once it's finished, proper BL style quality control...

I found myself watching a lot of people fannying about with cars on YouTube myself, so figured I'd give it a shot on the basis I mustn't be alone!

The main issue currently is finding the arsedness to actually produce stuff, the editing takes ages and drains one's will to live. It's also a bastard trying to film things at the side of the road with people walking past and traffic, I look like even more of a fucking maniac than usual and run the risk of some cunt making off with my camera....

I'm glad folk like the videos though, I'll keep doing text posts as well. It's quite unusual for the video to come before the write-up but I'm trying to put out a video every week. Partially because it helps the channel grow if you upload regularly and partially because it forces me to do shit to the cars. ?

I may well take you up on that offer post-lockdown, Al!

On 6/7/2020 at 10:31 PM, captain_70s said:

Yup, those tools are providing sterling service and knowing my taste in motors probably will be doing for another 50 years! It also frees up my own cheapo set for modifying by way of bending and cutting for access into hard to reach areas...

Have a bonus BL shot!

BL.thumb.jpg.3c7f983acdced6724b598457d38a2769.jpg

Phooar 

On 1/23/2020 at 7:59 PM, captain_70s said:

One can only hope, usually I'd say he's already suffered enough with having to drive a Corsa E but in this case I'll make an exception.

I'd not be surprised if it was surprisingly close. When I bumped a Mk6 Fiesta a few years back they wanted the best part of £400 for a new bumper alone...

We had some sort of small Peugeot rear end a bus a few years ago in icy conditions, the back end of the bus was stoved in but there was barely a mark on the car, or so it appeared until the girl driving it took it to the garage to get checked out, the chassis was twisted in the crash AND she was only 3rd party insured so lost her no claims with the claim we put in, lost her car and couldn't claim a penny of her losses. 

I do wonder about making videos, but have no content.

The 316 just plods along uneventfully!

In terms of the room / door metaphor I think I'm still somewhere in the middle of unscrewing the lock on the door from the inside. Not quite through yet.

I edited some videos a couple of years back, why is it so damn tedious, why no mega simple cut ,insert, paste functions, and why the need for the machine to spend ages processing something that it was happy to play as a preview,,,just save that bit! It put me off however in your case it's worth perseverance, who knows rimmer bros or moss parts might sponsor you and next thing you know the 1300 is restored,,,the 1850 is in getting welded,,somehow a house has been bought with pocket change haha! 

4 minutes ago, Jikovron said:

I edited some videos a couple of years back, why is it so damn tedious, why no mega simple cut ,insert, paste functions, and why the need for the machine to spend ages processing something that it was happy to play as a preview,,,just save that bit! It put me off however in your case it's worth perseverance, who knows rimmer bros or moss parts might sponsor you and next thing you know the 1300 is restored,,,the 1850 is in getting welded,,somehow a house has been bought with pocket change haha! 

The real youtube money is apparently in Minecraft videos. Somebody by the name of stompycat or something like that bought a house with their earnings. As in bought outright.

You hear of this all the time, Whilstlin diesel is my favourite as he turned the whole vlog money tree into a caricature,  he started out by severely abusing cheap pickups, then as the videos gained more and more vitriol and sort of by association money, he bought a 100,000 dollar SEMA F350 and did the same to it increasing his income! 

2 hours ago, Supernaut said:

I do wonder about making videos, but have no content.

The 316 just plods along uneventfully!

I had the same issue with the Acclaim, there is essentially nothing to say as it never needs anything outside of servicing and an annual tickle with the welder...

1 hour ago, Jikovron said:

I've no idea why the software seems so archaic, although I use free shit which may not be a help... I suspect the preview may be the clips being modified in real time as it's played back as my PC sometimes hangs and glitches when trying to play a heavily modified clip, hence why it needs exported into video file at the end

It took about 2 hours to edit the last video, then 30 mins for me to actually watch the whole thing back (fixing several audio issues that I'd missed) and then 20 mins to render it, then 15 mins to upload it. Hopefully I'll get faster with experience, I know @dollywobbler aims for something like 20mins  of editing per video which is pretty slick!

I don't really have a long term goal with the YouTube channel, I doubt it'll ever make any dosh. It's fairly telling that my biggest spike in views and subscribers was from FuriousDriving doing a video on an Acclaim, my videos must have cropped up in the recommended bit to the side!

I'll need to lend you the 740 so you can compare the 960/V90 to it's more humdrum, every day counterparts.

Then a proper road test of the V70 T6 so you can compare the B6304 in the 960 with the B6304T4 with an extra 50% power and about 80% more torque :)

On 6/15/2020 at 6:20 AM, Lacquer Peel said:

I enjoyed the Volvo video. The Volvo in line six sounds fruitier than I'd have expected. 

Sorry for the "well, actually", but it's actually a radio aerial on the side rear window. 

Diversity antenna. Multipath reduction, dontchaknow. Gotta have that FM stereo!