Rusty Triumphs in Scotland - Dolomite in "most reliable" shocker - 08/02/24

captain_70s

How about pushing my BX out of the lockup down Renfrew and getting on with it?

Would need a certain amount of organisation so it would be completed within the day so the BX could be rolled back in.

Certainly appreciated chap! 

If the stars can align I have a more or less fully equipped workshop about 11 miles from you at G78 1AA - can ask the big boss tomorrow if that is any better?

It'd certainly not hurt if you could ask, chap! Many thanks!

Put some petrol in a fairy liquid bottle and squirt it through her letterbox. Post a note through saying 'If you don't fuck right off, I'll light it the next time.'

I fear that'd put me in the "threatening behaviour" category from the "not actually breaking any laws" category.

Fixed my wheel arch anyways

post-19482-0-62296100-1551098327_thumb.jpg

Sharp edges? What sharp edges?

If the stars can align I have a more or less fully equipped workshop about 11 miles from you at G78 1AA - can ask the big boss tomorrow if that is any better?

It'd certainly not hurt if you could ask, chap! Many thanks!

After asking what the fuck I've bought now - nothing - boss has OK'd use of the facilities as long as I or a responsible keyholder is present... so as long as it works round my shifts or Mr Fowler can be present you're okay for our place.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

After asking what the fuck I've bought now - nothing - boss has OK'd use of the facilities as long as I or a responsible keyholder is present... so as long as it works round my shifts or Mr Fowler can be present you're okay for our place.

Excellent, that's grand news!

Cheers for offering and asking. :)

I've got a pair of Skoda Favorit wheelarch repair panels you could use if you want to give it a more modern, edgy look!

But seriously, I love the way this thread goes. With both this and the Acclaim every so often you post some minor disaster that has everybody thinking, surely he's going to scrap it now, but then you persevere. And being AS everyone starts throwing offers of help. It is a real pleasure to read.

• 2 weeks later...

So, the Acclaim is still broken having suffered total brake failure on the way to work last Friday (popped wheel cylinder) and the parts have still not arrived (posted on Sat)...

In cheerier news I just blew a load of money on something...

post-19482-0-52665800-1552565253_thumb.jpg

FUCK. I misdiagnosed the Acclaim's problem.

The wheel cylinder is fine, the mount which secures the brake pipe in place is attached to the shock, this has snapped off, the wiggling line has cracked at the union next to the wheel. Bollocking fuck sticks, that'll teach me to try and work out what's wrong with a car with the wheel still attached in the pouring rain. No local garage will be able to look at it until the end of next week...

Anybody in the Glasgow area have a pipe flaring tool I can borrow?

Bah, you and your ninja edits.

Rapid fire edit master.

Even if nobody has anything local it'll be cheaper and faster to buy a flaring kit, some unions and copper pipe online. However having just spent £85 on a repair panel and £23 on a taxi home from work last night I'm now flat broke...

Think I have some pipe, unions and a tool. Possibly even deliver tomorrow. The weather looks pish for the next couple of days. When do you plan to do it? 

Off to the garage to check what I have, I will report back.

Well we very nearly pulled it off! The mount has had a slot cut in it so it can be jubilee clipped to the strut body. This will be 100% solid once fitted and perfectly acceptable for MOT purposes. We didn't have a suitable jubilee clip to hand tonight so it's held on with a couple of cable ties for the time being. A new solid line has been made with 10mm unions and SAE flares as per the original copper line. Unfortunately the wheel cylinder has fubared threads and this looks like it may be the root of the original issue. There is also a question mark over whether the unions should be metric fine or UNF. Although the new 10mm union did screw into the flexi it was a bit on the tight side but we're not sure if it's just an old fitting or if the garage that originally fitted the line made it with the wrong fittings. I've left a couple of spare new 10mm fine unions so they can be tried in the new wheel cylinder when it arrives. If it turns out that UNF unions are needed then I'm on standby to make another line made once the fittings are found. Finger crossed for a postal delivery of the new cylinder tomorrow.

Great to meet Captain_70's tonight and pass a very pleasant couple of hours wielding spanners and talking about old cars on an uncharacteristic warm and dry evening in Glasgow.

Aye, we got to the bleeding stage before it was realised the union hadn't seated in the cylinder and had just eaten the threads!

Major thanks to blackboilersuit for popping over so soon, was a big help. Especially as he actually has some decent tools unlike the cheap toss I usually buy!

Fingers crossed the brake cylinder arrives tomorrow now it transpires I DO need it after all...

Cheers for the offers of aid from everybody. Fingers crossed I can end this week with a functional car...

Post!

post-19482-0-86378900-1552657506_thumb.jpg

post-19482-0-84433300-1552657512_thumb.jpg

The fittings left with the metric fine thread seem to fit the cylinder happily, so it should be a case of remove the old one, fit the new one and bleed.

Also the repair panels arrived, a genuine Hadrian Panels part from Canley Classics. As is usual with pattern parts it isn't amazing in terms of quality, certainly not £100 worth, but it is rare so I suppose it's worth what it's worth and will make life much easier!