New blue Poojo 205 (page 2)

holbeck

Glow plug control units cost around £50 so don't go kicking it out of bed straight away. My dash bulb is a bit iffy - I have a trick: when you get in turn the fan blowers on before you turn the key to the glowplug position, then when you turn the key listen to the fans speeding up after about 8 seconds - this is the glowplugs turning off and the voltage increase from the battery. If there is no change in fan noise or speed you know the "preheater control unit" is fucked.

^^ Thanks Will. Audible glow plug operation - FTW!

My contingency plan is to use a jump lead and do it myself (done that on contractors plant a few times, back in the day) .

Hopefully it will continue to function.

BTW, the alloys are now in the care of a friend who lives 30 miles away so I should be able to get hold of them in the next few days.

• 6 months later...

I little update. Sorry no photo's as I cant remember the password for my flickr account.

Several months and 6000 miles in, the 205 has been plodding back and forth to work with little in the way of drama.  Average fuel economy has been 53-55 mpg.

No oil added, no water added. Now due a service, although I'm putting it off until October as we are going to France and the supermarche is my place of choice to buy French car service items.

The only fail to proceed was the fuel pump solenoid, which was replaced for £6.99.

I've got a set of GTi pepperpots that came from 'explosive cabbage '. They've cleaned up nicely with Lidl rim-refurbish paint but as they are on scrap tyres they languish in the shed.

The steel wheels still have plenty of tread on and I am a skinflint.

So here it is, my new shite. Having missed out on several 205's and a ZX, I leapt at the chance to become the new owner of this.

A povo spec 205D

16342187317_f9535f6ce7_z.jpg001 by holbeck251, on Flickr

Effectively a one owner car, as it's been in the same hands since 1995, looking at the service history it's been well looked after by independent garages through most of that time. Clocking up 72K in the process

It seems to have been laid up for a year then presumably sold sans MOT to the bloke I've bought it off.

He's obviously turned a few quid by MOT'ing it and selling it on - nothing wrong with that.

I think I paid a fair price for a clean car with new MOT.

16340395688_4520c2316c_z.jpg004 by holbeck251, on Flickr

There's a couple of little niggle's like the boot lock is loose, and the jack and wheelbrace are missing (unless the 205 guru's amongst you are going to tell me they are in a secret place?)

I am surprised that it is running on 13 inch rims (155/70 13's infact), I thought as diesel it would be on 14's, maybe you know better?

cheers

H

It has the CORRECT and awesome steering wheel.  Agreed - a car for life.  Quite jealous!

Today was Poojo service day. It didn't go well.

Rather than wait until I had access to cheepo French Supermarche car parts I bought an air / fuel / oil filter pack of ebay.

This went wrong right from the off,  as the sump plug is stuck fast and worser still the plug itself is rounded off already.

I am nervous to attack it with too much gusto for fear of totally wrecking it and ending up having to drop the sump and drill it out. Grrrr.

• 2 years later...

Thread resurrection alert!

My old red 205 is long gone, I sold it to a work colleague a couple of years ago. Sadly it's not been seen for a little while.

Anyway, as I'm now the owner of the ex HMC Poojo 205, this seemed the best place to post about it.

post-4930-0-21575600-1519307259_thumb.jpg

First sight at HMC's office, where he kindly interrupted his working day to meet me.

Deal done, I pointed the car towards Okehampton and the A30 East, just stopping for a couple of snaps

post-4930-0-20039900-1519307274_thumb.jpg

post-4930-0-76472100-1519307285_thumb.jpg

Sorry not many pics, as I had to get back for the school run. 

It was only today that I managed to sort logistics and make the 205 the second car in my new garage.

post-4930-0-51514900-1519307864_thumb.jpg

post-4930-0-48095200-1519307879_thumb.jpg

205's have the handy trick of making any garage look bigger than it is.

if it is a pompe lucas there should be a stop lever to kill the moteur should le solenoid go French

I know something about these Solenoids. I could probably rebuild one if I had enough copper wire in the right diameter. .

I once visited Lucas Diesel Systems in La Rochel, where they had 5 Identical assembly stations and were making one every 7 seconds, and had selective assembly of the Plunger - the pull in distance impacts the ability to pull in against fuel pressure, so they tested it's speed in air, and then decided if they needed a shorter or longer plunger. They had 10 different sizes to choose from.

We at Lucas Control Systems Products were due to make the replacement with Lucas Electronics, as part of the Smart Solenoid project, which used voltage pulses to keep the plunger pulled in.