For sale: Vauxhall Astra automatic. MUCH CHEAPNESS.

Cavcraft

Another swiftly organised but completely painless purchase from CAVCRAFT.com

post-1381-0-09921000-1423688925_thumb.jpg

post-1381-0-49818100-1423689610_thumb.jpg

I'd have A-framed the bugger back behind the R8, but it was some distance to pull an automatic with its wheels down and I didn't want to screw up the gearbox, so we took the RAV and trailer.

We had a bit of fun* with the much-too-short ramps and then lashing the bugger to the deck with a combination of hairy old ropes and an odd pair of not-quite-up-to-the-job ratchet straps, but took it easy on the way home and it stayed put.

post-18246-0-64979800-1423316595.jpg

For me, the palm-sized dent above that nsr wheel spoil it a bit. We had a go at it with a toilet plunger and washing-up liquid, which did pull it, but it wouldn't stay out. When I get chance, I'll pop the trim off the inside and see if it'll stay right. The paint's ok there, and hopefully the metal's not creased, so fingers crossed for that.

The bumpers are faded, but also streaky as though they'd been painted with something water-based and it'd started washing off. So this morning, after 30 seconds with a sponge...

post-1381-0-32987700-1423691722_thumb.jpg

And another 30 on the back end:

post-1381-0-29879700-1423691826_thumb.jpg

How much better does that look now?

A11 SELRR WOOD BYE AGEN CHEARS BIILEE

Cheers Rob. Yeah, the easy stuff is rewarding. Billy did the hard bit (polishing), it was proper pogged when he got it:

post-18246-0-41150700-1422895987.jpg

Well, I don't know just how hard it was, as I've never actually polished a car.

Tell a lie, I did try it with actual Poundland Pledge knock-off once. That worked ok for a bit.

Anyway, good call on the door handles, I'll give them a go when I get a chance. I did notice they had some red residue on them from polish or T-cut or summert. Hope that's not permanent.

I agree the wheel trims are gopping. But as per Lada Samara, they're staying for now. The matter is out of my hands... more on that later. :D

Aye, back from the foreign, Chris. I'm a darker shade from working on the roof there, now freezing my bollocks off here. It's a hard life :)

Right, a bit more detail on this mingebag motor.

We bought it for "Auntie Ann", who is actually my father's first wife. She's been in the market for a small-ish, cheap-to-run hatchback for a bit now, to downsize from her 20 year old Discovery auto, and I figured there can't be owt much cheaper to keep on the road than a pov-spec mk3 Astra.

From Billy's ad, it was clearly a bit of a gem. Phone calls were made and a heated debate about how best to get it collected sharpish, but we worked it out.

We brought it back to Kirkby-in-Malhamdale and parked the whole rig outside the church overnight to save jack-knifing the lot on the corner made famous in "Will's First A-framing Adventure".

Yesterday morning I took my trigger spray of teak oil with me, and an old sponge (for the bumpers) SUCCESS, and a bog plunger (for the dent) FAIL.

Me and Pops_KJ then took it the 20 miles down to my tame MOT man, Jack_the_Test. He's away just now, but there's a good lad in charge, who had a quiet day and stuck it straight it the bay. We met Ann there too - she lives nearby, which is nice. She was impressed with the smartness of it, and the generous boot space.

The teak oil had dried a bit by this time, but still looked 10 times better, time will tell how long it lasts.

I made the call to Ann to ask for a progress report, she said it needed only a brake pipe, which was done straight away by the lads in the garage next door. Bill for work and MOT: £114. WINNAR!

We spent £40 on pez dragging it back,so that's a tidy, low mileage automatic with a fresh test for £354. Bargaintastic tax band an'all, this one.

Ann has asked the lads who did the brake pipe to give it a "full service", so we'll see what that turns out to be, and whether they decide to stick it up her. I hope not, it should be a mechanic's dream, this one, and bits'll be cheap. She's local and could be a good customer, so they should look after her. We'll see.

Anyone want a scruffy-looking pale blue Disco? Diesel, auto, five door. It's had an easy few years with Ann, no tow bar, no off road, no OLLI.

No more pics for now, I'm 20 miles away, but I hope to be over that way in the next few weeks to black up those door handles, and have a go at the dent, (cant wait to see that popped out!) Oh, and see how Ann is too, that's very important :)

Cheers all!

The Disco's also on an "M".

I'm a bit short of details at the mo, but another prolific shitter has already bagged first refusal via PM...

It won't be going anywhere for a few weeks yet. Fret not, I'll keep you all in the frame when the time comes.

Autoglym bumper care or Autosmart highstyle will work a treat on the bumpers..

TBH Ann isn't bothered about further beautifications, though next time I see the Astra, I'd like to have a quick go and see what I can do for free/quickly/easily, just for giggles.

Shame I can't be bothered to do much to smarten up my own wrecks...

What sort of infotainment and service/maintenance packages did you opt for?

LOLzorz!

Being fair to the old shed, despite it pissing in the face of leccy windows and central locks, it does have that working Vauxhall integral radio/CD player with HUD and temp sensor, and quad speakers. Decadent!

I'm genuinely made up at the MOT pass, I didn't think it would need much/anything, so that's a right result. Nice one!

Aye, me too. (And a bit relived, as it was someone else's money!)

But I was sure we'd have an outcome like this, I could just tell from the advert. So much so, I nearly asked you to get it through a test and sell it to Ann for £500 - she'd have been over the moon with that - but you have enough shite to fill your time, and that was before I worked out how we could make it happen ourselves.

Hey Billy, maybe a long shot, but click 'watch' on this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251831271037?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

If no-one else bids, there's a few quid to be made on it.

• 2 weeks later...

post-18246-0-64979800-1423316595.jpg

Remember this dented back quarter?

I trundled over to see Anne, have a poke about the old Disco, and attempt to pop out this imperfection.

post-1381-0-28422500-1424728311_thumb.jpg

You know a job's gonna go well when you choose the right size torx bit first time!

A couple bits of trim unscrewed, the felt pulled back, I squeezed my mitt in, and it popped right out.

post-1381-0-48491000-1424728398_thumb.jpg

Easy as that! It's not perfect, but it's 90% better, and we'll settle for that :)

Great work, I love when little easy jobs make a big difference.

As odd as this sounds, I think I really need to have one of these Astras for a bit, particularly a Red 3 door one just because I had an M-reg Cesaro in the same hue which me and an equally stupid mate bought before either of us had a licence, the cars clutch was burnt to a crisp and it needed loads of work. What the bloody hell we were going to do with it we don't know, even to this day.

So yeah, I'll just have to have one at some point to fill in that Astra-owning itch.

• 11 months later...

Yo Vaux-lickers!

A quick grin-inducing update on this beaut... straight though another test this week, apparently needing just a bulb! Win :D

I've not seen Ann or the Astra for nearly a year, I bet it's proper Pogweaseled and filthy by now, but according to her it's been brill for her, and has been faultless since I last visited. (That was on the way back from Bradford following Pleasure Wagon collection, when we swapped in the good battery from Will's 205; the Cavcraft-supplied one was on its way out.)

Verdict: Winner Wagon.

Aye, soon after Ann settled into the Astra, we sold her utterly minging old Disco to Gadget_Gricey (top bloke) who was the first to show interest via PM. He came up on the train and drove it back to the W.Mids. If I remember right, he moved it on after six months or so, as it was just too much of a munter for Mrs_Gricey.

He was warned!

I trundled over to see Anne, have a poke about the old Disco, and attempt to pop out this imperfection.

We had a go at it with a toilet plunger and washing-up liquid, which did pull it, but it wouldn't stay out.

We had a bit of fun* with the much-too-short ramps and then lashing the bugger to the deck with a combination of hairy old ropes

1962584_f520.jpg