Jump to content

Six Cylinders Motoring Notes


Recommended Posts

Unloading at the other end would be the issue. 

But With practice, Loading at the fields easy. 

Screenshot_20210117-222703.jpg.9b16fe3ae244bcad46afb969737c29f6.jpg

 

Failing that , the waffle board material may be a good start.  4 strips,  end to end with a length of angle section down either side would make a simple ramp.  But, costs soon come pretty close to buying those used already made ones. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Talbot said:

Edit:  anyone know what the clearance height is for the front bumper and front wings is on an invacar (height from ground to bodywork)

Edit2: Also, is there any information as to the weight distribution?  I'm guessing it's remarkably rear heavy, but have no data.

 

48 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Are you sure?  I think the existing wheel runners might be too far apart for the rear track of the invacar.

lets see :)

ground clearance on a Model 70 (unladen) is 8 inches (which is probably better then most SUVs these days amusingly LOL)

and the weight distribution is about 50-50, 50% on the rear left wheel and 50% on the rear right wheel LOL (I dont know the exact figures sadly but they are pretty much all of the weight over the rear wheels)

track of a Model 70 is 45.69 inches (about the same as Mini IIRC)

but the Villiers machines are narrower, an Invacar Mk12 has track of 40 inches (I sadly dont know the exact figures for any other Villiers machine)

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Andyrew said:

Unloading at the other end would be the issue. 

But With practice, Loading at the fields easy. 

Screenshot_20210117-222703.jpg.9b16fe3ae244bcad46afb969737c29f6.jpg

 

Failing that , the waffle board material may be a good start.  4 strips,  end to end with a length of angle section down either side would make a simple ramp.  But, costs soon come pretty close to buying those used already made ones. 

 

I am going to film you loading your Suzuki!

The off road waffle boards I have are very heavy and I would want something lighter. 

 

Dukes 01 copy.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

track of a Model 70 is 45.69 inches (about the same as Mini IIRC)

Mini is something like 47 inches, so yes very close indeed.

With the Model 70 being 1160mm track, you then have to take off two half-tyre widths to get the gap inbetween runners on a trailer.  Technically 1035mm, but realistically (as you can't really load a car millimeter perfect) you need a maximum of a meter between runners.

It's difficult to tell from a digital photo, but the runners on that trailer look quite a bit more than a meter apart.  The track on an MGB is 1250mm, so if the runners are a bit close to the dimensions of the track of an MGB, an Invacar might not fit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Mini is something like 47 inches, so yes very close indeed.

With the Model 70 being 1160mm track, you then have to take off two half-tyre widths to get the gap inbetween runners on a trailer.  Technically 1035mm, but realistically (as you can't really load a car millimeter perfect) you need a maximum of a meter between runners.

It's difficult to tell from a digital photo, but the runners on that trailer look quite a bit more than a meter apart.  The track on an MGB is 1250mm, so if the runners are a bit close to the dimensions of the track of an MGB, an Invacar might not fit.

This is the only Vehicle we have had on it so far.

IMG_20200915_111222 broad.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, camryv6 said:

Do you two not talk to each other in the house ?

It has been noted before and we have used this Forum as a method of communication because even after business hours we tend to do stuff in our own studies and Mrs6C is in the upstairs of the old part of the house and me downstairs in the new part of the house. Sometimes we meet in the kitchen, but not always! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

It has been noted before and we have used this Forum as a method of communication because even after business hours we tend to do stuff in our own studies and Mrs6C is in the upstairs of the old part of the house and me downstairs in the new part of the house. Sometimes we meet in the kitchen, but not always! 

I thought you would have staff to bring you food ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Toledo SORN update

I got an email to say call DVLA so I did, the lady says she can see where I had SORNed the Toledo and got the successful reply. She says will make sure I get no more letters threatening to fine me.

I never answered the phone when they called me because currently we are getting 3/4 unwelcome calls a day, all sorts of country codes including USA  and Norway. Who called web site says dangerous about some of them. I think the DVLA ones were the "unknown number" that I will not answer.

 

d9XMwXV.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

It has been noted before and we have used this Forum as a method of communication because even after business hours we tend to do stuff in our own studies and Mrs6C is in the upstairs of the old part of the house and me downstairs in the new part of the house. Sometimes we meet in the kitchen, but not always! 

When you say meet? Is that a Euphemism? In the kitchen ? I hope you are keeping all the work surfaces clean? 

Oh...how...... My mind is working today.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Toledo SORN update

I got an email to say call DVLA so I did, the lady says she can see where I had SORNed the Toledo and got the successful reply. She says will make sure I get no more letters threatening to fine me.

I never answered the phone when they called me because currently we are getting 3/4 unwelcome calls a day, all sorts of country codes including USA  and Norway. Who called web site says dangerous about some of them. I think the DVLA ones were the "unknown number" that I will not answer.

 

d9XMwXV.jpg

I got a call on the mobile from a "private number ", no other details at all, not even a number, so I ignored it. When I next spoke to the Police about the stolen trailer, she said that call was from them. Time and date was right. They  call it a private number because the dont want their number going to "the wrong people" !

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

It has been noted before and we have used this Forum as a method of communication because even after business hours we tend to do stuff in our own studies and Mrs6C is in the upstairs of the old part of the house and me downstairs in the new part of the house. Sometimes we meet in the kitchen, but not always! 

this is prolly why Claire hasn't "re-layed" the patio brookside style 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bobdisk said:

I got a call on the mobile from a "private number ", no other details at all, not even a number, so I ignored it. When I next spoke to the Police about the stolen trailer, she said that call was from them. Time and date was right. They  call it a private number because the dont want their number going to "the wrong people" !

But surely everyone knows that the police's phone number is 999?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, wuvvum said:

But surely everyone knows that the police's phone number is 999?

Dont be daft, this was not an emergency, it was a call from the Police's Occurrence Management Unit on a land line, as the caller said later, about my stolen trailer.  Bet you have never heard of that department. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...