Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

2 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

OK, ill set off earlier and go on my way, or drop you off at the FoD and nip back out

If your happy to go for either train and be safe in the knowledge that I'll be there just before/at 10 anyway so you may have to sit for 10 minutes, that sounds like it'll be alright! 

sounds good to me, and ill try and text you before 9 as well as to what train im most likely to end up on :) 

(I know it takes me about an hour to get from home to boarding the train at euston, so if I leave the house after 8:20 or so I know im not likely to make the 9:20!))

2 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

sounds good to me, and ill try and text you before 9 as well as to what train im most likely to end up on :) 

(I know it takes me about an hour to get from home to boarding the train at euston, so if I leave the house after 8:20 or so I know im not likely to make the 9:20!))

That works!

6 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

That works!

Any chance you guys could swing by here to pick up Dolly's carb en route?  Just saves me a trip over there today specifically to drop it off.

We're literally about five minutes from MKC Railway Station.  Can drop a PM with address etc.

I'm definitely planning to make an appearance one or both days over the weekend, just not sure when and I'd like that carb to be available sooner than later if folks want to tinker with Invacars!

If it's an inconvenience don't worry!  I'll just run it over this evening, just figured it was worth asking!

2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Any chance you guys could swing by here to pick up Dolly's carb en route?  Just saves me a trip over there today specifically to drop it off.

We're literally about five minutes from MKC Railway Station.  Can drop a PM with address etc.

I'm definitely planning to make an appearance one or both days over the weekend, just not sure when and I'd like that carb to be available sooner than later if folks want to tinker with Invacars!

If it's an inconvenience don't worry!  I'll just run it over this evening, just figured it was worth asking!

Yes,of course! 

Pm it to one of us and I'll bang it in Google when we leave the train station 

First job for today was to reassemble this so that it can be returned to its correct home tomorrow.

IMG_20200911_142243.thumb.jpg.37aef541ea1a2426d44389dbc3ccdeda.jpg

It wasn't hugely dirty, but one of the main differences between this and the previous rebuild was that this time I used a proper (used) gasket rather than a home made job from last time.  Given how tiny the idle jet passage is in this carb it's entirely possible this was an issue.  Fingers crossed this will get Dolly running properly.

Back to the Trevi.  First thing I wanted to do was to pull the carb and dump it in the ultrasonic cleaner.  While dismantling it became apparent that the line from the carb to the distributor advance unit was just starting to perish so I put a new hose on there in the interests of long term reliability.

IMG_20200911_151818.thumb.jpg.88a4571120a054e7ae3f58453547107c.jpg

The solenoid was something I had a bit of a think about.  The magnet was fine for a test, but I had visions of it falling off while driving so would rather come up with a less precarious solution to tide us over until a replacement solenoid could be sourced.  My eventual solution?  Wedge a bit of card down beside the armature so it stays retracted on its own.  It can still be removed with a good pull but hopefully will stay put for now.

IMG_20200911_155538.thumb.jpg.a5713f256905e820e4e68c53e56eef83.jpg

Once the carb was off it became immediately apparent that dumping it in the ultrasonic cleaner really wasn't going to be necessary.  While the outside is a bit grubby everything inside was spotless.  So I settled for removing all the jets/emulsion tubes and the idle fuel screw and blowing all the passages through and reassembling.  Someone has obviously been in here before as the gasket appears to be made of something halfway between card and newspaper...So a new gasket definitely wouldn't go amiss as air leaks around the top plate definitely could be an issue.

That's an easy job to do later with the carb in situ though, so it was put back together for now.

Next up was a coolant flush which I knew was rather urgently needed.  Quite HOW desperately needed became apparent once I started draining the coolant.

Yes, this is completely opaque and as neon orange as it looks.

IMG_20200911_162428.thumb.jpg.a0f295897c0b537c99693a9e0e71d434.jpg

I've split the bottom hose from where it attaches to the thermostat housing as the actual bottom hose connection on the radiator is almost entirely inaccessible without removing it from the car.  Given we know the radiator is clinging to life by pretty much entirely by willpower alone at this point I wasn't going to go to lengths like that nor get too aggressive with it.

Given the poor access and the sheer number of things the water was bouncing off on the way out of the engine bay it was no huge surprise that my attempts to capture the escaping coolant were about as successful as expected.

IMG_20200911_161853.thumb.jpg.5918bd029c45ecf45b78b5ccfdf18dd3.jpg

That hose shifted about ten seconds later when I wasn't looking and dumped an order of magnitude more water everywhere.  This better shows how opaque the coolant was!

IMG_20200911_162434.thumb.jpg.5c6243036fa969a9aea0f1d3c2e3e44c.jpg

It's almost entirely just rust and water though, there's no sign of any antifreeze I can detect, so I sighed, shrugged and just made a point of thoroughly rinsing down the area afterwards to ensure that anything was sufficiently diluted to eliminate any risks to cats etc.  This doesn't smell sweet like older antifreeze though - no, think "rank, stagnant pond water" in this case.

This is what was left in the (couple of week old) expansion tank after it was drained.

IMG_20200911_162525.thumb.jpg.658c348f9536470d894d96afbfdb764a.jpg

Yes, that is about 1/8" of rusty slime.

After about an hour of hosing, poking, shaking, spraying myself in the face etc, we did get clean water running through everywhere.

IMG_20200911_163839.thumb.jpg.14214db46c7adb6db7796e7c30dead19.jpg

Things were put back together...

IMG_20200911_164826.thumb.jpg.55d1ecccfc34ef2d1e06f77d14620ddc.jpg

The system refilled...

IMG_20200911_164853.thumb.jpg.b2af36fd327b1ba7b7e50b5c2288f130.jpg

Then started up - and I spent five minutes simultaneously juggling getting the carb dialled in and feeding coolant in as the air burped its way out of the system.  No prizes for guessing what the coolant looked like after about 30 seconds.

IMG_20200911_165904.thumb.jpg.8395d5a841008b2bff40a5f1ddeb7fec.jpg

This cooling system is going to need some real time spent on it to flush all this gunk out.  That's definitely a task for *after* there is a new radiator sitting next to the car waiting to be fitted though.  I suspect if you flush all the crud out of this one it would probably disappear.  Given the sheer amount of it in here I'd probably go for the dishwasher tab route here...but absolutely not until we've got a new radiator on standby!

To give some idea how much sediment I flushed out, here's the drive before I went after it with the hose to rinse it down - The water has all gone by this point.  It's about 1/4" deep at the left hand side of the frame by the garage door.  That's a lot of slime.

Oh, my OCD wouldn't let me leave the fuel lines as they were routed yesterday once I spotted where it looked like the little rubber bracket/guide seems like it's meant to live so I went back in and tidied that up.  Gave me an opportunity to sort the alternator belt tension as well as that was really loose.

IMG_20200911_173728.thumb.jpg.d5b35b319d769e4672d980fdb7628ffe.jpg

This little car really must not know what's happening to it right now!

Just hoping she's grateful for the attention rather than spiteful to have had the quiet slumber where she was slowly dissolving back to nature disturbed...

Either way I've enjoyed doing this work immensely (even if I was swearing at whoever decided where to position the thermostat and radiator bottom hose this afternoon!). 

41 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

This cooling system is going to need some real time spent on it to flush all this gunk out.  That's definitely a task for *after* there is a new radiator sitting next to the car waiting to be fitted.

Sounds like this might need the dishwasher tablet treatment several times over.

Excelent work on this though!  looks like it's been rather badly neglected and this was very overdue work.

1 hour ago, Talbot said:

Sounds like this might need the dishwasher tablet treatment several times over.

Excelent work on this though!  looks like it's been rather badly neglected and this was very overdue work.

I seem to recall reading that prior to Six-Cylinder getting the car (or possibly the owner before him) it had been in storage for something like 15 years, and was looking quite sorry for itself even before that.

It's just such a shame as there's a lovely little car under that neglect...and it's downright tragic they're so rare.  This work has definitely pushed one onto the wish list and "if I unexpectedly stumbled across one that was rotten beyond redemption in a shed I'd grab it and worry about it later" list.

5 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

it had been in storage for something like 15 years

Not really that bad then.  Any vehicle that has been parked up for an extended period is always going to need some significant re-commissioning work.  Given that the alternative was that it was scrapped rather than being parked up, it's a good thing that it still exists.

We’re not going to make it unfortunately.

After a particularly knackering week in work don’t really feel up to the 6 hour round trip.... plus increasing restrictions are making me uneasy considering I work around so many people and the last thing I’d want to do is put anyone else at risk (and there’s no way I’d be able to resist jumping in and out of cars with you all) 

So ahm oot sadly... 

On 9/10/2020 at 12:08 PM, Zelandeth said:

This seems to be a Fiat quirk that goes back to at least the 60s.  I've seen it in several other cars using their parts bin items and derivatives of them.

Lada for one.

IMG_20191019_154459.thumb.jpg.95cab24156cc5d222342d3b6e8282787.jpg

I have always wondered why they were like this...as it's present across pretty much their whole model range over a huge time period it's obviously a deliberate decision...but why?

I think whoever had the job of printing the speedometer dial face didn't pay attention to the actual sweep of the needle mechanism behind.

What happens, though, if you were to reposition the needle to point to zero. Would that adversely affect the accuracy of the rest of the speed readings?