Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

40 minutes ago, Slowsilver said:

If you do go ahead it should be relatively straightforward to minimise the risks. I think the two golden rules would be:

1. Maintain at least the two metre distancing at all times. - if beko farts no problem

2. Once you have fondled something it is exclusively yours for the day. OOER

Maybe you could start with a one day session rather than a whole weekend. With the above in mind I would suggest the following: watching beko polish something for hours (not a helmet obvs)  id last a coupla minutes :P

One person opens the gate, leaves it open so that nobody else needs to touch it, then closes it at the end of the day.
Cars parked maybe 3 or 4 metres apart. You have plenty of room to do this. car? what is this strange of which you speak
Everyone brings their own food and drink. im down with that noone would get a look in anyway :D
Each person picks a chair from the untouched pile up there, places it at least 2 metres (or preferably more) from any others, then uses the same chair all day and puts it back at the end. - i can bring my own motorised seat
Each person / family group picks a vehicle to tinker with and sticks with it, moving it away from any others being worked on if necessary. gs wont be there :(
We all bring and use only our own tools. what if you are one :D
We don't use the toilet. im not jim bell i think ill be ok :D
We have gloves and hand sanitiser available. see below :) 

Then if we leave the next session for at least a week any infection left up there should have died off.

Assuming these conditions can be met the Silvers would be up for a visit. It is only about 4 miles away from us anyway, so no long-distance travel involved. If it wasn't for bringing tools and stuff we could walk it! yeah get some exercise cut down on yer porklife mate :D

:)

IMG_20200530_112421.jpg

IMG_20200516_155313.jpg

32 minutes ago, Slowsilver said:

We don't use the toilet.

Crumbs! That could be a bit awkward with all the tea :-(

Suggest folk can just leave the door open (no-one will see!) and the lid up (did I say that?) and folk can bring their own loo roll to use...

We have disinfectant wipes for the loo seat.

The whole rule about no more than 6 people together, but you still have to maintain 2m distancing seems absolutely absurd when you consider how many people are in any Tesco store at any one time and how many of those are within 2m of each other.  Granted, the less you expose yourself to that sort of situation the better, but it still seems like the rules on what you can/can't do under certain circumstances are utterly dis-proportionate.

mat_the_cat's example above is a prime example.  "You must stay within 5 miles of home and not interact with anyone".  "Except if you're going to work, then travel all you want and do what you have to in proximity of others at work".  "Oh, or if you're going shopping, then again you can travel and do your best to stay away from others if you can"

That said, probably best to just wait a bit longer until the risk related to this situation is further reduced.  We've all made it nearly 11 weeks so far, another few might make all the difference.

3 hours ago, Talbot said:

The whole rule about no more than 6 people together, but you still have to maintain 2m distancing seems absolutely absurd when you consider how many people are in any Tesco store at any one time and how many of those are within 2m of each other.  .

None, I've been to tesco just now! 

After meeting mummy in Winslow Park (it had a fancy name, can't remember it) 

But then we went to their back garden after an hour in the park and it's the first time the kids have seen them since late Feb... 

IMG_20200530_123911.thumb.jpg.d99d22cc9f31a69c96f5fb9f86a25db9.jpg

Stayed a few hours, came home. 

IMG_20200530_133218.thumb.jpg.d5b2d7843b67d07c9d3371306a2e64bc.jpg

I've not got the kids this weekend, so I'm game. Can even bring my own chair for maximum non contact. 

And this toilet talk, I usually just leave it open. It's very peaceful taking a dump looking out over the field... 

eBay purchase of the day!

So I am reading there are concerns that it to soon to be mixing with others from some people and I respect that. This is all about if you want too!

I am keen to protect Mrs6C and myself, but feel if we stick to the guidelines we can minimise the risks to each other. 

Some might want to wait, others attend, but sit in there own chair, consume there own vittals and do or touch nothing. This is the FoD you are allowed to do what your like, within reason! 

We have lots of hand sanitiser, gloves and wipes but we will not be providing any food or drink.

We are just trying to sort out a first date which might be mid week and then I will announce it.

Wipes.jpg

I'd just be glad to talk to anyone except work colleagues and my mum for a bit really! 

I know their wanting to come and meet you but I'll not invite them yet. Won't tell the kids either, their screaming to come and see you! Driving to Winslow earlier they clocked the 413 was the way towards yours, bless! 

been thinking about this a lot

as im very excited at the prospect of seeing my Invacar again and after almost a year since I got her, of finally getting some proper work done towards getting her road worthy

but im worried given the situation at hand if id actually be able to get anything done, or if I can even get to the FoD in the first place given that im reliant on someone giving me a lift from MKC station to the FoD

ironically if I had REV on the road etc that would not be a problem and I could just drive down, bit of a chicken and egg problem eh! 

I’m happy to come and observe appropriate distancing.

I can’t see any additional risk beyond going into work/to a supermarket - in fact probably less because we will all be outside. TBH I would welcome some car chat with like minds!

I have hoovers for Beko and some books for Mrs 6c, so even if I just drink some tea and leave some items in an appropriately quarantined area I will have achieved something!

Also I have a couple of Mondeo books which slowsilver is welcome to borrow, if we can transfer them somehow....

9 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

I’m happy to come and observe appropriate distancing.

I can’t see any additional risk beyond going into work/to a supermarket - in fact probably less because we will all be outside. TBH I would welcome some car chat with like minds!

I have hoovers for Beko and some books for Mrs 6c, so even if I just drink some tea and leave some items in an appropriately quarantined area I will have achieved something!

Also I have a couple of Mondeo books which slowsilver is welcome to borrow, if we can transfer them somehow....

I've been busier with vacuums than ever! Using the garden and good weather as quarantine, if we just unload everything as soon as we get there, in a few hours it'll be safe to pick up I reckon. 

I'm happy to bring a big bottle of squash, a chair, some lunch, plenty of baccy and that'll do me! 

I just have to sit so your all to the left of me, as thats the only ear I can hear out of atm... 

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

been thinking about this a lot

as im very excited at the prospect of seeing my Invacar again and after almost a year since I got her, of finally getting some proper work done towards getting her road worthy

but im worried given the situation at hand if id actually be able to get anything done, or if I can even get to the FoD in the first place given that im reliant on someone giving me a lift from MKC station to the FoD

ironically if I had REV on the road etc that would not be a problem and I could just drive down, bit of a chicken and egg problem eh! 

That's the problem, rev isn't 2 metres long anyway... If something easy needs taking off and posting I could bring tools and assist, if it needs more than one person though, it probably won't happen

25 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

That's the problem, rev isn't 2 metres long anyway... If something easy needs taking off and posting I could bring tools and assist, if it needs more than one person though, it probably won't happen

15 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

I think sharing a car with somebody from another household is best avoided at the moment.

yeah exactly the problems I had feared etc

so I think thats me out of the game for now sadly :( (in the end its just a different variation of the same dilemma/issue Im having about driving lessons and my ever looming test atm!)

at least it frees up a slot for someone else!

2 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

so I think thats me out of the game for now sadly :( (in the end its just a different variation of the same dilma/issue Im having about driving lessons and my ever looming test atm!)

I guess driving instructors need to work to earn a living so you have to decide if the risk is worth it to you.

While the current limit is 6 at a time, we can just do more days if the demand is there.

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

yeah exactly the problems I had feared etc

so I think thats me out of the game for now sadly :( (in the end its just a different variation of the same dilemma/issue Im having about driving lessons and my ever looming test atm!)

When I'm up there I'll give her a good check over. It's not rained much I don't think so she should be damp etc. I'll open the doors and blow the cobwebs out for you! 

Could bring my new toy and test the electrical circuits, all 3 of them... 

IMG_20200530_205214.thumb.jpg.6602516817f4b4f9657a7a4d6c0b8e4b.jpg

2 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

When I'm up there I'll give her a good check over. It's not rained much I don't think so she should be damp etc. I'll open the doors and blow the cobwebs out for you! 

Could bring my new toy and test the electrical circuits, all 3 of them... 

IMG_20200530_205214.thumb.jpg.6602516817f4b4f9657a7a4d6c0b8e4b.jpg

thats very much appreciated :) see if you can pick up where @Slowsilver left off and get that rear light unit working fully? :) (and get the rest of the indicators working LOL)

I do worry about her sitting on the grass for so long, although I really shouldn't, the Model 70 is known for being very resistant to rust, Both @dollywobbler and @Zelandeth's Model 70's both spent 15+ years in a damp field and they are still structurally sound!

so I really should not worry but I do still get "teh fear" LOL 

it would be good if part of the original plan of getting her onto solid ground and up in the air on axle stands for new tyres could be done as well, but I fear thats asking a bit too much currently! 

as a side note lets not forget Dolly has had her carb cleaned by @Zelandeth a while back, so that should be ready to bolt back on now and hopefully now she will idle and if she idles then you can safely put her into gear and hopefully get her moving under her own power for the first time at the FoD :) 

(although I fear that might be a 2 person job as well etc, so might not be suitable right now, just trying to make sure Dolly is not forgotten about :)

Yes I'm not bloody starting it! 

By hard standing, if I can jack up one side at a time and slide some planks under the wheels I could do that, can bring my jack, and find some bricks/Chris might have a pair of stands . But I couldn't push it round to the front on my own. Infact typing this, if we do make this a plan, where tf are the jacking points? Where do you put the stands? Can't I just push it over with the xsara? 

I could test my electrical skills (I doubt its any more electrically difficult than a 1960's vacuum cleaner) and have a tinker, does it have a battery though? 

22 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Yes I'm not bloody starting it! 

By hard standing, if I can jack up one side at a time and slide some planks under the wheels I could do that, can bring my jack, and find some bricks/Chris might have a pair of stands . But I couldn't push it round to the front on my own. Infact typing this, if we do make this a plan, where tf are the jacking points? Where do you put the stands? Can't I just push it over with the xsara? 

I could test my electrical skills (I doubt its any more electrically difficult than a 1960's vacuum cleaner) and have a tinker, does it have a battery though? 

LOL yeah perhaps "we" should just stick to electrical testing!

see the workshop manual PDF attached it will contain everything* your looking for including a full schematic :)  (which fits entirely on one page LOL)

she does have a battery, was working when I parked up and I did make sure to disconnect it obviously, however its state several months on is unknown!

DHSS Workshop Manual For The Model 70 Three Wheeler(OCR).pdf

36 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

LOL yeah perhaps "we" should just stick to electrical testing!

see the workshop manual PDF attached it will contain everything* your looking for including a full schematic :)  (which fits entirely on one page LOL)

she does have a battery, was working when I parked up and I did make sure to disconnect it obviously, however its state several months on is unknown!

DHSS Workshop Manual For The Model 70 Three Wheeler(OCR).pdf 20.17 MB · 32 downloads

Mmm OK then. Worse case I'll hook it up to the xsara through its battery. 

Maybe then, could be fun! I've got loads of car wiring I ripped out of my puma if new runs just need to be done. And my gas powered soldering iron

16 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

That is simple isn't it. Unless the issue is the clusters falling apart rather than a lack of supply... 

well AFAIK its just bad grounds etc, then again @Slowsilver has touched it so all bets are off! :mrgreen: 

On a more serious note, it was not working at all when she first arrived then SlowSilver kindly gave it a quick clean up when Dolly was delivered and that got the brake light working at about 50% so defo sounds just like dirty connections to me

if it turns out the cluster is knackered then its no big deal, pretty sure iv got spares in the stash and even if I dont they still make replacements!

main thing is can you get all the indicators working and bonus points if you get the horn working too :) 

although I think that more needs some percussive maintenance as the dash lights etc dim slightly when I activate it, indicating it is drawing some current but it just makes a feeble toot, the fact the lights dim indicating high current draw makes me think its not a bad ground issue but i could be wrong!

again dont worry too much if you cant get it going etc Iv got a spare horn in the spares stash as well that can be fitted at some point in time if needed