Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

It was a very nice weekend. Thanks to everyone for lending a hand with all sorts of things and for just coming along and joining in and making it such a pleasant occasion :-)

Great to see the two Maxis together and good to see REV in action again. @Retr0naut's caravan was magnificent. Good to see all the younger folk having such a good time, too.

2 hours ago, Floatylight said:

Now home, FL Junior and I have had a fantastic weekend, great to put faces to names. Sincere thanks to Mr & Mrs 6C for there fantastic hospitality, will definitely be back next time.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Is this the magazine in question, it was in the back of the C15?

I think the way to really get to know a 2CV is to polish one! A red and white one would give two colour experience!

2CV mag broad.jpg

IMG_20190918_174353 broad.jpg

2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

What engine does that have?

Mate back up north had something similar with a single cylinder diesel in it and it used to virtually leave the ground with how much it bounced at idle...starting that involved careful application of a set of jump leads and a large screwdriver while holding the decompression lever down with your chin.

Gutted I couldn't make it along.

IMG_20190922_150810 broad.jpg

4 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Even more irked I couldn't make it now... that's right up the street of stuff I used to enjoy playing around with growing up.  Two pot or three?

I believe two pot and I need somebody to have a fiddle for me and make the decompression lever work.

P1120215.jpg broad.jpg

Oh, yeah... looking closer at the inlet manifold it does certainly look like a two pot.

Sure I could be convinced to stand on my head and swear at it at some point, guessing the biggest issue is just things sticking through lack of use?  Remember John's one usually required the decomp lever to be smacked with a hammer the first few starts of the year...

Just got back about an 2 hours ago or so, thank you to everyone who showed up and made it a good time, and many thanks to @Six-cylinder and @Mrs6C for opening their field for us, and arranging everything and catering to us all! (and for providing a boat for me to sleep in, not often you say that!)

had a very good time! most memorable for me will be everyone round the "bonfire" till 1AMish exchanging stories :) (including the fun game of, as different countries/places got mentioned id mention which Invalid vehicles lived there "so in canada-" "Oh a Tippen Delta lives there!" :mrgreen: )

that was a very fun experience for me as I had never been part of such a scene like that :) 

IMG_0650.thumb.JPG.900e1fabd3987a54a0755316b6ffa0c0.JPG

and of course the rest of the weekend was very fun, running around in the full field in REV was fun, although you really dont want to go above about 10-15Mph or it feels like she will rattle herself apart, Model 70's aint made for off roading across a bumpy field, who would of thunk it! :mrgreen:

IMG_0618.thumb.JPG.cd8a6af48f606b97faab6581aa5913e5.JPG

when @Slowsilver and @quicksilver showed up in the Maxi i saw them park by I think @Retr0naut's maxi for a photoshoot so I quickly swung round in REV and photobombed (or ruined depending on who you ask!) their shoot with my Invacar :mrgreen: (photo bombing 1970's style!)

IMG_0617.thumb.JPG.af1d467e41ee5bc6c2f58a52326d048b.JPG

weather was very nice on saturday :)

IMG_0623.thumb.JPG.8d37d9653777848e58fbed960c84d94e.JPG

@Six-cylinder kindly let me have a go in the daimler and @catsinthewelder kindly supervised my drive :) 

IMG_0626.thumb.JPG.b512854dcc3a8ca7d8a6e7fabe88a31e.JPG

it was actually surprisingly easy/calm to drive for me, I was expecting to be quite nervous driving it as I am currently when driving anything aside from my Invacar, but no the Daimler was very nice and calm to drive :) (can defo see myself owning one in the future!)

IMG_0627.thumb.JPG.90d0066033485f292505ebcd8e1c53ec.JPG

how many shitters does it take to fit an inner tube! plan A was to fit some tubes to REV and dolly so sidewall bulging/cracking was not so much of a problem, however this tyre just fought us (us as in @Slowsilver  and @catsinthewelder with me just providing dead weight when needed LOL) all the way, and when we finally got it fitted up, the tube had sadly got nicked at some point so it would not hold air, so plan B was done on Sunday which was take the less dead tyre from Dolly and put it on REV, then take the very dead tyre from REV and stick it on Dolly, as while it holds air fine, it was very badly bulging and cracked so we feared it could blow out at any time, but thats not a problem on Dolly since she aint moving atm (sadly!) so now REV has a marginally better tyre thats less likely to blow out mid hoon!

IMG_0632.thumb.JPG.3a2b3a32931aefc629bd5c4ca9bdc026.JPG

dash at night shot in REV :) its pretty cool how the clock lights up green! (cc @MorrisItalSLX )

IMG_0638.thumb.JPG.0dd41855a77684466d3c81c68d72cd43.JPG

also surprising how well the little light in the dash works at night!

IMG_0636.thumb.JPG.8baaecf825f055eb102dee6750594641.JPG

the head lamps do work! (on all 3 settings to boot!)

IMG_0641.thumb.JPG.5f37e8870eb33399e1468c88242c7e60.JPG

then the next day, @Mrs6C kindly gave me another lesson of sorts in the ZX, I found out that I have much better throttle control when letting the clutch out from standing still if I take me shoes off, I can just rest my big toe on the throttle pedal and gently ease the revs up as I let the clutch out :) (I didn't grab any pictures as well, I was driving! but have this picture of ZX and Tractor :) ) im happy to have had more experance driving a manual like as @beko1987 says :) (I sadly did not get any pics but @catsinthewelder also let me have a go in his safrane :) )

IMG_0652.thumb.JPG.204c0f43bfd1f4a17ede79b8ad846498.JPG

the swapping of wheels in the Invacar Medical and food shelter

IMG_0655.thumb.JPG.baa6d4b40785518157848b793583e7d2.JPG

arty? shot of a headlamp bulb in Dolly, I noticed an etch still present on it, but could not quite make out all the details, pretty sure I saw "Thorn" which dates it to the second half of the 1970's/early 80's so it may well be the orignial head lamp bulb that Dolly left the factory (its pretty close to EOL going by the amount of blackening on the glass bulb)

IMG_0656.thumb.JPG.4e4ccfd238ec5d62dc3c98ebabbc1f2c.JPG

and heres a good view on how the rollover bar is attached in a Model 70 looks like its clamped in place so they would of put the rear body work over the chassis then dropped the rollover bar through the rear body and bolted it to the chassis, and I imagine you would simply unbolt it and remove it, should you need to remove the rear bodywork

you also get a good view of the brake booster in Dolly, its interesting to note that it gets vacuum from a tap in the manifold, and I wonder do Model 70's that dont have the brake booster fitted (which is most) have this port on the manifold with it just being blocked off, or does Dolly have a custom manifold of sorts with this vacuum tap off added? (I guess ill have to check on REV at some point!)

IMG_0659.thumb.JPG.630dd47ced604dfadc58e7a3dd8c2e7b.JPG

also interesting to note that at least 1 of dollies rear lights, has a base made out of rubber, where as im pretty sure most others I have seen have a metal base of sorts (like the ones on TWC) I cant quite read what the cursive text says sadly as I struggle a lot with Cursive 

IMG_0660.thumb.JPG.b19f5979021b3283c21975b1b0caa1dc.JPG

anyways once more many thanks to all involved

it was a very awesome weekend :) 

Is this the magazine in question, it was in the back of the C15?
I think the way to really get to know a 2CV is to polish one! A red and white one would give two colour experience!
902528254_2CVmagbroad.thumb.jpg.5182bd66a1bb005e997ebe3e917968ff.jpg
1849790787_IMG_20190918_174353broad.thumb.jpg.88ce725ed1cae347797e898173dfd5a6.jpg
Brilliant - Can you put it on one side for him, I'll see when we are next down your way.. He's not much of a polisher sadly...

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, wuvvum said:

It says Rubbolite.

1 minute ago, Saabnut said:

The cursive script is "Rubberlite" the manufacturer who are still in business

ah thanks :) (I thought it said something like that)

looks like they still make them I think, which is good! https://www.truck-lite.eu.com/m88

(without the number plate light section too, which is good, as finding the Britax versions without the number plate white section can be a PITA)

38 minutes ago, Retr0naut said:

Thank you @LightBulbFun for the opportunity of driving Rev.  What a fantastic machine ?

IMG_20190921_194955.jpg

No problem! 

Im always happy to let people have a go in  REV and see what a Model 70 is like :) 

and pretty much everyone who has driven REV so far has come away happy or grinning which makes me very happy :) (im always happy when I can enable someone else to have a good time, especially if it directly involves my hobbies etc! I imagine @catsinthewelder is probably quite worried specifically that Bobby  might want one as he always has multiple goes in REV :mrgreen: )

(I should've closed the door for the picture LOL the fun of sliding doors where you can just leave the doors open with no real consequence on sunny days!)

I think she is 23087 miles now, so she has done 15 miles since I got her, not bad going I think given she aint even on the road yet!

31 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

I am quite happy to have had a drive in Rev, and even happier that I never have to again :-) terrifying!

haha :)

I do look forward to getting her out on flatter ground as I will concede that off roading across a bumpy field is not a Model 70's fortay! (although I think that will only happen once she is road legal)

I think the fun/scary part for most is the fact of course the controls are completely different from a normal car (although that was/is a non issue for me :mrgreen: ) and how because its a 3 wheeler it will sort of bobble/rock side to side somewhat as you go across the bumpy terrain (that and at 10Mph+ it sounds like she sounds like she is about to rattle herself apart thanks to said bumpy terrain and some doors that are in dire need of some new seals/adjustment I think LOL)

the Squeaky "Slow down!" made me laugh (esp as thats exactly how I felt when driving the Mopeds!)

shame the audio broke for the invacar bit! (on that note it was amusing but also slightly worrying how REV's exhaust note and engine behaviour did not change one bit when you covered the exhaust pipe!)

and of course the rest of the video was highly enjoyable :)