Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

I have found I get just as much enjoyment from a low value car as a high value and prices of a SM have risen to above what I would be comfortable paying.

How about a Peugeot 306 Cabriolet?

Funnily enough I've found I get more enjoyment out of my £490 Focus and my £250 Matiz than I would do a car costing many coins. 

4 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

I have found I get just as much enjoyment from a low value car as a high value and prices of a SM have risen to above what I would be comfortable paying.

How about a Peugeot 306 Cabriolet?

Sell the E-type and buy another 150 unsuitable wrecks?

I am surprised any birds can fly can fly around here with the amount of grain on the roads!

The Sovereign S2 is having to return to the garage as the wipers won't work on normal speed. If you fiddle with the switch you can get them to work holding the stalk up towards 2nd speed, so I hope it is just the switch. I have a spare switch as when I bought a replacement hazard switch for it the seller made me buy the complete column with steering wheel and all switches. Just the pain of feeding the wires into place.

IMG_20190830_094802 broad.jpg

I collected the C15 with a fresh MOT today, a bit of work was needed.

Welding

Front spring broken

Front brake discs

Drive shaft boot

and a few bits other bits.

Steering feels lighter and the brakes have a bit more bite, but still crapp as most C15s brakes are.

I took the C15 shopping and have learnt unless you have crates tied in your food is flung around the back of the van so having made that mistake a few times I piled the shopping on the front passenger seat. I am not stupid just a bit slow to let it happen several times before I came up with a plan.

IMG_20190830_112426 broad.jpg

IMG_20190830_120813 broad.jpg

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

Steering feels lighter and the brakes have a bit more bite, but still crapp as most C15s brakes are.

IMG_20190830_112426 broad.jpgIMG_20190830_120813 broad.jpg

To be fair, it's really the RHD C15s that have the poor brake feel, due to the odd way Citroen did the conversion. LHD C15s would be fine.

59 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

I have just opened my Citroen Car Club magazine and found on 8th Sep 2019 there is a CX Spares Swap Meet!

Now this won't help many of us but we have @Tadhg Tiogar and @@wuvvum

Who else do we need to inform?

z Swap meet poster.jpg

I have one in the fleet and live just down the road ?

image.png.aba88d4ec494f0f6960fd1f2fad47df9.png

5 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Hmm.  How much does a non-dented CX door go for these days?

5 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

I have not seen one for sale for a long time. 

There are a few doors up for grabs in mainland Europe, according to various CX parts trading groups on Farcebook. How you get them back to Britain is a matter for you......

I will try to get to this Swap Meet thing, although the cash-only nature of the event means any purchases will be very very limited, as I'm not in the habit of carrying massive stacks of folding.

There's a fella with a S1 Turbo that he's managed to get running, although the body condition is quite poor, and I think it's a fuel tank he'll be looking out for, as his oul tank had rotted out and he had to substitute a plastic one from a 2CV ? for the time being.

Fortunately I have gradually stockpiled various CX S2 bits from as far as Northern Ireland, including a DIRAVI unit, rear exhaust box and a brand new o/s bi-optic headlamp, so I don't think I'll be needing much - maybe a heater blower resistor as mine went "bang" and burnt out a few weeks ago, filling the car with smoke......

A locking fuel cap and a spare set of drive pulleys might be handy, though, including the one that's supposed to drive the air-con compressor.

Can any body look at a car for me in Romford?

This morning I have been watching Hubnuts video of the Fiat Seicento and I remembered how much I liked my friends Seicento Schumacher edition. As one does, I started looking at Seicentos "for sale" but nothing caught my eye until I spotted a Punto Sporting. I liked the basic W reg Punto my friend's son had as a first car and add Sporting 80 bhp 6 speed gearbox and I think I could end up with some completely unfashionable but fun.

To save me travelling to Romford to discover a pile of poo can anybody take a look/drive at it in a garage for me please?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-Punto-1-2-Sporting-16v-6-Speed/323883513532?hash=item4b68f636bc:g:zfEAAOSwENNdU~3e

Heaton Vehicle Sales
150 Squirrels Heath road
Romford
Essex
RM3 0NA
01708 206142

Punto 01 v2.jpg

On 8/30/2019 at 5:09 PM, Six-cylinder said:

I have just opened my Citroen Car Club magazine and found on 8th Sep 2019 there is a CX Spares Swap Meet!

Now this won't help many of us but we have @Tadhg Tiogar and @@wuvvum

Who else do we need to inform?

z Swap meet poster.jpg

I have managed to rearrange my yard duties so that I can go this on the Sunday, although I fully expect much of the stuff on offer to be beyond the amount of spare cash available. I do need a heater/blower resistor after mine went bang.

A spare S2 front grille might be a useful thing to have, and maybe that nut and bolt that fastens the bottom of the front bumper moulding to the wheelarch - mine fell off a while ago.

2 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I have managed to rearrange my yard duties so that I can go this on the Sunday, although I fully expect much of the stuff on offer to be beyond the amount of spare cash available. I do need a heater/blower resistor after mine went bang.

A spare S2 front grille might be a useful thing to have, and maybe that nut and bolt that fastens the bottom of the front bumper moulding to the wheelarch - mine fell off a while ago.

I am now trying to think of a list for the CX from all the times I have said I must get one of those!

When my CX 2400I/E pallas auto had its engine fire it damaged the throttle return spring which is now lengthened with a blob of melted plastic on the end. Andyrew kindly found me one that looks similar but only easily pulls out 7mm when the original stretches 50mm easily.

I have tried for an original but have only found carburettor ones not injection.

So do you have a spring you can sell me or know where I can buy one that is 150 mm closed and easily stretches another 50mm? The coil diameter is approx 15mm.

Tadhd Tiogar talking of grills reminds me my S1 was damage when I closed the bonnet to contain the fire and then opened it again to extinguish the fire.

What else do I need, anybody remember???

IMG_20190902_123259 broad.jpg

2 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

I am now trying to think of a list for the CX from all the times I have said I must get one of those!

When my CX 2400I/E pallas auto had its engine fire it damaged the throttle return spring which is now lengthened with a blob of melted plastic on the end. Andyrew kindly found me one that looks similar but only easily pulls out 7mm when the original stretches 50mm easily.

I have tried for an original but have only found carburettor ones not injection.

So do you have a spring you can sell me or know where I can buy one that is 150 mm closed and easily stretches another 50mm? The coil diameter is approx 15mm.

Tadhd Tiogar talking of grills reminds me my S1 was damage when I closed the bonnet to contain the fire and then opened it again to extinguish the fire.

What else do I need, anybody remember???

IMG_20190902_123259 broad.jpg

Throttle return springs: take your pick?

I'll keep an eye out for a grille for the S1 if you want. There were two different S1 styles, though. Which is yours?