Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

4 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Yes, agreed with the above.  I’d try to accelerate it as much as possible just to annoy him further. 

Trouble is that it is the first date my local transport company can do. I think if I went else where it would cost a lot more and the seller has asked the driver to bring cash rather than paypal or bank transfer and I trust this transport company to do that for me.

6 hours ago, SiC said:

It's a shame that frogeye got relegated into there and surely the RV8 next to it should have been eligible too

Those were later arrivals and the only reason they were that side of the fence was that there was no more room in the main show field - rather more cars turned up than expected. Last year someone managed to sneak a Vauxhall Victor into the main field!

23 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Dibs on driving the MGB if nobody else (owner included!) has called it.  It's over a decade since I last drove one and about time I reminded myself why I really do still want one.

Would love something BMC on fleet (pretty sure *bits* of Invacar don't count), but getting another car would be more than my life is worth just now!  Absolutely definitely until after the Lada goes.

You go for the Mgb, I feel I’m more of a Daimler person ;-)

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

Trouble is that it is the first date my local transport company can do. I think if I went else where it would cost a lot more and the seller has asked the driver to bring cash rather than paypal or bank transfer and I trust this transport company to do that for me.

As the buyer wants cash and has whinged already about the carburettors being worth more than your winning bid, ask your collection driver to open the bonnet before loading it for collection and check they are all there, just in case the seller tries to pull a stunt...

Thinking back to the issues you've been having with the E-Type spitting back through one of the carbs...

It's quite a while since she's been on the road hasn't it.  What are the odds on a sticking valve or carb piston (SUs on this aren't they?) being to blame?  Compression test might help track down the culprit if it's a sticky valve...

A mate of mine has had best part of a dozen over the years and we've learned they are cars which really don't like sitting around.  This exactly the sort of thing they'll do just out of spite!

You'll have to take us out for a spin once she's sorted out though.  They're such special things but I don't think I've ever actually sat in one.  Wonder if I'll be as impressed as I was by the Lancia (which is officially on my lotto win garage wish list now).

Edited by Zelandeth
typo

6 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Thinking back to the issues you've been having with the E-Type spitting back through one of the carbs...

It's quite a while since she's been on the road hasn't it.  What are the odds on a sticking valve or carb piston (SUs on this aren't they?) being to blame?  Compression test might help track down the culprit if it's a sticky valve...

A mate of mine has had best part of a dozen over the years and we've learned they are cars which really don't like sitting around.  This exactly the sort of thing they'll do just out of spite!

You'll have to take us out for a spin once she's sorted out though.  They're such special things but I don't think I've ever actually sat in one.  Wonder if I'll be as impressed as I was by the Lancia (which is officially on my lotto win garage wish list now).

The problem started when we changed the carburettor diaphragms because the rubber had hardened and slit, the front carb was pissing petrol out. I feel the problem is in tuning.

P1220634 broad.jpg

That is a bit on the low side. I get that figure on my Boxster with a 50% bigger Six-cylinder engine and that's with me not afraid to use the revs. 

Maybe Lambda sensor on its way out? Also plugs, coil leads and air filter all work checking. 

Having told me I had to collect late afternoon 29th Aug without ever stating that in the advert he cancelled because my transport company could not do it until the end of next week.

eBay

Let us know when you receive a refund

Hi Christopher,

We're sorry to let you know that juniortisuper cancelled your order.

We want to make sure you receive your refund. Go to your Cancel details page to let us know.

If you haven't paid for this order yet, please let us know on your Cancel details page.

See cancellation details

Cancellation ID:

Seller ID:

juniortisuper

Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.8 116 series 56000 miles spares or repair solid but scruf

Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.8 116 series 56000 miles spares or repair solid but scruf

Item number:

2 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

That doesn't surprise me. He expects to get more for it than the winning bid. Expect to see it relisted 'due to timewaster' or some other excuse, some time soon.

if he plays that game

someone from here could bid it up £LOLs then when said person wins he can just ask the seller "have you sold it to the person who rightfully won it the first time yet?"

and so forth with different members till he gives in and actually honours the sale :)

You can only hope the pool of people interested in a rusty Guilietta is small, and are intelligent enough to question the reason for a re-list i.e. the seller didn't get the price he wanted.  Plenty of weirdos like us live on eBay, so can spot a fraud who's using the old time waster chestnut as an excuse (if he decides to go that route). Unfortunately here you got him first time around.

I can’t wait to see how high I can bid that up. I’m then happy to waste a day of his time whilst my driver lets me down/I get COPD and have to call an amberlance/I get stuck at work/Negotiate payment in rupees/generally mess him around. 

6 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

I can’t wait to see how high I can bid that up. I’m then happy to waste a day of his time whilst my driver lets me down/I get COPD and have to call an amberlance/I get stuck at work/Negotiate payment in rupees/generally mess him around. 

Let us know how it goes. Maybe we can all have a seat at the ringside?

13 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Let us know how it goes. Maybe we can all have a seat at the ringside?

I will keep an eye out for it reappearing.

While I was angry and expect to find I am described as a time waster or something in due course there is no point in worrying about it. 

Fortunately I have lost no money and as I was buying the Alfa for pleasure I wanted the buying experience to be enjoyable as well and that is all spoilt now anyway.