Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

Yesterday was a great car day and I drove:

Citroen GS

Vauxhall Nova

Daimler Sovereign S2

Citroen BX GTi

Today I used my AX for 32 miles and it was great for nipping round Aylesbury. This evening while I did a local journey in the Sovereign yesterday I wanted more so tonight's trip to Earl's Barton Classic show in rush hour traffic was done in the Sovereign. Queuing for road works it showed good oil pressure and steady mid temp gauge then cruising at 70 mph you can forget what a cosmetically challenged car it is because it drives so well.

It is an MOT exempt car and I will have it serviced next week ensuring it is to an MOT standard without paying for the test as well as the service.

(I did not take any photos of it so I stole them from a non forum friend tonight)

67729873_10157149021435991_7756322955000283136_n.jpg

67800484_10157149021550991_3126689097171599360_n.jpg

68328087_10157149021490991_5741070986288037888_n.jpg

68803447_10157149021695991_627002003297402880_n.jpg

33 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

A bit of bad news is the hay has not been cut due to to patchy weather so while the camping paddock, yard and entry strip are open the 10 acres will not be available.

aww I was wondering how that was going

I still look forward to replacing the fuel lines on REV/Dolly and running around with REV (and hopefully Dolly!) in the camping bit :)

assuming the 10th/11th is still happening that is?

(I don't have any fixed schedule or anything so if everyone here decides to move it to another date I dont mind, just mentioning this so I dont accidently hold anyone back or anything)

I'm tempted to pop along for a few hours on Saturday.  Might have to be in the modern S60 though I'm afraid.   Also, I'm not dictating what you drive to the FoD or anything, but it'd be nice to see my old Daimler again!

7 hours ago, RobT said:

I'm tempted to pop along for a few hours on Saturday.  Might have to be in the modern S60 though I'm afraid.   Also, I'm not dictating what you drive to the FoD or anything, but it'd be nice to see my old Daimler again!

Happy to see you what ever you are driving.

Sorry the Daimler is going in for service tomorrow so won't be about at the weekend and our Metro won't even start!

1 hour ago, RobT said:

If I decide to bring my Metro it's not to be used as a parts donor!  I imagine you've checked all sorts, but just wondering if it's a dodgy condensor.  I've got a spare NOS one you can have.

I have had a go with new points and condenser today but I think I may have stretched the clip that holds the points in so have not been able to try it. Ours has a Ducellier distributor.

IMG_20190715_121510 arrow broad.jpg

IMG_20190808_215946 crop.jpg

Do you still have the old points?  I replaced mine a few years back, thinking I'd be good and do some maintenance, but I couldn't get it to start.  Put the old ones back in that are at least 20 years old and it's still fine!

Maybe that can be my job for Saturday.  No guarantees of success though...

Must admit mine was prone to pinking too.  Trial and error with tweaking the timing, plus only using decent super plus unleaded with Castrol additive seems to have created a happy situation.  It does 40mpg+ so the extra expense doesn't matter!

I had been using premium fuel and an octane booster but it still pinked. It felt lively and good to drive, but in the end I just needed to cure the pinking so like you a bit of trial and error a 5 minute job of backing the timing off a fraction. It has never run since and has lost its spark. I had removed the distributor cap and rotor arm while I was marking the dist position and I have replaced them as they did not look great but still no spark.

This is all particularly annoying as I have just had the gas in the spheres redone and have not even driven it yet.

3 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Daimler S2 has now gone for service but this morning one last go so I took it shopping.

At the Earls Barton show on Wednesday some brave bodyshop put a card in it!

IMG_20190809_100218 broad.jpg

IMG_20190809_100256 broad.jpg

give them a call get negotiating, with them thinking you want the Daimler done up

then drop off the Model 70? :mrgreen:

(its like those free oil change gags but in reverse! LOL)