Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Saying goodbye to a fleet member!

Six-cylinder

30 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Yours is a 1983/84, yes? I'm planning to attend the CX Technical Day near Gloucester next weekend (if the mistress agrees to start), so I could ask for you when I'm there. 

RP number is 2130 which I think is Sep 1982 but it is not registered until Oct 1983.

I saved him over £400 by now not having to buy a new NAS drive by showing him how the one he already had works! It just needed setting up and mapping to the pc and it's not only a cloud drive after all! 

It did step up the need for a pc upgrade though because the software to copy files from its cloud portion to the local portion won't work on XP... Plus other not as important stuff like making tax digital soon to not work, ancient versions of Firefox and chrome and the whole thing slowing to the point it had to refresh the whole screen on every click, and explorer outright crashing when I had more than 3 instances of it open... 

To be honest, the throttle cable itself may be OK, but the plastic sleeve around the metal conduit has melted along about 8" of the cable and presumably the inner plastic sleeve also, so the cable is sticking and won't move...

Venhill Engineering might be able to re-sleeve it, of course... thanks for the link, TT! :-)

Lateral thinking - maybe we could heat up the affected area again gently and then when the inner plastic is warm and pliable, try moving the inner cable back and forth until it runs cleanly... but that could risk the cable sticking again in the future, which wouldn't be fun on an automatic if full throttle... not ideal on a CX to switch off an engine and coast to a halt...

6 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

I think the chance of that driving again is pretty much 0%. It does roll now though.

We do have another engine for it and have been promised the other parts that were damaged by someone in the Citroen Car Club... just need to get our friendly Citroen mechanic on to it in due course...

26 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

....... not ideal on a CX to switch off an engine and coast to a halt...

Had enough of coasting to a halt before the gearbox was rebuilt, thanks. Now that mine's back on the road with its new battery as of, er, just now, I'd like to keep it going....

2 hours ago, richardmorris said:

I stand corrected. I assumed it was so rare that parts were impossible.

Very difficult to find indeed, but we have been offered the spares to get ours back up and running, so hopefully it will see the road again. The original engine has a rather worn camshaft anyway, so an engine swap should be an improvement overall.

Well I have managed to get back on Autoshite tonight in spite of also still moving 1TB to a new storage device (any complicated question on this subject to Beko please)

I had a nice run out today in the Cadillac to a local show, just around 80 cars with a good variety including the Concerto next to me that I liked very much.

IMG_20190505_122857 broad.jpg

IMG_20190505_122925 broad.jpg

IMG_20190505_122945 broad.jpg

An MOT is only good for the moment it is done! The XM was MOTed 22nd April and I collected it Thursday 2nd May, Friday night I went to use it and the dip beam would not work.

I had a fiddle with all the relays and they are working again now but which one is the dip beam one?

It seems some component has been mouse chewed, but what is it?

IMG_20190505_161727 mouse chew broad_edited-1.jpg

IMG_20190505_161455 broad.jpg

IMG_20190505_161510 broad.jpg

On 5/4/2019 at 12:03 PM, 500tops said:

Have you tried Rob Moss at Chevronics for a throttle cable?

I have tried Rob and he can't help.

On 5/4/2019 at 12:15 PM, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Alternatively, Venhill Engineering might be able to make a custom one....

I have sent an E mail with photos for them to receive on Tuesday.

My ZX was a twat to bleed when I did the belt and waterpump, took a good 45 minutes of idling and revving to stop it gushing water out of the radiator, went through loads of coolant until it settled. There was a scary monent at about 20 minutes into it when the temp needle shot to max and the red light came on, but then a geyser of air came out 5 minutes after and it settled down. This was with a squash bottle and much insulation tape providing a header tank expansion bottle

Then it conked out because I still had the front wheel cocked up and it was mega low on petrol

My first trip out this evening with the Allegro so I did have Mrs6C follow me for the first 8 miles with a tow rope. All went very well, easy cold start and hot start after filling with Tesco 99 as there is a bit of pinking. Even with 99 I have to be gentle to keep it from pinking so I will get some Octane booster.

The rest was plain sailing and I covered 35 miles.

IMG_20190513_194134 broad.jpg