Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Saying goodbye to a fleet member!

Six-cylinder

At least it wasn't the S123...if it had blotted the copy book so soon after handing the keys over I'd have been absolutely mortified!

Has to be the 123 for me.  They're both nice cars, but the 124 just doesn't have the same presence to my eye.  I like both, but have never felt a real need to own a 124, yet have wanted a 123 since well before I could drive.

Sure a W124 is superior in pretty much every measurable way in the real world though!  Be interesting to have a closer look at them side by side one day.

Likewise was just thinking a comparison of the C15 and Caddy would be interesting as they're very similar types of vehicles but approached quite differently.

1 hour ago, HMC said:

Glad to see mungo @barefoot has found a good home. I was very tempted but guilt over street parking and kids wrecking the interior crept in. How does the engine sound?

We all knew she would be staying within the forum if I could find a way!

The engine (aside from the exhaust which has more leaks than the US Intelligence Agency) sounds fine so long as you're below ~4K rpm.  Above that it's not *bad* really, it just sounds way more harsh/gruff than it really should.  More like you'd expect a Lada engine to sound at four grand than a Merc M.102, which should be lovely and smooth. 

To my ears anyway - someone else may well say it sounds fine or sounds like it's absolutely stuffed!

Doesn't ever seem to have really changed since I started keeping a closer eye on it.

For those of you who volunteer to cut the grass at the FoD you are in for a treat this year, 13 HP, 5 speed gearbox, 36inch cut

I wonder what the top speed is, the only quoted top speed I can find is for a later model at 5.8 mph. I think we need to do a GPS speed run in both directions at the FoD this summer.

IMG_20220122_085335 broad.jpg

IMG_20220122_085759 broad.jpg

IMG_20220122_085727 broad.jpg

IMG_20220122_085716 broad.jpg

IMG_20220122_085813 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - 13 HP, 5 speed gearbox, what this time!

Yesterday I went to a Lancia Gamma Lunch, I failed to take mine. I lack confidence in my Gamma at the moment after the whole valve head broke off incident, also sometimes there seems to be a bad connection that stops the starter turning. Add quite a bit of car shuffling would be needed to get it out of storage. I was considering taking my “new Toy” the Mercedes 230TE but the general opinion was I should use an Italian. The only Italian at home was the 156 V6 Sports Wagon so that is what we used taking care to park it clear of the Gammas.

When I got home I tried to start the Mercedes 200TE after it stalled then would not restart, it just started up and drove out of the way as if nothing had happened.

IMG_20220123_125633 broad.jpg

IMG_20220123_125454 broad.jpg

On 22/01/2022 at 21:47, Six-cylinder said:

For those of you who volunteer to cut the grass at the FoD you are in for a treat this year, 13 HP, 5 speed gearbox, 36inch cut

I wonder what the top speed is, the only quoted top speed I can find is for a later model at 5.8 mph. I think we need to do a GPS speed run in both directions at the FoD this summer.

IMG_20220122_085335 broad.jpg

IMG_20220122_085759 broad.jpg

IMG_20220122_085727 broad.jpg

IMG_20220122_085716 broad.jpg

IMG_20220122_085813 broad.jpg

Hopefully it is more stable at speed than the 7 1/4 gauge locomotive I dropped off the rails doing a GPS speed run yesterday at a flying 12mph. A tree jumped out at me and now my face is a funny shape. 

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes
38 minutes ago, Crackers said:

Hopefully it is more stable at speed than the 7 1/4 gauge locomotive I dropped off the rails doing a GPS speed run yesterday at a flying 12mph. A tree jumped out at me and now my face is a funny shape. 

Does this mean you are not volunteering to max this out for us!

P1150968 broad.jpg

5 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

also sometimes there seems to be a bad connection that stops the starter turning. - thats the old man operating it :P

When I got home I tried to start the Mercedes 200TE after it stalled then would not restart, it just started up and drove out of the way as if nothing had happened. - JELUS OF ITALIANS

how is the merc not starting - german reliability ffs :D

I had the stalling and not restarting on a w124 200te- with it restarting fine once it had been left to be “cold” again.

Embarrasingly this was whilst collecting parts for it at the main dealer, on a Saturday so parts dept open am but not the workshop. Try telling that to the AA who were utterly convinced I’d had a disagreement with the dealer and was trying to sneak my car away