Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

On 12/20/2021 at 10:18 AM, brownnova said:

Oh that was @AnthonyG and me!

Knew something was very wrong! But very glad it’s fixed now, it’s a lovely thing to drive! 

I KNEW it had dodgy brakes!

I’m glad we didn’t drive it into MK or wherever we were planning to go in it now…I think it was a hairnet collection mission? 

Good to hear it’s fixed, and was a relatively simple issue. 

21 hours ago, chaseracer said:

Ooh, POSH.  That's why he's 6cyl, not 4!

Last time we met he told me he was starting a weight loss programme with @beko1987‘s step father, although this may have been a ploy to spy on the young ladies in Lycra.

8 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Thanks  @Datsuncog they have arrived.

Now it is 1982 and I am busy choosing a new company car!

First thing I noticed is Metro City/std/L 1.0 have 45 bhp and the HLE 1.0 has 47bhp! I never knew that.

IMG_20211222_164640 broad.jpg

Wasn't HLE an economy tune with 3+E gears, IE long 4th gear? I don't know what made the additional 2bhp but maybe it had stripes down the side or a spoiler.

I think A+ came in a low compression spec too, which could run on 2-star (and probably shit overseas petrol). Or have I got that wrong?

2 minutes ago, grogee said:

Wasn't HLE an economy tune with 3+E gears, IE long 4th gear? I don't know what made the additional 2bhp but maybe it had stripes down the side or a spoiler.

I think A+ came in a low compression spec too, which could run on 2-star (and probably shit overseas petrol). Or have I got that wrong?

Yes the final drive on the HLE is 3.44 instead of 3.647. Also the HLE develops max power at 5,500 rpm while the others are 5,000 rpm. There is no compression ratio figures unfortunately.

2* petrol takes the power down from 45 bhp to 41 bhp.

Just now, High Jetter said:

Something like that, IIRC HLE stood for HighLine Economy, as opposed to the wasteful HighLine. Did the same for Maestro and maybe Montygo too.

A family friend had a Maestro HLE with the LED "econometer". He hated it and likened it to a pair of slippers, and not in a good way. 

Intrigued about the additional 2bhp though. I wonder if it was mechanically the same but more advanced timing and DO NOT USE less than 95 octane...?

Also, MG Turbo - sodium cooled exhaust valves 😎

3 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

You had to go and mention the 93 bhp Metro Turbo when we only have a 72 bhp MG.

The red Turbo is my friends cars and the silver non turbo is ours.

P1160199 broad.jpg

While we're nerd-gasming over BLARG shite, the Turbo has different front wing pressings as the bonnet is steeper to fit all the gubbins in.

A nice pair. I think I prefer pre-facelift, just feels more 'honest'.

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Wanted NSF brake Calliper C15 Van 1769cc
1 minute ago, Spurious said:

If you're tight like me, BigRedd have a rebuild kit for £13, pistons, seals, boots, grease etc. 

Usually it's enough to get a caliper working again, unless the nipple or flexi has seized solid in them. 

I am paying a garage to do the job so the extra labour would soak up any savings.

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes
1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

My garage have now ordered a calliper, but I am a bit concerned if it is the right one as Andyrew found two different types.

We will know in a few days.

Bendix or Girling.BCA1742.jpg.0daa0e9ff61f9128fc6a9fedf8f7b29f.jpg

The Bendix will have pentagonal headed screws holding the cylinder to the frame, as above.

The Girling is held together with Allen screws, as below. BCA1054.jpg.0c620b9fd0be70efe7fe8d2484140b31.jpg