Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

Just now, DoctorRetro said:

@Crackers, I see the Jingling was still misbehaving then. It was spitting petrol at @Slowsilveryesterday, we never did discover why. 🤔

Yep. That breather hose that was spitting pez, looked like it came from the top of the head - how or why petrol was getting to that point, I have genuinely no idea. Chinese kwality. 

3 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

The green rr seems to  be back to the electronic distributor. @SlowsilverAnd I spent time yesterday on it. Coil is ok and getting 12v but no spark to the king lead.

I think it started and ran for a bit at one point, then stopped and after that, didn't appear to want to get going again...

2 hours ago, Mrs6C said:

I think it started and ran for a bit at one point, then stopped and after that, didn't appear to want to get going again...

There were a number of problems:

Firstly no spark, which was a combination of failed coil and distributor pick-up wired the wrong way round. Once corrected it ran on Easy Start, but didn't want to do this for long obviously.

Next problem was that the fuel pump wasn't running (wiring failure somewhere). @Talbot managed to rig up a temporary electrical supply,  and once a few gallons was put in the tank, we had fuel pressure at the rail.

Injectors were still not firing though, suggesting that either the ECU isn't seeing the ignition pulses, or isn't firing them for some reason, or there's a break in the wiring between ECU and injectors. Need an ECU pin out to diagnose further. But progress of sorts!

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

Following the unsuccessful attempt to start my Range Rover at the weekend I have had enough and found a cure for it!

@St.Jude

IMG_20210920_092735 broad.jpg

My ex looks right at home on the drive. You may wish to look at the windscreen seal before heavy rain as I never could stop it leaking into the footwell. It is NOT the sunroof and the drains to the heater box are clear.

13 hours ago, Crackers said:

Yep. That breather hose that was spitting pez, looked like it came from the top of the head - how or why petrol was getting to that point, I have genuinely no idea. Chinese kwality. 

On further investigation it was decided that it wasn't actually neat petrol but mostly water with an infusion of petrol or, more likely, oil. It definitely felt greasy. No idea where the water came from as it is air-cooled. Best guess is the cover over the cylinder head had filled up with rainwater which washed off the oily deposits inside it then got ejected under pressure when the engine started. Quite a large quantity was expelled but eventually it stopped and once the engine was warmed up we had no more trouble with it.

While I remember - 

The brake pedal on the lovely metallic beige BMW at the back of the field. The pedal will go right to the floor and it decides to stop at that point (like you're about to go off a cliff kinda stop). Pedal returns more slowly than it should. 

The fluid is just below minimum, although it looked fairly fresh too. So I would say there's a leak in the system, doubtful it's around the brake master cylinder as it didn't look damp.

As for jump starting it, I found success attaching to the bracket off of the strut tower. I think the battery pack needs to be properly clamped on - as in, it's not enough for the tip of the teeth to be on it, it needs to be well in to the jaw of the clamp - and it'll fire up first time.

15 hours ago, Crackers said:

...and of course the JCB turning diesel into darkness. 

It absolutely would not rev above what you could hear there, and all that happened when I tried to increase engine speed was it just black-smoked more.  You can see at about 0.02 where I came off the accelerator and then back on (and there's an associated "clonk" in the background) the smoke briefly reduces, then comes back again.
I suspect the air filter, or some other part of the intake system, has wooden shoes in it.

A lovely weekend (well, 24hrs by the time I got there) with a very memorable journey up in the W124 Coupe; a car I really do like an awful lot.  Also got to be chauffered home again.. the first time I've been passenger for more than a couple of miles in about 3 years.  Also very nice to be passenger in a car where I can actually relax and not be permanently panicked over the driving.
I now ache in places I didn't know I had.  I suspect that was heaving on the starter for a certain mower more times than I care to remember!

7 minutes ago, Talbot said:

It absolutely would not rev above what you could hear there, and all that happened when I tried to increase engine speed was it just black-smoked more.  You can see at about 0.02 where I came off the accelerator and then back on (and there's an associated "clonk" in the background) the smoke briefly reduces, then comes back again.
I suspect the air filter, or some other part of the intake system, has wooden shoes in it.

A lovely weekend (well, 24hrs by the time I got there) with a very memorable journey up in the W124 Coupe; a car I really do like an awful lot.  Also got to be chauffered home again.. the first time I've been passenger for more than a couple of miles in about 3 years.  Also very nice to be passenger in a car where I can actually relax and not be permanently panicked over the driving.
I now ache in places I didn't know I had.  I suspect that was heaving on the starter for a certain mower more times than I care to remember!

IMG_20210919_114649 broad.jpg

16 minutes ago, Snake Charmer said:

@Six-cylinderAny other meetings planned this year??

With little chance of picking decent weather planning in advance has put me off publishing more dates for this year. There is no reason that we can't arrange special project meetings at short notice any time as the farm is ours. Have you something in mind?

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes
2 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

I’m quite impressed @Six-cylinderManaged to wrestle the keys for the merc from him, he seemed very keen on keeping it.

Saturday I planned to drive my new Merc home but was told by @Talbot his towel was in the car and he still needed it!

IMG_20210918_162612 crop broad.jpg

21 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

Following the unsuccessful attempt to start my Range Rover at the weekend I have had enough and found a cure for it!

@St.Jude

IMG_20210920_092735 broad.jpg

Think you missed a trick there, Chris. Should have had it deivered to the FoD. Tell the Kia guy to park it next to the Toledo and say you'd have a look at it when you've got time!

Blimey this is complicated, all I want to do change the speedo from KPH to MPH. I have contacted Kia and they tell me it is in the navigation menu and sent me a screen shot, trouble is I can't find the screen that they showed me. To make it worse yesterday's chat has vanished.

I made a right idiot of myself in Tesco petrol station squeezing though to get the last right hand filler pump, feeding my credit card in and finding the right flap is the electric charge and the petrol is on the left!

For those who think I have fallen out of a tree and banged my head it is a Kia business demonstrator they have dropped at my house and I can drive for 2 days. I took up the offer because I am interested in all cars and trying a modern hybrid is very interesting to me. 

IMG_20210920_092549 broad.jpg

6 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

As with virtually all cars these days, why build such big cars and then hem the occupants in with so much cladding?

What happened to car interiors that would let you spread your legs? 

My Grandad always favoured the Austin 1800 Land crabs and as a child the back seat seemed vast!

Andyrew is trying to make our Allegro VP a whole car again and would like this to use the lower rear quarter for repairs.

Thing is Nottingham is just a bit too far for me to travel at the moment. Could somebody collect it for me and get it a bit further south for us?

I live near Buckingham but anywhere within an hours drive to meet up would be fine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373503744877?hash=item56f68edb6d:g:ObIAAOSwwhdgU2fk

z rear Quarter for sale.jpg