Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

Two things struck me on the way home. One is I didn't chip in for the fish and chips. I'm sure this can be redressed somehow. The other is I left my spare battery in the Manta. Maybe one can cancel out the other? It's not a great battery, it's only an 063 and may not last more than a week without use. I had trickle charged it for the last couple of days and it's fine if you do that. You can keep it for jobs like that, makes a bit more room in my garage, not that it looks any better. 

The Triumph went well. It's been a long time since it went that far. It does love a good A road punctuated by roundabouts, particularly the roundabouts.

Every time I use it I think the gearbox has got noisier but I think that's just where I've not used it and forgotten how whiny it is. It's been like it since 2008 when I fitted it. I have a spare but I don't know what that's like either and they don't exactly grow on trees so I'd like to keep this one as long as possible (visions of Triumph FWD gearboxes hanging from branches, it would have to be a bloody strong tree, I think they'd be more of a root vegetable). 

The only slight hiccup was at the bottom of the A34 where you join the M3 where it decided it didn't want to select either 1st or 2nd gear. As there was someone behind behind me I panicked a bit and tried pulling away in third which it managed but not happily and with much clutch burning smell. By the time I reached Southampton it was fine again. This makes no sense but anybody familiar with the Triumph FWD gearbox will understand. 

28 minutes ago, MrDuke said:

spacer.png

(Yeah, he might have an extra 17bhp, fishnet Recaros and a fancy bodykit, but he doesn't have wind deflectors, does he?)

Looking at your wind deflectors yesterday, that's the first time I've ever seen them bonded onto the door. I've always had them like they are on my van tucked into window frame. Can be a pain with 1 touch up windows though as sometimes car thinks it's trapped

8 minutes ago, bub2006 said:

Looking at your wind deflectors yesterday, that's the first time I've ever seen them bonded onto the door. I've always had them like they are on my van tucked into window frame. Can be a pain with 1 touch up windows though as sometimes car thinks it's trapped

Yeah, I suspect they were factory spec. There's a few 'JDM' touches that make me think the 3-doors were just shipped over with barely any local market mods. They certainly sold very few here compared to the 5-doors.

I'm home now after a wonderful day clean g vauxhalls! I stuck to the ones with intact floors and the like, and with the help of @Ghostywe played time team and got the cavalier looking very tidy

20210822_102552.thumb.jpg.b03ac876ffac892697c27f3b086334ed.jpg

20210822_102555.thumb.jpg.f3b9ee63d319d307552c2cd180e8fb8b.jpg

Pulled alot of water out the boot though... 

20210822_103703.thumb.jpg.bb795219556fa23d2bd7150be3b088e2.jpg

And we cleaned the rust from the engine bay

20210822_111452.thumb.jpg.9a55081a4f700462262dc5a2b7d857fd.jpg

Noticed at my mums that the drivers window suddenly wasn't working and upon investigation its snapped another wire

20210822_183455.thumb.jpg.2ec54d2dd42d538253f2eb415f6ed9ed.jpg

Stripped and twisted it to get the window up overnight, will fix properly another day. 

The CF also got spinning, after we found the magic of the tilting dash! Sadly no running (unless that happened after I left)