Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

Thats the tool i used when i done it before.  Fiddly but possible. 

If nothing looks a miss under the rocker cover, id probably try a few cheeky taps on the lifter and given the oils going to be contaminated from any left over water i dont feel a engine flush would be much risk on an engine like this one. 

Ok,  I'm beginning to doubt myself on this one.  The knock is playing on my mind.  Here's everything that has been done on this head so far.  Can anyone with experience of this engine spot anything wrong:

1. Head removed, as per pictures.  Cam carrier removed.  Followers collected, but not kept in order.  Similarly the end caps that sit on top of the valves were not kept in order, mainly as they'd all fallen out.  I wasn't concerned about this as the hydraulic adjusters should be able to allow for the very minor variances in the cam followers.
  2. Valves removed and kept in order.  Springs all kept in order.  Collets not kept valve specific.. as they're collets.  Hydraulic adjusters removed and all kept in order.
  3. Head welded and skimmed.  And a nice job done of it.  Head also had a caustic wash and was lovely and clean.
  4. Valves all ground in with fine grinding paste.   Cleaned off with brake cleaner, both the valve and the head.
  5. Valve stems oiled.  Fitted in order with their original springs, seats and top caps and new stem seals.  All valves went in smoothly, no binding.  As much mayo cleaned off the springs and seats as possible, then re-lubricated with fresh oil on assembly.
  6. Hydraulic adjusters all cleaned up, checked for movement (the ball end rotates freely within the body)  Cleaned off, lubricated and fitted back into their original positions.
  7. Head re-fitted (as per picture).  Followers and stem caps fitted with a swipe of grease to hold them in place.
  8. Cam carrier fitted.  This sits up on the lobes of the cam initially.  Even knowing this is a non-interference engine, the pistons were all put mid-bore while the head bolts were fitted and tightened down, thus opening valves at the same time. (force of habit from working on interference engines)
  9. Everything else re-fitted, as per pictures.  Nothing is tight/binds up/causes any concerns.
  10. Once the cambelt was on, the engine was rotated over 2 turns to ensure no issues.  Every cylinder gave resistance to turining over on the compression stroke, so no valves were obviously sticking open.  When cranked over, the engine gives a regular roop-roop-roop-roop noise as the (rather noisy) starter battles with the compression.  No individual cylinder sounds "faster" indicating poorer compression.

So the knocking has slightly taken me by surprise.  Clearly we need to play swapsies with the injectors to see if it's not injecting properly, but I can't quite work out how or why that might make it knock.  The knock is absolutely related to combustion in cylnder 1, as with either the plug lead or the injector disconnected from that cylinder, it stops knocking, runs on 3 cylinders and there's nothing obviosuly wrong (other than running on 3 cylinders, clearly!).  If there was a valve sticking or something similar, I'd expect to hear it knocking and sticking even if there isn't combustion occuring in that cylinder.

With the oil cap removed, it's very visible that there is good oiling to the camshaft, and there's no untoward noises from in the cam area.  It all sounded very smooth in there.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the knock is NOT regular.  it doesn't happen on every combustion cycle, just randomly and unevenly, but it doesn't ever stop. It's most definitely not a deep thumping/thudding or rumbling that you'd associate with bottom end, but it's not quite as light and tinkly as pre-ignition.  It's most definitely coming from the head.

Dafuq?

Our BMW 735i has been out on loan to make a friends house look occupied as she parks her Golf in her garage. I agree the 735 should have been in the garage and the Golf made to sit outside!

This evening I have collected the 735 and after sitting it has started easily with a jump. It is a legal car so tomorrow I will do tyre pressures and start using again. 

IMG_20210420_181939 broad.jpg

Depending on how far it drives me round the bend, you might find me sitting in the middle of the FOD singing the "mango mango mango" song from your avatar over and over.  If that happens, keep sharp implements away from me.

I don't suppose you have, or know of any spare injectors to suit this engine?

The problem with having the windscreen wiper police @dollywobbler on the forum is you have to watch yourself!

While the 735 sat I guess the wiper blades lost the will to wipe windows to the point even I needed to chance them. Passenger side is easy a straight forward 19 inch old style blade that I had it stock. The drivers side is odd, 23 inchs long and quite wide with an aerofoil. I did have a new rubber insert that I managed to fit so all is well.

IMG_20210421_104529 broad.jpg

3 hours ago, Talbot said:

Chris had dropped a message to ask if i had any. I know i came across a bag with 4 in  from the blue 1.8 , when i moved workshops and dont think i would have binned them but i havent found them yet. Its possible i put then in the car itself. Ill keep having a look.

58 minutes ago, Heidel_Kakao said:

Having the 7 series on the drive looks cooler and classier though. I would buy a house if that was on the drive.

It always looks so good in photos, the truth is it was a bit shabby 13 years ago when we got it. Now the paint is completely shot but somehow it still remains desirable. 

P1400272 broad.jpg

200 miles in the 735 today, the stop at Fankley services on the the M42 M5 was for me, not the car.  The only problem is we seemed to have developed some brake judder.

I managed to resist buying any tasty goodies from Greggs the bakers but on the way home they were talking about Greggs on Radio2. Greggs have been testing drone delivery but it turns out to be pie in the sky!:D

IMG_20210422_105645 broad.jpg

On 4/21/2021 at 12:45 PM, Talbot said:

Depending on how far it drives me round the bend, you might find me sitting in the middle of the FOD singing the "mango mango mango" song from your avatar over and over.  If that happens, keep sharp implements away from me.

I have been to see my favourite garage today and told them all my troubles! Well at least my Carlton has a misfire and they say check the distributor cap.

2 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

200 miles in the 735 today, the stop at Fankley services on the the M42 was for me, not the car.  The only problem is we seemed to have developed some brake judder.

I managed to resist buying any tasty goodies from Greggs the bakers but on the way home they were talking about Greggs on Radio2. Greggs have been testing drone delivery but it turns out to be pie in the sky!:D

IMG_20210422_105645 broad.jpg

how lost were you? F[b]r[/b]ankley is on the M5

were you not at hopwood :D

do you love birmingham that much :D

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - FoD Spring Bank Holiday Opening anyone?
4 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

FoD Spring Bank Holiday Opening?

Is there any interest in the FoD opening up, I am free all days so if there is interest any or all days are possible.

Camping/caravan/motorhome/car camping are all fine, the forecast is dry, Daytime temps 13/14°C Night time 5°C.

IMG_20210424_180144 broad.jpg

if some Invacar fixing could be effected I would certainly be interested :)

but I dont know what the status of the hard standing is or what the availability of willing* volunteers and tools is like to help me try and get it closer to road worthiness!

or if anyone even wants to pick me up at MKC! LOL

(I do have my own socket set and spanners here, but its a bit heavy/bulky to take with me on the train sadly!)

(I have a driving lesson on the 3rd but I can still easily reschedule that if needs be)