Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Saying goodbye to a fleet member!

Six-cylinder

As you will know that is both a sad and happy sight to see.  But its in the right hands.

i recall possibly a monza rear end on this and that the front bumper was rare due to no fog lights if IIRC. 

Wheels i think are earlier omega, they came from an E reg carlton saloon that had been updated to look a bit more like the later carltons.  i broke it up for spares with him.

9 hours ago, Andyrew said:

As you will know that is both a sad and happy sight to see.  But its in the right hands.

i recall possibly a monza rear end on this and that the front bumper was rare due to no fog lights if IIRC. 

Wheels i think are earlier omega, they came from an E reg carlton saloon that had been updated to look a bit more like the later carltons.  i broke it up for spares with him.

I will give it a good go to get it back on the road.

What is a Monza rear end?

When I got my company Carlton Club I was disappointed that it did not have front fog lights. My boss choose the Carlton for me because previously I had been allowed to choose my own cars and had a Cavalier CDi. I managed to slide the Cavalier backwards into a ditch contacting an iron fence doing lots of light damage that was going to take weeks to sort out so my boss said he would let me have a new car, but he would choose it. I thought a punishment car was on the way, I had not been disciplined over the incident so thought I would escaped a Nova and be given an basic Astra. The company staff had been sworn to secrecy and when the day came my boss handed me the keys saying "I thought you would be safer in this" with a big grin on his face.

Do you remember when my new Carlton was last in use and why it was taken off the road? MOT expired Oct 2019.

8 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

I will give it a good go to get it back on the road.

What is a Monza rear end?

When I got my company Carlton Club I was disappointed that it did not have front fog lights. My boss choose the Carlton for me because previously I had been allowed to choose my own cars and had a Cavalier CDi. I managed to slide the Cavalier backwards into a ditch contacting an iron fence doing lots of light damage that was going to take weeks to sort out so my boss said he would let me have a new car, but he would choose it. I thought a punishment car was on the way, I had not been disciplined over the incident so thought I would escaped a Nova and be given an basic Astra. The company staff had been sworn to secrecy and when the day came my boss handed me the keys saying "I thought you would be safer in this" with a big grin on his face.

Do you remember when my new Carlton was last in use and why it was taken off the road? MOT expired Oct 2019.

Ah, I also had a cavalier CDi that I put through a fence backwards. I was 19/20 at the time and had opted for the CDi over the SRi for insurance, having stepped up from a mk2 1.8GLi.

Curiously and almost definitely unrelated* the accident occurred shortly after I’d discovered the pneumatic rear shock valves in the boot and perhaps inflated them a bit too robustly as a handling experiment.

Oh how I laughed sat in the fence with three wheels on my wagon deciding whether to call the AA, the police or my dad first...Happy days.

3 hours ago, quicksilver said:

I recognise that. The previous owner was a marshal at the Stony Stratford shows and it could always be found lurking in the corner. Welcome to the Satin Red Vauxhall Owners' Club of Buckingham!

What was the date of the 2019 picture as I guess it was one of its last appearances before it run out of MOT Oct 2019.

I had to move my 2CV today for the first time since October so my friend could get his Nova out.

As some may know when a 2CV stands for more than 3 months the fuel drains back and it takes a lot of cranking to get the fuel dragged back up into the carburettor or maybe never. Today was a good day because just a quick squirt of Easy Start and it was away on its own battery. 

It is very slippery thanks to @Zelandeth, when I took the cover off I could feel how well all the polish Zel had put on it is working and it is looking good. I will get it out in the summer for some fun in the sun.

IMG_20210323_112444 broad.jpg

IMG_20210323_112646 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Probably my last drive in the Nova 1.2i Spin, some may remember I have turned up at a few events in it and have had full use of it for the last few years.

Thing is it was never mine and the owner has sold it. The owner has moved to the South coast and came up to MOT it ready for collection , trouble is it sprung a radiator leak while being MOTed. He left it with the garage to replace the radiator and today Mrs6C took me to collect it. It is now back in storage waiting for its trip to its new home in Glasgow.

I will miss it.

IMG_20210325_101747 broad.jpg

IMG_20210325_102007 broad.jpg

2 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Probably my last drive in the Nova 1.2i Spin, some may remember I have turned up at a few events in and have had full use of it for the last few years.

Thing is it was never mine and the owner has sold it. The owner has moved to the South coast and came up to MOT it ready for collection , trouble is it sprung a radiator leak while being MOTed. He left it with the garage to replace the radiator and today Mrs6C took me to collect it. It is now back in storage waiting for its trip to its new home in Glasgow.

I will miss it.

IMG_20210325_101747 broad.jpg

IMG_20210325_102007 broad.jpg

We could get it back for you.

We just need a tennis ball cut in half...

On 25/03/2021 at 22:34, Zelandeth said:

Don't think I'd ever realised quite how much of a mess they made of the interior in the "facelift" that they gave the poor thing...Imagine having stuck the cat on there wrecked the exhaust note too...

The dashboard does look rather odd, but I suppose the original "cliff face" type was looking dated by the 90s.

When a tortoise comes out of hibernation it thinks of Lettuce, me I think of broken cars!

4 day weekend coming up if anybody fancies meeting me at the FoD for a bit of exploratory work on the Carlton and Toledo?

I am also thinking it is time for the 8HP ripper to come out!

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - When a tortoise comes out of hibernation it thinks of Lettuce, me I think of broken cars!
3 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

4 day weekend coming up if anybody fancies meeting me at the FoD for a bit of exploratory work on the Carlton and Toledo?

I could come down Friday/Saturday if there are still spaces available. More than happy to tootle around cutting the grass again on the 8 BHP speed machine.

4 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

When a tortoise comes out of hibernation it thinks of Lettuce, me I think of broken cars!

How many people are allowed? I'm up for this but wouldn't be alone :)

5 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

I'm very possibly almost certainly free all Monday... And on my own too

I guess its time to see who is coming to see me at the FoD over Easter and when?

I can be available Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

Just tell me when you would like to visit and I will fit in around you? 

At the moment all I have for the long weekend is an apointment off site Friday tea time. 

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - I guess its time to see who is coming to see me at the FoD over Easter and when?
11 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

I guess its time to see who is coming to see me at the FoD over Easter and when?

I can be available Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

Just tell me when you would like to visit and I will fit in around you? 

At the moment all I have for the long weekend is an apointment off site Friday tea time. 

Would like to come up and say hello. Have pmd about the merc.