Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

26 minutes ago, flat4alfa said:

Bonus Datsun 120Y content

In 1976 it would have been quite young.  Did it last?

For a while. It was actually my grandads car he bought new - we don’t know why. But he died six months later, and my grandmother not driving my dad had it to replace the new Renault 4 which had just failed it’s first mot on rust. The Datsun went for its first service in my dad’s care and was told it needed a spare wheel as there wasn’t one, so after much argument because the car was less than a year old and never been looked at apart from the dealer they agreed to supply a wheel free of charge, but dad had to pay for a tyre. 

I did not like the Datsun as a small child - black vinyl seats and shorts were a horrible combination. It was a dark blue four door, but think that this is the only photo.  1977 it was replaced by a green dyane6.

19 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

...black vinyl seats and shorts were a horrible combination...

Yes indeed - and this 10yo remembers the summer of '76 as a particularly hot one!  Fortunately, on August 1st, the Owd Giffer traded the vinyl-clad L-reg Avenger 1500 for the posh brushed nylon of the 1600 Super in the list below...

On 2/27/2021 at 10:02 AM, Six-cylinder said:

Sorry @Andyrew Jonny Smith with his V6 Allegro project has stolen your idea of bolting the front wings on instead of rewelding them (20:28).

20201203_194916.jpg.58ee763a0f8d1a0b01c9bf3b76e8e0b5.thumb.jpg.60428839b6518453c38715cc8048cfbd.jpg

Pity that couldn't be adopted for CX wings.

On 3/3/2021 at 9:01 AM, Six-cylinder said:

Are dehumidifiers worth having, yes is the simple answer.

I have put the dehumidifier in the 200TE, 156 saloon and AX and got 250/300ml of water out of each in 7 hours using our night time electric rate. Last night Mrs6C put it in the C15 van as she had noticed it was damp in there and condensation often formed on the inside of the roof. This morning she had collected 900ml of water overnight!

Thanks @Zelandethfor helping us make this investment decision and choose a machine.

IMG_20210303_083056 broad.jpg

IMG_20210303_082924 broad.jpg

Every car should have a dehumidifier. The moisture extracted can then water the houseplants.

A big thanks to @garycox for selling me the Toledo Radiator and carb for a very reasonable sum. Also a big thanks to @Talbot for transporting them for me while traveling on approved essential business.

Looking at the Lockdown rules it seems from the 29th March upto 6 people can meet outside and I would like to get a posse together at the FoD to assess what is needed for the Toledo and maybe paint rust primer on any bare metal.

Then from the 17 May gatherings of under 30 people outdoors will be legal so we can have our first FoD event.

IMG_20210307_122027 broad.jpg

Yesterday I collected my AX from MOT, unfortunately they failed it for headlight alinement and then fixed it with no charge! I just need to get the wheels balanced now as the garage that put new tyres on it did a shit job.

The MOT was done via my favourite garage and Mark the son is rebuilding a Triumph 2000 Auto estate originally destined to be a banger racer and showed me the exhaust repair he had found. The tin used for the repair had a best before date Aug 1996!

IMG_20210309_143958 broad v2.jpg

2000 Auto estate 02a.jpg

Just now, AnthonyG said:
On 3/7/2021 at 1:25 PM, Six-cylinder said:

Looking at the Lockdown rules it seems from the 29th March upto 6 people can meet outside and I would like to get a posse together at the FoD to assess what is needed for the Toledo and maybe paint rust primer on any bare metal.

Can’t quote properly due to phone - the 6 people are from a maximum of 2 households. 
I’d love a look at that Toledo as much as anyone, but just thought I’d mention it. 

The post May meet for up to 30 people should be fine though.

1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

Can’t quote properly due to phone - the 6 people are from a maximum of 2 households. 

Hope not! This document (at link below) advises it will be six people OR two households; see clause 100 on page 30:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/963491/COVID-19_Response_-_Spring_2021.pdf

Having said that, the legislation for this roadmap isn't obvious yet in the list of Statutory Instruments, unless I have missed it... and of course it's what's in the legislation that counts...

15 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

This document (at link below) advises it will be six people OR two households; see clause 100 on page 30:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/963491/COVID-19_Response_-_Spring_2021.pdf

Having said that, the legislation for this roadmap isn't obvious yet in the list of Statutory Instruments, unless I have missed it...

The Four Tests are reminiscent of Gordon Brown's famous Five Tests for Britain to dump the pound and join the Euro. The stars never aligned and thus the tests were never fulfilled....

1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

I’d love a look at that Toledo as much as anyone, but just thought I’d mention it. 

The post May meet for up to 30 people should be fine though.

That is not how I read it "outdoor gatherings (including in private gardens) of either 6 people (the Rule of 6) or 2 households will also be allowed"

It says or 2 household which I took to mean if the number was greater than 6 it was ok as long as they were only from 2 households.

• 2 weeks later...

1st purchase of 2021, bought Covid free, means I did not view it in advance of it being delivered, but the seller told me it was perfect!

OK the true story is it is a sad bereavement sale from the previous owner’s sister.

170,000 mile no MOT, last MOTed Oct 2018 and done 3000 miles since. Part of the exhaust has fallen off. Hideous lacquer peel, broken front indicators and covered in green slime. Interior is worn with splits and the rear part of the headlining disintegrating. Also lots of mould.

When I agreed to purchase it, it was a non runner and had no V5C. The Brucie Bonus is the V5C has been found and it now starts. It also has some history.

In May 1993 I had a new Carlton 2.0i Club Estate as a company car, just like this one in Satin Red.

I would like to save it and put it back on the road. I am thinking after 29th March, as travel restrictions are eased and up to 6 people can meet outside, maybe a few volunteers might like to help me give it a good clean and assess it and if it looks hopeful, prepare it for its MOT.

IMG_20210320_151522 broad.jpg

IMG_20210320_151321 broad.jpg

IMG_20210320_151251 broad.jpg

IMG_20210320_151612 broad.jpg

IMG_20210320_133649 broad.jpg

IMG_20210320_133829 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - I am reliving 1992!
22 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

1st purchase of 2021, bought Covid free, means I did not view it in advance of it being delivered, but the seller told me it was perfect!

OK the true story is it is a sad bereavement sale from the previous owner’s sister.

170,000 mile no MOT, last MOTed Oct 2018 and done 3000 miles since. Part of the exhaust has fallen off. Hideous lacquer peel, broken front indicators and covered in green slime. Interior is worn with splits and the rear part of the headlining disintegrating. Also lots of mould.

When I agreed to purchase it, it was a non runner and had no V5C. The Brucie Bonus is the V5C has been found and it now starts. It also has some history.

In Oct 1992 I had a new Carlton 2.0i Club Estate as a company car, just like this one in Satin Red.

I would like to save it and put it back on the road. I am thinking after 29th March, as travel restrictions are eased and up to 6 people can meet outside, maybe a few volunteers might like to help me give it a good clean and assess it and if it looks hopeful, prepare it for its MOT.

IMG_20210320_151522 broad.jpg

IMG_20210320_151321 broad.jpg

IMG_20210320_151251 broad.jpg

IMG_20210320_151612 broad.jpg

IMG_20210320_133649 broad.jpg

IMG_20210320_133829 broad.jpg

Oooftt! Thats bloody lovely! My Cavalier was the same colour.

Fab motors.

friend would perv as he has a thing for carltons and old opels

pre prep?

nah make sure its not leaking (fluid or gas) all the lights work and no dash lights and clean the inside - wang it in for mot like that and for minimal outlay you know where you are

if the arches and stuff is rusty just gaffa over them for now :)

spend on it after not before :)

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - I am reliving 1993!