Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

• 2 weeks later...

I have been trying to buy this white 1991 Volvo 340 LE 5 door 1.4 which belongs to a neighbour of a friend of mine. Unfortunately while I knew it was an MOT failure I did not know how bad it was until my friend got me the reg number today. I think I am out with that much welding.

Date tested12 June 2019

FAIL

View test certificate

Mileage66,304 miles

MOT test number5989 1207 5215

Test location

View test location

Repair immediately (major defects):

·         Offside Stop lamp(s) not working (4.3.1 (a) (ii))

·         Driver's door cannot be opened from outside the vehicle (6.2.3 (a))

·         Offside Rear Shock absorbers has a serious fluid leak (5.3.2 (b))

·         Nearside Steering rack has excessive free play detected at the steering wheel (steering rack fitted) (2.3 (a) (i))

·         Nearside Front Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength under bonnet (5.3.6 (a) (i))

·         Offside Rear Seat belt anchorage prescribed area strength or continuity significantly reduced door steep (7.1.1 (a) (i))

·         Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength inner sill (5.3.6 (a) (i))

·         Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength outer sill (5.3.6 (a) (i))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

·         Offside Play in steering rack inner joint(s) ()

·         Nearside Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))

Volvo 340 white 02.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - I am out with that much welding to do!
1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

I have been trying to buy this white 1991 Volvo 340 5 door 1.4 which belongs to a neighbour of a friend of mine. Unfortunately while I knew it was an MOT failure I did not know how bad it was until my friend got me the reg number today. I think I am out with that much welding.

Date tested12 June 2019

FAIL

View test certificate

Mileage66,304 miles

MOT test number5989 1207 5215

Test location

View test location

Repair immediately (major defects):

·         Offside Stop lamp(s) not working (4.3.1 (a) (ii))

·         Driver's door cannot be opened from outside the vehicle (6.2.3 (a))

·         Offside Rear Shock absorbers has a serious fluid leak (5.3.2 (b))

·         Nearside Steering rack has excessive free play detected at the steering wheel (steering rack fitted) (2.3 (a) (i))

·         Nearside Front Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength under bonnet (5.3.6 (a) (i))

·         Offside Rear Seat belt anchorage prescribed area strength or continuity significantly reduced door steep (7.1.1 (a) (i))

·         Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength inner sill (5.3.6 (a) (i))

·         Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength outer sill (5.3.6 (a) (i))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

·         Offside Play in steering rack inner joint(s) ()

·         Nearside Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))

Volvo 340 white 02.jpg

It's a shame, I rather like the shape of those (especially the boot) but they do seem to hide their rot well. I found a far worse one on eBay which was, quite literally,  being driven around with structural carpet.

Black Beauty is 100 thousand miles old!

I did a trip to a local Co-op for few bits of shopping this morning and spotted we were heading towards 100k miles and managed to catch the moment.

I have had the black 156 2 years 3 months now and done 2500 miles.

IMG_20210211_103623 broad.jpg

IMG_20210211_103859 broad.jpg

4 hours ago, HMC said:

I fitted that new wooden steering wheel to it, the leather one it had was falling apart at the seams (literally) 

I remember seeing the state of the original wheel.  There was a spare thermostat housing or something with it too that I left on your kitchen side and only realised when I was half way up the M5...

😫

I think I replaced the thermostat as it ran cool, i also stripped and cleaned the gear selector mechanism as it had partially seized up. I thought that simply won’t do when it’s attached to a busso v6.

I also was the buyer of the breadvan v6 from breadvan (also now @Six-cylinder‘s ) before my wife put her foot down. We are now no longer married.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes
On 2/21/2021 at 11:21 PM, hairnet said:

as someone who has all sorts of nice tat (cough and rusty junk)

if wanted to get a steering wheel leather bound

how much would be looking at?

fank oo

I wanted to fit an original steering wheel to my Vitesse instead of the Mountney wheel that came with the car. The spare one I have had the factory leather cover stitching coming off, I was quoted £250 to have it recovered. I had mine repaired but it is still rather worn and tatty.

IMG_20210223_101121 broad.jpg

12 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

I wanted to fit an original steering wheel to my Vitesse instead of the Mountney wheel that came with the car. The spare one I have had the factory leather cover stitching coming off, I was quoted £250 to have it recovered. I had mine repaired but it is still rather worn and tatty.

I was quoted 230 plus postage for a 1600E wheel. Went with an ebay DIY cover for 25 instead.

9 minutes ago, Vantman said:

Yes I am.

My only slight concern is the 200 kg limit. The trailer is 1000kg so one wheel at a time is 250kg. I guess I could always add an extra bar to strengthen them if needed.

@Vantmancould you collect them for us? Then when lock down is over I will ask for a shipley move.

Just now, Vantman said:

I can collect them on your behalf and store but not until Saturday or Sunday and providing they are no more than 6.5 long as stated in the advert. Shipley etc. are giving quotes, essential service?

Thanks, I will see if they are still available.

When I say shipley I mean Autoshite shipley, like a giant game of pass the parcel! 

12 hours ago, tul66 said:

No, that's the symbol of the device you're bum raped with when you have to buy spares! My 430 4v always felt like a £45k car (in 1994) with a £44.5k drivetrain, the rest was a monumental PoS!☹️

We have had our 425 for 8 years now and it has been pretty good mechanically. We have had to have the rear brake callipers reconditioned and replace the drivers window regulator that we had to buy from Italy. Rust has been the big bugbear, not even structural, windscreen surround, boot floor, rear inner arches and we found the first 3 inches of the front wing was made of filler.

This talk about it makes me want to drive it. It ran out of MOT Nov 2020 with with little use last year so maybe it should be first in line for an MOT this year.

P1080129 broad.jpg

47 minutes ago, hairnet said:

seems to be a german car thing vws do it opels do it - service item?

or did you slam it when noone was looking :D

I have stanced two cars and they both were abject failures, both because of ground clearance issues. The BMW E30 and Audi 80 convertible.

My MX5 has broken 3 road springs and I just changed the 4th just in case.

Many years ago we visited my dad and stayed at the a1 travelodge as always. It happened to be dubfest at the showground so the whole area was a pineapple fest, including the travelodge car park as its the closest to the showground. 

Parking up for the night and I rolled the xm next to a passant which couldn't have been able to drive over a pebble and a nearly equally silly golf. Suspension on low and we got out to funny looks and muttering! 

Came back out later for a fag and tbh they were alright, apparently its not as bad and they all watched citrobatics (some knew how it worked, some were miffed my £600 'shitter' went lower than theirs. 

I do hate being stuck behind them though, if you can't do 45 over speedbumps get out of my way as I can. I overtook someone once in Marlow over speedbumps and he chased me all the way to Henley, and anyone who knows the Marlow to henly road knows it used to be like (probably is) a ploughed field. Was in the first zx at the time and I didn't dip much below 65 the whole way, this chump kept hitting the ploughed bits and I'd loose him, then he'd come back again. He did look angry so I was glad when I lost him...