Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

28 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Toledo SORN update

I got an email to say call DVLA so I did, the lady says she can see where I had SORNed the Toledo and got the successful reply. She says will make sure I get no more letters threatening to fine me.

I never answered the phone when they called me because currently we are getting 3/4 unwelcome calls a day, all sorts of country codes including USA  and Norway. Who called web site says dangerous about some of them. I think the DVLA ones were the "unknown number" that I will not answer.

d9XMwXV.jpg

I got a call on the mobile from a "private number ", no other details at all, not even a number, so I ignored it. When I next spoke to the Police about the stolen trailer, she said that call was from them. Time and date was right. They  call it a private number because the dont want their number going to "the wrong people" !

16 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

It has been noted before and we have used this Forum as a method of communication because even after business hours we tend to do stuff in our own studies and Mrs6C is in the upstairs of the old part of the house and me downstairs in the new part of the house. Sometimes we meet in the kitchen, but not always! 

this is prolly why Claire hasn't "re-layed" the patio brookside style 🤣

2 hours ago, bobdisk said:

I got a call on the mobile from a "private number ", no other details at all, not even a number, so I ignored it. When I next spoke to the Police about the stolen trailer, she said that call was from them. Time and date was right. They  call it a private number because the dont want their number going to "the wrong people" !

But surely everyone knows that the police's phone number is 999?

5 hours ago, wuvvum said:

But surely everyone knows that the police's phone number is 999?

Dont be daft, this was not an emergency, it was a call from the Police's Occurrence Management Unit on a land line, as the caller said later, about my stolen trailer.  Bet you have never heard of that department. 

In no way relevant, but after I reported a dangerous driver trying to hit me off my bicycle a few years ago ( I think @Nyphurhelped find the car details ) the police that called me to follow up was on a mobile number he told me to store in case of further problems.  

It's a Land-Rover, of course it's rusty.  JLR are currently working on a way to make the glass rust.  They've managed to make just about every other material of construction deteriorate in one way or another, so I expect they'll be sucessful.

Side-note.. that is properly bad for a sub-5-year-old car.  Really very poor indeed.

19 minutes ago, Talbot said:

It's a Land-Rover, of course it's rusty.  JLR are currently working on a way to make the glass rust.  They've managed to make just about every other material of construction deteriorate in one way or another, so I expect they'll be sucessful.

Side-note.. that is properly bad for a sub-5-year-old car.  Really very poor indeed.

Rust and broken electrics was why I gave up with the 2004.

a P1120404 broad.jpg

1 hour ago, flat4alfa said:

Thought I'd do a line-up for the Italoshite we've owned party too.  

Might as well write it down at same time to boost the memory cells relearning, while at it!

In sequence, starting 1988 to present day.  Some colours are matching, some are not

1976 FIAT Mirafiori 1300, in that same doom blue.  The first making out with a lady car.  1 year

1978 Alfasud 5m, a pea green sight for sore eyes.  But what a hoot to drive.  1 year.

1982 Alfasud Gold Cloverleaf, in silver.  Had electric windows, occasionally.  5 years.

1988 Alfa 33 1.7 Cloverleaf, in red.  FIAT-era so better build.  A bit.   4 years.

1996 Alfa 155 2.0 Twin Spark, in metallic mid blue.  Written-off by red van man.  8 years.

1982 Lancia Beta Berlina, in silver and LHD, now lives with Mr Bickle. 5 years.

1983 Lancia Beta Berlina, in doom blue, still a show car with cream leather seats. 3 years.

1982 Lancia Trevi auto, silver, last one left in UK, lives on with Gamma fondler.  4 months.

20210126_182211933_iOS.thumb.jpg.a41f7bf8ec015b16013ddd25bd88cfd1.jpg

2001 Alfa 156 2.4 derv saloon, deep red.  Chipped, WLF.  1 year.

1983 Fiat X1/9 1500, red metallic.  For high days and breakdowns.  Owned it twice!  3 years all told.

1984 Alfa 33 Gold Cloverleaf, in silver.  Still got it.  Laid-up on drive for now.

1986 Alfa 33 Green Cloverleaf, in red.  Rot box donor, but what a hoot to punt about before Mot doom. 6 months.

1982 Alfa 6 auto, in metallic doom blue.  A save from oblivion.  Lives on with collector. 3 months.

1984 Alfa 90, in silver.  Saved from oblivion, never got it to run, now lives on with same collector. 3 days.

2002 Alfa 156 Sportwagon 2.4 derv, mid blue metallic, dependable 190k daily workhorse, 12 years and counting.

2004 FIAT Multipla derv, in metallic blue with twin sunny roofs.  5 years happy and roffled-off on this forum.  Regret.  Should've shuck a Busso in it.

20210126_182346374_iOS.thumb.jpg.6eeb3d0d3323055871455abfa1649be7.jpg

TL;DR:  All shite but fun.  

I brought it over here as I did not want to pollute the Miniatures thread with tital tatel about Italian cars.

Fantastic selection of cars @flat4alfa always wanted a 90 and you have got me beaten with Italian cars owned, 16 for me 17 for you.

1995 was my first with the Alfetta 1.6 and the order is as we bought them. Bold type means we still have them.

1976 Alfa Alfetta 1.6 single headlight

1983 Alfa Giulietta 1.8

1981 Lancia 2.0HPE

1972 Fiat 500L

1979 Ferrari 308 GT4

1995 Fiat Cinquecento S

1997 Alfa 164 24v Auto Super

1983 Alfa Giulietta 2.0

1978 Alfa Sud Sprint 1.3

2008 Fiat 500 Sport diesel

1998 Alfa 156 TS 2.0 manual

1987 Maserati 425 BiTurbo

2001 Alfa 156 V6 Sportswagon

1978 Lancia Gamma Berlina

2001 Alfa 156 V6 Saloon

1983 Lancia Trevi 2.0

48 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Do Ivecos count?

I dont know, does @Mrs6C's Model 70  count if someone wanted to do an "Ferrari, Jaguar, AC" photo shoot?

I know I mentioned it before in relation to the E type, but I do still want to see that done, especially learning that well as the E-Type @Six-cylinder has a Ferrari, "yes I got the E-Type the Ferrari and the AC together for a photoshoot" and then capture peoples reactions when they see the actual Photo :mrgreen:

11 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Saab 9000 in a Gucci suit.

It was more than that.  SAAB changed the wheelbase for a start and gave it a beam rear end.  Drove FIAT mad, going off alone on the Type-4 project and adapting what they wanted.   Very little could be interchanged with the other 3 in the end.

The Alfa, with its own front end, does drive like a different car.   But you know this 😉

11 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

DSCN4834 broad v2.jpg

Cor!  I always wanted one of those, test-drove plenty.  That's twenty years ago though and they were scarce even then

Saw the 'wood' wheel and 'leccy seats and thought it must be a Lusso, but rego says Super.  I thought a Super badge would be on the rear?   Either way, it looks fantastic condition and in such a 90s colour scheme too.  WLTM.

Alfa 164s are top of my "bollocks, I wish I'd had one when they were cheap" list. Mate's mum had a lovely black 2.0 for years, really looked after it too. Went round one day and she's got a blue Bini on the drive. "What happened to the Alfa?" I asked. "Oh, we advertised it in the local paper and it went to the first person who rang." 

At £200 with ten months ticket.. OK, this was in 2006,but still.. 

22 hours ago, flat4alfa said:

Cor!  I always wanted one of those, test-drove plenty.  That's twenty years ago though and they were scarce even then

Saw the 'wood' wheel and 'leccy seats and thought it must be a Lusso, but rego says Super.  I thought a Super badge would be on the rear?   Either way, it looks fantastic condition and in such a 90s colour scheme too.  WLTM.

I bought the 164 from a friend who had a new car and nowhere to park the old one so offered it at a price that was irresistible.

I did not have it long because another friend wanted it badly. The reasons I parted with it were the Auto was so unsuited (not broken) to the car it was hateful . Also no leather and  a green car with blue interior look ghastly. 

Now I wish I still had it.

This was rather special @flat4alfa

It is a wet Saturday afternoon 1st July 1998 and the best place for car ads was AutoTrader with a tiny black and white photo. We spotted an immaculate 1981 Lancia HPE for sale in Maidenhead. It was still raining and the seller could have not been more helpful taking us to town to visit two cashpoint machines!

On the way home it had wayward handling and next morning it was difficult to start. When it was dry you could see prep marks in the paint. I sorted the rear suspension alinement with a straight edge and sting and the cars handling was transformed. In spite of the flaws in the paint it still looked smart and a fiddle with timing made it start better if not easily.  

I know this was 1998 but it was a flying machine with only a 2.0 carburettor engine.  

Then it started to rust, I could not believe the bubbles that appeared on the side of the roof in less than a year. Still enjoying the car the fateful day was the 18th March 2000 when a load of timber was blow over in a storm and dented the HPE all down the drivers side, roof and bonnet. When we got it, it was put on classic agreed value insurance and I had asked that it was insured at £600 in line with what I had paid and the company came back and said I should insure it for £2,000. Come the claim £2,000 less excess was paid out with no fuss, the insurance company took it away and that was that.

I loved it and wish I still had it.

Lancia HPE Red Met ULY 442X 01 broad.jpg

Lancia HPE Red Met ULY 442X 03 broad.jpg

Lancia HPE Red Met ULY 442X 04 broad.jpg

Lancia HPE Red Met ULY 442X 02 broad.jpg