Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

17 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

I have seen a battery with a handle before. When I sold batteries from a car parts store the customer asked if the return battery would be ok with a spanner melted to it that had fallen across the terminals. I said yes so he bought a new battery and bought me the old one that had a large spanner melted to the terminals. 

Would like to have seen a pic !! 😁

2 hours ago, bobdisk said:

Would like to have seen a pic !! 😁

It was a long time ago before digital cameras and there was a cost to taking pictures. It is unfortunate that I did not consider taking pictures of my everyday work at the motor parts shop worth the money as now the inside of a early 1980s motor parts store would be interesting . All I have is a not very well framed picture of the outside of the very shop in High Wycombe the battery with a handle incident happened.

Then in 1985 I went to work for a Volvo dealer selling cars, I so wish I had photographed the showroom, used car display, service cars and new vehicle compound every few months, they would be great to look at now. I did photograph all my company cars which at the time my boss thought I was weird.

MDC shop front High Wycombe 01 small.jpg

6 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

as now the inside of a early 1980s motor parts store would be interesting .

Just pop by my work 😆. Some of the old tat still kicking around, infact from the first picture below (estimated around the late 70s) those windows and doors were only replaced about 3 years ago! The door was hanging off and all the windows had dropped down. 

Prime shite outside as standard too.

20201230_193229.thumb.jpg.fa5715cdb5af9d009460f2a9d7f362fe.jpg

Bonus street view of Our shite van (still around as i sold it to the now sadly late vauxhall lover ian, so hopefully it lives on with someone else as he loved that van when i had it and wanted to make it look like new again. Puma was bean canned. 

Screenshot_20210102-160031.thumb.png.b38c67b90f251444ea9d348b6811c6b2.png

16 minutes ago, Andyrew said:

Just pop by my work 😆. Some of the old tat still kicking around, infact from the first picture below (estimated around the late 70s) those windows and doors were only replaced about 3 years ago! The door was hanging off and all the windows had dropped down. 

Prime shite outside as standard too.

20201230_193229.thumb.jpg.fa5715cdb5af9d009460f2a9d7f362fe.jpg

Bonus street view of Our shite van (still around as i sold it to the now sadly late vauxhall lover ian, so hopefully it lives on with someone else as he loved that van when i had it and wanted to make it look like new again. Puma was bean canned. 

Screenshot_20210102-160031.thumb.png.b38c67b90f251444ea9d348b6811c6b2.png

Take some pictures inside even if nobody will want to look at them for 30 years.

38 minutes ago, dozeydustman said:

Seasoned strong cider drinker who knows when to stop. Normally the third pint for me.

Some of my 2018 vintage might need to be drunk in smaller quantities... I had six gallons turn out at 9.8%, six at 9.9% and one very special gallon pressed on Christmas Eve turned out at 10.6%...

I have just bottled 6 gallons of a single variety batch made with Yarlington Mill apples, which was pressed on 01-Jan-20. It turned out at 5%, with a pleasant hint of sweetness and a dry oak finish. I'm rather pleased with it. It would make for a pleasant three pints, I think.

24 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

Some of my 2018 vintage might need to be drunk in smaller quantities... I had six gallons turn out at 9.8%, six at 9.9% and one very special gallon pressed on Christmas Eve turned out at 10.6%...

I have just bottled 6 gallons of a single variety batch made with Yarlington Mill apples, which was pressed on 01-Jan-20. It turned out at 5%, with a pleasant hint of sweetness and a dry oak finish. I'm rather pleased with it. It would make for a pleasant three pints, I think.

Hmm.  Something tells me I might be sleeping in the back of the Iveco at the next FOD meet...

47 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

I’m used to 3 pints of between 8 & 10% cider and waking up fine Claire, I can’t see it being too taxing!

Then again, if I’m thirsty and sunburnt akin to after working on the white Gamma, it may kill me!

DVLA computer broken Again!

Not for the first time I have SORNed a car only to find a week or two later I get a threatening letter to say if I don’t SORN my car I will be fined £1000.

This time it was the Toledo that I SORNed the day I got the new V5C, 19th Dec. Screen said it was Successful and I received an email conformation. Today, dated the 26 December I got a threatening letter to say I needed to SORN my car and on using the on line checker found the Toledo comes up as untaxed since 1987. I have now SORNed it again so we will see what happens.

In a past case with email conformation when they did issue a fine, I was told it was my still my fault because I had not reported that I had not received a SORN letter in the post within 2 weeks. They did cancel the fine, but if DVLA get it wrong getting a letter to say I had not monitored there work is just offensive and I should fine them.

The Toledo case is particularly galling as I often forget to SORN a new car because you can’t do it until you get the new V5C by which time I have filed the paperwork. I would like to be able to apply for SORN at the change of ownership.

IMG_20210104_112150 broad.jpg

20 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

DVLA computer broken Again!

Not for the first time I have SORNed a car only to find a week or two later I get a threatening letter to say if I don’t SORN my car I will be fined £1000.

This time it was the Toledo that I SORNed the day I got the new V5C, 19th Dec. Screen said it was Successful and I received an email conformation. Today, dated the 26 December I got a threatening letter to say I needed to SORN my car and on using the on line checker found the Toledo comes up as untaxed since 1987. I have now SORNed it again so we will see what happens.

In a past case with email conformation when they did issue a fine, I was told it was my still my fault because I had not reported that I had not received a SORN letter in the post within 2 weeks. They did cancel the fine, but if DVLA get it wrong getting a letter to say I had not monitored there work is just offensive and I should fine them.

The Toledo case is particularly galling as I often forget to SORN a new car because you can’t do it until you get the new V5C by which time I have filed the paperwork. I would like to be able to apply for SORN at the change of ownership.

it should be safe to ignore that, but you can call the DVLA up and get them to stop the letters if they continue to bug you

due to the way the whole DVLA computer works, vehicles untaxed since before 1998, physically cannot be SORNed and the official DVLA response to that is it is safe to just leave them untaxed until you are ready to tax it again

(and you can call them up to stop the nasty letters if they continue)

(alternatively if its a vehicle a Null Rate Taxation class you can tax and just SORN right away as @egg did with the Invacar Mk12)

BTW you might want to blank the V5c reference number in the letter too!

29 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

it should be safe to ignore that, but you can call the DVLA up and get them to stop the letters if they continue to bug you

due to the way the whole DVLA computer works, vehicles untaxed since before 1998, physically cannot be SORNed and the official DVLA response to that is it is safe to just leave them untaxed until you are ready to tax it again

(and you can call them up to stop the nasty letters if they continue)

(alternatively if its a vehicle a Null Rate Taxation class you can tax and just SORN right away as @egg did with the Invacar Mk12)

BTW you might want to blank the V5c reference number in the letter too!

Never ignore a DVLA letter the process is automatic and a fine will follow.

I thought change of ownership null and voided the pre 1998 no need for SORN rule?

To turn it to Historic tax I would need to insure it and I am not ready to do that yet.

Good call to loose the doc number.

This happened to me with Bob the Renault 6. I tried twice to SORN it online and got two email confirmations, followed by two threatening letters. I emailed DVLA and they told me the reason was that it had not been taxed since SORN was introduced and therefore could not be SORNed. Since then I had no further letters from them and did not receive any automatic fine, then I sold it (well, gave it away) and did an online change of ownership, at which point it still showed as untaxed. Hopefully, although the letters are obviously automatically generated, they do actually check before issuing any fines. I thought that a change of ownership voided this SORN anomaly, but apparently not. It is very annoying though. Their online system obviously knows when it was last taxed so why the hell can't they just tell you this when you apply for SORN, instead of confirming it by email then ignoring it completely and sending out threats? Bloody DVLA.

15 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

I thought change of ownership null and voided the pre 1998 no need for SORN rule?

To turn it to Historic tax I would need to insure it and I am not ready to do that yet.

Change of owner means new owner must sorn or tax the car. Whatever previous owner did is not transferred to new owner. 

23 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

no the keeper change does not change that

see for example KPL139P, that was untaxed since 1991, all through Zels and Olie's keepership, with no broken knee caps! (only getting taxed when Adam bought her)

it seems to be a bit random if you do or or do not get nasty letters (I dont THINK @Zelandeth or @OliD-E got any with KPL but I know @Slowsilver did with Bob the Renault)

like I said you can contact the DVLA and someone will put the stop to the letters :)  (as @Slowsilver had to do this Bob the Renault) 

keep in mind the DVLA computer system goes back to 1974! and in a lot of regards/places its technically the same system, its just has had a bunch of extra bits glued onto it over time and as such carries with it a whole bunch of legacy stuff as well

which has been very fascinating to research, an amusing one I saw is when Fraser V888'ed  about some info on his Model 70 which was/is on SORN, and along with the info he asked for the V888 said his tax would expire on the 31st of the 12th 2049! LOL, I assume that is when continuous SORN expires, as I assume the system needs an end date because it was not coded to handle something never ending as continuous  SORN did not exist in 1974!

4 minutes ago, bobdisk said:

Change of owner means new owner must sorn or tax the car. Whatever previous owner did is not transferred to new owner. 

this is true for vehicles untaxed or SORN since after 1998, but a vehicle untaxed since before 1998, simply cannot be SORNed due to how the computer system works, so for those cases it is ok to leave the vehicle untaxed

(as they basically fall under the old Pre 1998 and 2014 taxation rules)

(although as @Slowsilver siad they really need to do something about the nasty letters!)

1 minute ago, LightBulbFun said:

no the keeper change does not change that

see for example KPL139P, that was untaxed since 1991, all through Zels and Olie's keepership, with no broken knee caps! (only getting taxed when Adam bought her)

it seems to be a bit random if you do or or do not get nasty letters (I dont THINK @Zelandeth or @OliD-E got any with KPL but I know @Slowsilver did with Bob the Renault)

like I said you can contact the DVLA and someone will put the stop to the letters :)  (as @Slowsilver had to do this Bob the Renault) 

keep in mind the DVLA computer system goes back to 1974! and is still technically the same system, its just has had a bunch of extra bits glued onto it over time and as such carries with it a whole bunch of legacy things

which has been very fascinating to research, an amusing one I saw is when Fraser V888'ed for his Model 70 on SORN, the V888 said his tax would expire on the 31st of the 12th 2049! LOL, I assume that is when continuous SORN expires, as I assume the system needs an end date because it was not coded to handle something never ending as continuous  SORN did not exist in 1974!)

this is true for vehicles untaxed or SORN since after 1998, but a vehicle untaxed since before 1998, simply cannot be SORNed due to how the computer system works, so for those cases it is ok to leave the vehicle untaxed

as they fall under the old Pre 1998 and 2014 taxation rules

(although as @Slowsilver siad they really need to do something about the nasty letters!)

I sorned the Daf, it had not been taxed since 1980s

15 minutes ago, bobdisk said:

I sorned the Daf, it had not been taxed since 1980s

thats curious as I know several people who have tried to SORN pre 1998 vehicles to no availe and even the DVLA themselves said it cant be done

so It would be interesting to see if we can figure out how you managed it! :) 

do you have any more details on when exactly she was untaxed when you got her?

im wondering if she was in the "NOT LICENSED" vehicle taxation class, so would have been showing as not taxed for on road use on the DVLA checker, but would be why you where able to SORN here then as due to how the system works she would have been taxed according to the system so you could make a SORN, sine as far as the system was concerned she would have been taxed for the past 45 years

via some internet sleuthing this is your DAF right? she indeed comes up as SORN

image.thumb.png.bb13ca0b373a353883bcd053ef717b42.png

but most curious has an import/Used on Date of first registration marker and it shows you as the only keeper?

Unless she came to you on a Buff logbook? making you the first V5 keeper?

Yes thats mine! I got a V5 with it, but changed it from PLG to Historic Vehicle when I got it in late 2018, hence date of latest logbook, June 2019. They took their time, as usual.  Is that the reason I easily got sorn on line? 

"but most curious has an import/Used on Date of first registration marker and it shows you as the only keeper?"   @LightBulbFun Where is this extra info?

I had the same as Six Cylinder and LBF explained with the VP1300 last year in 2019.  Off road since the mid 90s, I 'sorned' then recieved the threatening letter.  Phoned and they said it couldn't be sorned, and I didn't hear anything more.  Sold to a friend and lo and behold, the same happened to them.  Again a phone call stopped any further action.  Presumably whoever's on the other end of the phone can put a marker against it to stop the letter/fine process continuing, but it's a bit rubbish that they can't sort the system out to work correctly.

6 hours ago, bobdisk said:

Yes thats mine! I got a V5 with it, but changed it from PLG to Historic Vehicle when I got it in late 2018, hence date of latest logbook, June 2019. They took their time, as usual.  Is that the reason I easily got sorn on line? 

"but most curious has an import/Used on Date of first registration marker and it shows you as the only keeper?"   @LightBulbFun Where is this extra info?

ah that explains it :) , to change taxation classes you have to tax the vehicle, so when you changed it to Historic Vehicle you must have taxed it and then since its tax was brought up to date obviously you where able to SORN it

(again due to how the system works, you cant change the taxation class of a vehicle without taxing it)

The no previous keepers and Used on Date of first registration marker is showing in my Special tool and on the useful https://www.carbaba.co.uk/  website (stick your reg in and a random milage, hit value my car and it will spit out a bunch of info :) ) 

does the V5c say anything in the special notes section? if it does not say "Used on date of first registration" or something like then its probably just a fluke for some reason

how many previous keepers does it has, do you recall what it said on the old V5? again might be a fluke, where no 3rd party tools have recorded you as a keeper, I have seen this happen a couple times but its rare

(since you got a previous V5 then there where obviously at least 1 previous and now 2 total keepers!) 

4 hours ago, bobdisk said:

Last time it was taxed before I got it was October 1980. This V5 only has basic details, the rest blank.

must be a fluke/error with the 3rd party tools then!

when you say this V5 do you mean your current one, or the old V5? (do you still have the old V5?)

on a separate note

being a 1973 vehicle, it will have been on a buff logbook during the first couple of years in its life, so im curious if any of the V5's says "no keepers: since *date* " 

since Keeper counts normally did not transfer over from a vehicles Buff logbook to its V5, the DVLC put "number of keepers since" and then a date usually from when that vehicle was V5'ed, to say that the keeper count only goes back to that date (as such this date can also be handy for figuring out when your vehicle was computerised :) )

but I am still trying to figure out if modern V5's still make that distinction on ex buff logbook vehicles or not or if they dropped it, Iv seen a 2012~ V5 with it but nothing later so far

8 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

but I am still trying to figure out if modern V5's still make that distinction on ex buff logbook vehicles or not or if they dropped it, Iv seen a 2012~ V5 with it but nothing later so far

The V5 for the 1966 Morris 1100 I bought last year just says 'Number of former keepers 5' rather than since a date, as do the both the red (issued 2012) and previous blue V5s I have for the 1973 Austin 1100 and 1972 Austin 1800 owned since 2005/06.