Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

Ah, someone has been in here before...

IMG_20200908_130204.thumb.jpg.6a476e9decbfa82660c91ce99ddd2dbb.jpg

The plunger of that solenoid is missing in action (assuming it's not wedged in the carb body - will need to find a mirror to confirm that but I couldn't feel any evidence of it).  The solenoid was also less than finger tight and appears to have been the source of where fuel was seeping out onto the back of the carb.

I do need to tweak the carb settings a bit as having fixed the vacuum leak yesterday has dropped the idle a bit to the point it's now 50/50 if she will stall when you come off the throttle.

Looking at the coolant today before the engine was started shows that it looks like there is a distinct separate concentration of sediment floating around which has settled out overnight.

IMG_20200908_125936.thumb.jpg.94644200e52b9e413088237c5616bb2d.jpg

Will get that changed later and try to get as much flushed out as I can, hopefully befor this lovely new header tank gets any more stained.

Also noted that there is a worrying absence of hose clips on the fuel tank return line...and original fuel hose on the pump feed line. 

IMG_20200908_130519.thumb.jpg.e2dc7e138b5090020709fe94f055ad8a.jpg

The return line isn't a particularly tight fit on the rigid line either... I'll get a hose clamp on there!

I don't have any line in stock the correct size to replace this or I'd do it as a matter of course (especially as it's identical to the vacuum line I found falling to bits yesterday).  Definitely doesn't appear to be a fuel filter fitted either.  That at least I do have the parts in stock to remedy.

2 hours ago, flat4alfa said:

Fair enough, I do still have a boot lid badge 'strip' that I was told was never fitted to UK-issue cars...   My Trevi was carb with the AP automatic box (last one left in UK, no less) and badged as simply '2000'.  This was ten years ago and there was very little knowledge/memory of Trevi specifics in the UK even then

Was this your car? It is a 2000 carb auto and is alive and well living in Stevenage.

The owner has given me a lot of help getting mine back on the road.

Lancia-trevi-3-8900.jpg

When with me

1000799_10151991406532598_1489887704_n.jpg.3557a1c3b45ae6a0c535bf3c48bb90fc.jpg

15271815_10155477595057598_5500192438401078767_o.thumb.jpg.b2260f0bedb5c3303aa072f881317a8a.jpg

Just realised I said ECU above when I was talking about the FUSE BOX.  Sorry.  It's been a long while....

So will correct/reiterate: Many of the issues I remember stemmed from the Fuse Box, take it apart and you'll see how brittle and corroded the circuit 'board' has become

24 minutes ago, flat4alfa said:

Yes.  Same car as seen a repeated Unexceptional Festivals.

So that mean Theo has sold it  ...or moved away from Enfield.   If he also has a Gamma and a Mirafiori Sport, then it is Theo.

Sorry yes Enfield and I went to his house a few weeks ago!

Yes Theo still has the Trevi. He also still has the Gamma Coupe, Mirafiori Sport and a more modern Ypesilon. He was part of the team who came to the FoD to recover parts off the rotten Gamma Berlina with the Gamma club.

IMG_20200801_184410 broad.jpg

22 minutes ago, flat4alfa said:

When with me

1000799_10151991406532598_1489887704_n.jpg.3557a1c3b45ae6a0c535bf3c48bb90fc.jpg

15271815_10155477595057598_5500192438401078767_o.thumb.jpg.b2260f0bedb5c3303aa072f881317a8a.jpg

Just realised I said ECU above when I was talking about the FUSE BOX.  Sorry.  It's been a long while....

So will correct/reiterate: Many of the issues I remember stemmed from the Fuse Box, take it apart and you'll see how brittle and corroded the circuit 'board' has become

Theo gave me two fuse boxes as mind just would not work, of those one was a no hoper and the other is in the car but needed a coupe of patches to get things working.

I really need a new fuse box. 

29 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

the team who came to the FoD to recover parts off the rotten Gamma Berlina with the Gamma club.

IMG_20200801_184410 broad.jpg

I'm pretty sure that WR12MYV Delta III that has been given the Lancia re-badge treatment lives(d) at Cublington

A while back I kept meaning to put a note on the screen asking for when it came on sale.  Not really needed though, as the Lancia world is so small over here, that a quick club forum trawl would have found an easier way to contact the owner!

7 minutes ago, flat4alfa said:

I'm pretty sure that WR12MYV Delta III that has been given the Lancia re-badge treatment lives(d) at Cublington

A while back I kept meaning to put a note on the screen asking for when it came on sale.  Not really needed though, as the Lancia world is so small over here, that a quick club forum trawl would have found an easier way to contact the owner!

That one lives Wiltshire way, but this is the local one you are probably thinking of?

Yes I had two Deltas and a Ypsilon in my field that weekend no wonder I call it the Field of Dreams!

IMG_20200802_142634 broad.jpg

IMG_20200801_114341 broad.jpg

IMG_20200802_143716 broad.jpg

I've moved into stage 4 of my hopefully quick cold, and have gone all bunged up over the last hour. Hopefully tomorrow it'll un-bung again, my sinus's will empty and it'll be job jobbed on Thursday BUT.... I can't make any promises. 

Posting this not out of sympathy (although please feel free) but because I said I'd pick LBF up from the chop choo stand... Might need a plan B there, I'm really sorry

There's probably a bit of covid paranoia in it too... Amy went and did my shopping today because I didn't want to be all sneezy and dribbly in Aldi, I'd get lynched! 

43 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

I've moved into stage 4 of my hopefully quick cold, and have gone all bunged up over the last hour. Hopefully tomorrow it'll un-bung again, my sinus's will empty and it'll be job jobbed on Thursday BUT.... I can't make any promises. 

Posting this not out of sympathy (although please feel free) but because I said I'd pick LBF up from the chop choo stand... Might need a plan B there, I'm really sorry

There's probably a bit of covid paranoia in it too... Amy went and did my shopping today because I didn't want to be all sneezy and dribbly in Aldi, I'd get lynched! 

pretty sure a runny nose is symptoms that you dont have CV19, so I would not worry about too much

but I appreciate the heads up I hope you get well soon!

@Mrs6C would you be able to pick me up from the station if Beko is unable to do so?

13 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Yep, that's precisely where my logic has been going.  I have a sneaking suspicion that the idle mixture screw has been wound way, way, way open to try to compensate, getting it so the car will just about idle.

Would also tie in with the fact that she really struggles until she's fully warm if she's missing half the idle circuit.

I've got a hunch about the running issue.  I note that there's a solenoid on the carb - a solenoid which is currently connected to nothing...and which appears to have an open circuit coil.  If that's something to do with the idle circuit this could be causing all sorts of trouble. 

Can you confirm which model of carb is fitted so I can look up a diagram to confirm what that solenoid is supposed to do? 

16 hours ago, Talbot said:

That's most likely an anti-dieseling solenoid.  It needs power from the ignition circuit to allow the engine to idle properly.  When power is cut to it, it's supposed to shut off the idle mixture jet to prevent run-on.  I've had all manner of experience with these twin-sequential carburettors on various Fiat heaps over the years, and have had to rectify some quite awful bodges.  It's possible that if the anti-dieseling solenoid isn't working, someone has attempted to use other adjustments to allow the engine to idle.  Might well be worth seeing if that can be made to work, as it's rather essential to the operation of the idle mixture system on these.

I seem to remember our old VW Beetle had a solenoid on the carb. When off, it stopped all fuel getting through the carb, so the engined stopped. A safety feature . The Daf has one on its carb, but it is supposed to be something to do with "emission control", but cant figure out how its supposed to work.  Both are Solex carbs.  They were connected to the ignition +12v supply to the coil. Both functions were considered fairly advanced for cars of the 1970s

49 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

pretty sure a runny nose is symptoms that you dont have CV19, so I would not worry about too much

but I appreciate the heads up I hope you get well soon!

@Mrs6C would you be able to pick me up from the station if Beko is unable to do so?

No your right, I've got no other symptoms, it's just the same week of poorly I get every year as summer turns to autumn. It'll happen in march/April next year too. 

Equally I feel like shit too so that may be a consideration, but who knows, I'll keep an eye on myself over the next few days 

7 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54081131

We'll have to make sure we're out of the FOD by midnight on Sunday...

The odd thing is, I've just looked at what the current rules are, and it seems to suggest that the 30 people limit was from two households only and that multiple household gatherings was always 6 people. 

So have we been breaking the rules anyway? 

7 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

The odd thing is, I've just looked at what the current rules are, and it seems to suggest that the 30 people limit was from two households only and that multiple household gatherings was always 6 people. 

So have we been breaking the rules anyway? 

No. There is nothing in the actual legislation about 'two households only'. We are within the law.