Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

2 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

Mrs Dustman is expressing interest in coming along as well if:

A) we’re not camping 
2) she can bring wine
C) there are other Ladies coming who aren’t interested much in cars with whom she can chat and be a bad influence to.
D) potato.

I can quite happily sit and drink wine, and even talk about non-car related subjects! I brought my wife down for the last one - I  thought it might be a gentle introduction, and seeing as we were going that way anyway it wasn't as if I'd asked her to give up a weekend. To my surprise and pleasure she enjoyed it, so may well come again!

There are a couple of pubs nearby, so may be worth enquiring whether they do rooms at a reasonable rate.

12 hours ago, richardmorris said:

I think* that the later cars built in Portugal all had left hand drive gearlevers. They are canted quite a bit over to the left and down compared to the others.

It looks to me like it is twisted a full ninety degrees to the left. Is it possible it is just fitted ninety degrees out? If the arrangement is similar to Bob the Renault 6 I seem to remember it was possible to reassemble the linkage at any one of four positions, each ninety degrees apart.

Just now, Slowsilver said:

It looks to me like it is twisted a full ninety degrees to the left. Is it possible it is just fitted ninety degrees out? If the arrangement is similar to Bob the Renault 6 I seem to remember it was possible to reassemble the linkage at any one of four positions, each ninety degrees apart.

I seem to recall on a 2CV you can pop the bonnet and see the gear linkage in all its glory so I dont think it would be too hard to figure out whats what :) 

13 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

I was wondering regarding Dolly not idling, if someone could bring some gasket paper along to the FoD to make new gaskets for her manifold etc? (or at home if the assembly has already been removed?)

I wonder if it would be worth doing so as I wonder if air getting in after the carburettor could have been causing some of the issues?

Is it possible to still buy these gaskets? Are there any in the spares stash? IIRC there are four separate identical gaskets for each of the four inlet ports and the carb to manifold one is more of a block than a gasket (maybe 2 or 3mm thick). New ones could be made but would be quite fiddly and would take quite a while.

7 minutes ago, Slowsilver said:

Is it possible to still buy these gaskets? Are there any in the spares stash? IIRC there are four separate identical gaskets for each of the four inlet ports and the carb to manifold one is more of a block than a gasket (maybe 2 or 3mm thick). New ones could be made but would be quite fiddly and would take quite a while.

I dont see any listed as being in the spares stash, but there is a new inlet manifold listed, so maybe theres a pile of gasket with it?

failing that it should entirely be possible to get new gaskets from these guys :) 

https://www.haflingertechnik.com/

(the haflinger used the 643cc version of the 493cc engine as found in Model 70's)

15 minutes ago, Heidel_Kakao said:

Will the Astravan be available for sleeping in? I just purchased a bike so no car camping for me this time!

all fun and games until someone jumps in and takes it for a hoon around the field while your still in the back recovering from @Mrs6C cider the night before :mrgreen:

Having watched some tune your CVT scooter youtube videos I deiced to re-tune the Jingling. If I read correctly if you lighten the weights in the variator it has the effect of reducing the centrifugal force on the variable cone so it is slower to move to a higher gear ratio. It seems to me the Jingling sometimes struggles to move away slowly so I ordered 13g weights instead of the 14g ones that were in there.

The delay in telling what I had done was because I had to order new batteries for my post scales to compare new and old.

IMG_20200829_130111 broad.jpg

IMG_20200829_130056 broad.jpg

2 hours ago, Slowsilver said:

180 degrees maybe, but not 90. 

I was wondering @Mrs6C if it would be possible to borrow the plastic fuel tank currently hiding under Dolly's bonnet and fit that to REV during the weekend?

just thinking if I want use REV to get around FoD im probably going to need a slightly bigger temporary fuel supply than a water bottle  :) 

would also be an opportunity to fit the new marine grade fuel hose, and I think we could leave a little bit extra coiled up somewhere along the run to account for any difference in pickup location on REV's future permanent fuel tank?

only thing im not sure of is how to secure it in place so it does not go walkies, but im sure a suitable amount of bailing twine and or duck tape can solve that issue :mrgreen:

(unless of course REV has a new permanent fuel tank solution sorted out by then :) but I dont know if anything will be ready by then or not)

2 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

I was wondering @Mrs6C if it would be possible to borrow the plastic fuel tank currently hiding under Dolly's bonnet and fit that to REV during the weekend?

just thinking if I want use REV to get around FoD im probably going to need a slightly bigger temporary fuel supply than a water bottle  :) 

would also be an opportunity to fit the new marine grade fuel hose, and I think we could leave a little bit extra coiled up somewhere along the run to account for any difference in pickup location on REV's future permanent fuel tank?

only thing im not sure of is how to secure it in place so it does not go walkies, but im sure a suitable amount of bailing twine and or duct tape can solve that issue :mrgreen:

(unless of course REV has a new permanent fuel tank solution sorted out by then :) but I dont know if anything will be ready by then or not)

Sure, not a problem. It's not plumbed in yet and should be easy enough to remove from Dolly and put in REV. It would be a good trial run for it. Dolly can use the bottle for now.

Good idea to put the new fuel hoses in place. Should be able to do both of them.

8 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

Sure, not a problem. It's not plumbed in yet and should be easy enough to remove from Dolly and put in REV. It would be a good trial run for it. Dolly can use the bottle for now.

Good idea to put the new fuel hoses in place. Should be able to do both of them.

awesome sounds like a plan :) 

yeah would be good to get both Dolly and REV done if possible :) as a reminder dont forget the special clips we ordered at the same time (and I think you also got some inline fuel filters too?) hopefully they can be found, as I know they where ordered over a year ago now

20 hours ago, Floatylight said:

Loving how in @dollywobbler'dollywobbler's latest video you can see my and SmollestFl searching for his lost Apple headphones that sell out while he was riding the 125, thanks to @Heidel_Kakao finding it!

Ah, that's what it was! Thought it best not to drive too close...

54 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Shouldn't be too hard to secure a standard fuel can or something in the general proximity of the fuel tank location.  Few bungee cords wrapped around the mud guard immediately springs to mind as one possibility.

the plastic one in dolly sits quite nicely in the cradle attached to the chassis outrigger the original one sat in, since ya mention bungee cords I imagine a few of those just going around the tank and chassis out rigger/cradle might work well :)