Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

On 8/17/2020 at 7:31 PM, beko1987 said:

Come to the fod and stay until whenever. I'll bring what's needed to be self sufficient which will probably be an chair, stove, teabags and food. Probably won't sleep over, but drive back late. 

@AnthonyG you'll be there afternoon on Saturday won't you?

I will be there Saturday afternoon, plan to leave Cheltenham 9ish so hopefully be there about 11. I’m staying over in Buckingham, so will be around for most of Sunday as well.

3 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

I got a text yesterday lunch time to say the Lancia Trevi was ready to collect! It took me by surprise so today I went to collect it.

It looks about the same as when I had it transported to my favourite garage but now it drives and has an MOT.

Works carried out include:

Strip and clean carb, Fit throttle linkage, Welding, Thermostat, Header tank, Washer bottle, replace headlight switch, fit replacement fuse box, fit 4 new tyres, fit rear brake pads and spark plugs. None of this conveys how much time and effort they put into diagnosing stuff and waiting for me to find parts.  The worst problem has been electrics and when I say things like they changed the fuse box that does not tell the story of mine being useless and then me providing another useless one and then a part broken one they had to provide patches for to get everything working.

As I was told it is very lumpy until it is fully warmed up but apart from that drives very well.

I was told to put petrol in it as soon as possible, I forgot my mask so could not use the closest petrol station and had to go six miles for a Tesco pay at the pump. Tense!  

IMG_20200818_135109 broad.jpg

IMG_20200818_135145 broad.jpg

IMG_20200818_135442 broad.jpg

IMG_20200818_135610 broad.jpg

IMG_20200818_142431 broad.jpg

IMG_20200818_142541 broad.jpg

Really good work with the trevi . Credit to you and your classic friendly garage ,looking forward to seeing it some time .

The levee was not dry!

Given confidence driving the Trevi in urban Milton Keynes during the daytime with a steady temp gauge when I needed to return to MK this evening I moved another car so I could get the Trevi out. All was going so well including making a stop in MK. Driving back to Buckingham seemed fine so I though I would call into Tesco garage and as I entered Tesco's road it spat all it's water out all over there forecourt. (the water ran to the back wheel from under the engine because of the forecourt slope)

I called for Mrs6C to bring water as the Tesco one said screen-wash and I was not sure if it contained detergent and I did not have my mask to go and ask in the shop. A young man who turns out to be a classic car restorer stopped to help me and went in the shop and got water. We refilled it and the water level stayed constant and no more water came out so I drove the 3 miles home and the temp gauge was just fine.

IMG_20200818_200126 broad.jpg

40 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

The levee was not dry!

Given confidence driving the Trevi in urban Milton Keynes during the daytime with a steady temp gauge when I needed to return to MK this evening I moved another car so I could get the Trevi out. All was going so well including making a stop in MK. Driving back to Buckingham seemed fine so I though I would call into Tesco garage and as I entered Tesco's road it spat all it's water out all over there forecourt. (the water ran to the back wheel from under the engine because of the forecourt slope)

I called for Mrs6C to bring water as the Tesco one said screen-wash and I was not sure if it contained detergent and I did not have my mask to go and ask in the shop. A young man who turns out to be a classic car restorer stopped to help me and went in the shop and got water. We refilled it and the water level stayed constant and no more water came out so I drove the 3 miles home and the temp gauge was just fine.

IMG_20200818_200126 broad.jpg

Not the ideal colour for coolant.

I am thinking of leasing a band new Golf!

Yes the Trevi broke down again this morning. I had to move cars around and took the Trevi up the road to turn it round and pressing the throttle pedal no longer made it go faster. Eventually with the slope of the road I got it 50m from my house half on the verge. In the pouring rain with a couple cars parked for protection I set about finding the problem. The cable was fine to the first bit of linkage and then it disappeared under the air filter so I took the air filter off. I found a bit of linkage that screws into another part had dropped off easy to fix but not when you have driven up the verge with front wing in the brambles during heavy rain. I did not want to leave it where it was until rain stopped and I found gardening stuff as it was rather vulnerable stuck out into a 60 mph road.

I managed to screw the rod in enough to move the car back onto my drive but still have to make that permanent and put the air filter back on.

IMG_20200819_110133 broad.jpg

IMG_20200819_101716 broad.jpg

IMG_20200819_105021 rod off broad.jpg

IMG_20200819_105314 broad.jpg

Sorry it's being a pain... definitely sounds absolutely like the sort of nonsense to be expected from a car that's emerging from a long period of neglect and disuse though.

Especially one from Italy...and *definitely* especially one with a Lancia badge.

I see Landis decided to fit a front hinged bonnet just to make engine bay access as awkward as possible.

Remember I'm not a million miles away if you get stuck with something and need an extra pair of hands.

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

Sorry it's being a pain... definitely sounds absolutely like the sort of nonsense to be expected from a car that's emerging from a long period of neglect and disuse though.

Especially one from Italy...and *definitely* especially one with a Lancia badge.

I see Landis decided to fit a front hinged bonnet just to make engine bay access as awkward as possible.

Remember I'm not a million miles away if you get stuck with something and need an extra pair of hands.

Who'd have thought a forty year old Lancia would be a little unreliable in heavy rain!