Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

2 hours ago, Andyrew said:

Chris wanted a fuel pump for the cx, 

I took this seriously , no joking around when it comes to fuel pumps , so the Pressure was on, and I was feeling pretty pumped up about it. 

Once I had got in my flow I began my search and after filtering out the rubbish I found a new one. It seems the terminals on the pumps are all bolt on now and bosch provided new crimps but that's replacement parts for You, there's always negatives and positives about these things. 

20200304_123210.thumb.jpg.a7e4580cb32ffa9f1162503e05adf82b.jpg

Ffs worse than @cms206 :D

3 hours ago, Andyrew said:

Little milestone achieved by one of your fleet today. 

It had done 125,000 miles when we bought it in 2008. It was always an extra car but I see from the MOTs we peaked at 7694 miles in a year 2008/2009.

Highlights include

Running it flat out on a German Motorway.

Driving it round the Nurgburgring as fast as I dared.

Driving it continuously for 7 hours 15 mins to get to Edinburgh in one go.

When Mrs6C took on the Visa Cabriolet in Edinburgh I needed to tax it so aldo135 could drive it, but it had disabled tax from the last owner so I could not tax it or change the tax class on-line. I waited for the new V5C to arrive in Mrs6C name ( just 5 days) and took it to the post office and explained the car was no longer entitled to disabled tax so I paid the fee and they taxed it. They said they needed to keep that V5C to send to DVLA so the tax class could be updated and a new V5C would be sent to Mrs6C.

In today's post Mrs6C got a letter from DVLA saying they did not know why the V5C had been sent to them so returned it to her complete with Disabled tax class!

Did the Post office not tick the correct box or the DVLA not process it correctly?  

IMG_20200320_155134 blanked.jpg

19 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

When Mrs6C took on the Visa Cabriolet in Edinburgh I needed to tax it so aldo135 could drive it, but it had disabled tax from the last owner so I could not tax it or change the tax class on-line. I waited for the new V5C to arrive in Mrs6C name ( just 5 days) and took it to the post office and explained the car was no longer entitled to disabled tax so I paid the fee and they taxed it. They said they needed to keep that V5C to send to DVLA so the tax class could be updated and a new V5C would be sent to Mrs6C.

In today's post Mrs6C got a letter from DVLA saying they did not know why the V5C had been sent to them so returned it to her complete with Disabled tax class!

Did the Post office not tick the correct box or the DVLA not process it correctly?  

interesting! I was actually thinking about this earlier today/yesterday, iv not got any such letter with REV but I am wondering if I will

because I noticed on the V5c under the section to change the vehicle details etc like the VIN number or engine number etc

there is a section to change the taxation class, but it specifically says on the V5 as well that you have to do that at the post office

so I wonder if the post office worker or such is supposed to write something there?

in my case the guy just took the V5 put an ink stamp of some kind on it, told me he would send it to the DVLA and that was that, and I got a receipt for my tax all £0 and 0 pence of it LOL (as I was changing to the historic tax class) I didn't see him write anything on the V5 otherwise

(obviously maybe he wrote something after I left but i have no way of knowing, just a waiting game I guess!)

do you recall if the chap at the post office stamped the V5 or not? that might give us some clues!

8 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

I did not see the lady in the P.O. do anything to it she just kept it.

interesting I wonder if thats why then? (is it the same post office that tried to change the tax class on Dolly from disabled to historic without taxing her first?)

not sure what the stamp says sadly, but it might be something to ask about when you go back to change it again! (especially if you paid a fee to change the tax class!)

do you recall if they stamped V5s of yours in the past when changing the taxation class for example with Dolly?

3 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

interesting I wonder if thats why then? (is it the same post office that tried to change the tax class on Dolly from disabled to historic without taxing her first?)

not sure what the stamp says sadly, but it might be something to ask about when you go back to change it again! (especially if you paid a fee to change the tax class!)

do you recall if they stamped V5s of yours in the past when changing the taxation class for example with Dolly?

I can't remember what they did with the Invacars V5C. 

On 3/20/2020 at 7:24 PM, Six-cylinder said:

Just break Mrs Cylinders leg. Then everyone* is happy.

28 minutes ago, GBJ said:

Just break Mrs Cylinders leg. Then everyone* is happy.

@GBJ Oi! Leave my leg alone! :-)

@LightBulbFun Interestingly, I received a letter from the DVLA yesterday enclosing my V5 for the Visa cabriolet... with the same Disabled tax class on it and a paragraph or two to say they had received the V5 but didn't know why and so were sending it to me as my name was on it!

Methinks the Post Office forgot to do something...

Despite the current V5 still stating the car is Disabled tax class, it has been taxed as a PLG vehicle and I have the receipt to prove it.

I guess I will be writing to the DVLA shortly...

17 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

@GBJ Oi! Leave my leg alone! :-)

@LightBulbFun Interestingly, I received a letter from the DVLA yesterday enclosing my V5 for the Visa cabriolet... with the same Disabled tax class on it and a paragraph or two to say they had received the V5 but didn't know why and so were sending it to me as my name was on it!

Methinks the Post Office forgot to do something...

Despite the current V5 still stating the car is Disabled tax class, it has been taxed as a PLG vehicle and I have the receipt to prove it.

I guess I will be writing to the DVLA shortly...

yeah it was discussed above :) 

we think that the post office forgot to stamp the V5, as between @egg doing his Invacar XWC and me doing REV we both saw the post office clerk stamp the "old" V5 with some sort of ink stamp

but @Six-cylinder did not see such a thing happen with the Visa V5 

its quite cheeky tho if you had to pay for it to be taxed as PLG! when you go to tax it online, what does it say? I know when your taxing a vehicle online it tells you what tax class its in

but i'm not sure what happens if try when the vehicle is already taxed (id check with REV but I forgot to note down the 11 digit V5 number before I sent it off sadly which is doubly annoying as now I cant keep track of when her tax class changes over LOL)

it is showing as taxed on the system, I wonder what would happen if you go to the post office and asked them to do it again would they ask you to pay again?!

you are showing up as the 8th keeper now if that's any consolation :) 

image.thumb.png.46fb7abc882138012687bbcc3a47986d.png

I think somebody on here made a mistake!

They sold me this fantastic car at shiters price!

Not only is it useful for getting around in, but it is fun and I went topless today!

@HMC

(unfortunately I have cover a fair few essential miles at the moment)

Update 25-3-20, 1000 trouble free miles achieved today. That may not seem a lot in 4 months, but I spread my mileage across a number of cars so none of them do a big mileage.

IMG_20200323_164853 broad.jpg

IMG_20200325_141505.jpg

On 3/4/2020 at 1:43 PM, Six-cylinder said:

I am going to strain this, how about a filter, Mann WK 613

Ebay has one at £12.62 and somebody else is offering a Mann Hummel for £8.56. Is Hummel an after market brand the seller is trying to pass off as a Mann?

Mann & Hummel make dustbin-sized centrifugal filters for ship engines (amongst other things), I've got one to look after at the moment.

I used the CLK again today and decided to come home with the roof down, but it would not work, switch lights up, windows went down, manual catch released fine.

Half way home I had a light bulb moment! I put some stuff in the boot last night and moved the hood/luggage separator that stops the hood crushing the boot content so all I had to do in a lay-by on the way home was clip the separator back into place and all was fine.

light-bulb-moment.jpg

IMG_20200324_182742 broad.jpg

Another essential trip within the guidelines, the thing is I can't find anything that restricts which of my cars on the drive I use so today I decided that it was time for the DS to get its exercise! The A41 was empty and today it was a pleasure to drive to Oxford.

I would have used the DS yesterday but the n-s rear indicator had stopped working. I replaced the bulb and all was fine, investigation shows the bulb is ok so I guess just a dirty connection. The bulb that was in there was unusual, Norma 12V 15W N4 with a smaller than usual glass bulb, what have I got @LightBulbFun

IMG_20200329_092624 broad.jpg

IMG_20200329_132219 broad.jpg

19 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Another essential trip within the guidelines, the thing is I can't find anything that restricts which of my cars on the drive I use so today I decided that it was time for the DS to get its exercise! The A41 was empty and today it was a pleasure to drive to Oxford.

I would have used the DS yesterday but the n-s rear indicator had stopped working. I replaced the bulb and all was fine, investigation shows the bulb is ok so I guess just a dirty connection. The bulb that was in there was unusual, Norma 12V 15W N4 with a smaller than usual glass bulb, what have I got @LightBulbFun

IMG_20200329_092624 broad.jpg

IMG_20200329_132219 broad.jpg

ohh very interesting!

15W is unusual most car indicators use 21W bulbs! but the DS is about as french as it gets so i should not be surprised by its unusualness! LOL

also very interesting to see the molded patterned glass bulb, the date code is unusual, Philips used an alphanumeric code with the letter being the month, (skipping the letter I and the number being the year) but that takes us only to M, so im not sure what N4 is exactly! other then the 4 perhaps indicating 1964? but thats much older then the car! (the DS is from 1971 right?)

(started as A4 January 1964, then the letter and number where swapped so for Jan 1970 0A and then swapped back for the 1980s so forth to the current day)

(although the moulded patterned  glass bulb would make me think its older than the 1970's, however my knowledge on automotive lamps is not as good as it is on larger bulbs so it may be that this technique was carried on for longer)

I do have a bit of info on the company courtesy of the author of this excellent website http://www.lamptech.co.uk/index.html

Yvel lamps seem to be quite rare. The company was founded in 1921 by Léo Lévy (whose name was inverted to create the company name), together with Alfred Monnier who went on to be one of the leaders of the French lamp industry. They only made automotive lamps.

In 1924 they introduced the Norma brand name for their new lamps having pre-focussed caps. Norma was a popular name in French car lamps until the 2000s.

In 1932 Yvel was taken over by the French national Compagnie des Lampes as that company’s first entry into the automotive lighting sector, and was then absorbed into French Philips. I believe the Yvel name may have stopped in the early 1930s. Their factory was at 11b Rue Torricelli in Paris, and it ran until 1943 when it shifted to CdL’s larger premises at Issy-les-Molineaux, then to Versailles, and finally to Chartres. It is still in production today, having been run by Philips for many years but now owned by Lumileds of USA.

21 minutes ago, DSdriver said:

for those that are unaware, DS rear indicators are not like normal cars. High level is good but other drivers have been known not to notice them which makes turning right somewhat hazardous if they just think you are stopping and try and overtake.

indeed I had thought maybe thats why the odd wattage, but I know of other cars with separately mounted indicators and they use normal 21W bulbs

D2f46leX4AIFXrn.jpg

(no im not apologizing! :mrgreen:

and @Six-cylinder said his new bulb was larger (I assume a regular style indicator bulb?) but it still fitted by the sound of things? so its not like the odd bulb was used because of space constraints?

it would be interesting to see the bulb list for a DS :) 

as a side note I always found it interesting that such high level lights where chosen to be indicators rather then stop/brake lights

you would think of all the lights you would want to be seen/noticed the most, it would be your brake lights. so that people know your stopping

(also funnily enough over the past day or so I happen to be slowly re-watching Jay leno's video on his DS)

12 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

it would be interesting to see the bulb list for a DS :) 

I have the original handbook and service books for this car. It looks like it should be 21W, which I have put in now.

I would say high indicators used to be a problem, but now many cars/SUV have high indicators.

z replacement bulb p33 handbook.jpg

You have to consider that the fore-runner of the DS and many other cars of that time had semaphore indicators which were up the top of the B pillar. Because their fore-runner was hand signals i.e. the driver sticking his arm out of the window which was still part of my driving test in the late 1960s.