Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

A little trip out this afternoon with Mrs6C just before the light failed to view the Buckingham Canal Society's new work barge Louise at Cosgrove. Mrs6C had seen it before as she crewed for it when it first set off from Brentford up the grand union canal, pushed my tug boat Woodcock.

We took the 306 Cab as while it has been a low mileage week with me grounded for one of the days due to alcohol it is currently my go to car. I have had it for a week now and done 170 miles and today it turned 111,111 miles but we were not in a safe place to stop so Mrs6C just grabbed a shot while we were driving.

80620236_2709016575821576_8108457290555719680_n broad.jpg

IMG_20200104_154723 broad.jpg

P1340718 broad.jpg

P1340744 broad.jpg

Ooooo a service barge! Is it held to the bank by the Canal River Trust approve rotten blue rope.....ideally 3 ropes knotted together?

I had an altercation with some of CRT rope 2 summers ago, to the extent it stalled the boat!

Its lovely cutting the prop free.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, ianbmw said:

Ooooo a service barge! Is it held to the bank by the Canal River Trust approve rotten blue rope.....ideally 3 ropes knotted together?

I had an altercation with some of CRT rope 2 summers ago, to the extent it stalled the boat!

Its lovely cutting the prop free.

Mrs6C now has a fishing magnetic she recovered with its rope from around the prop of our boat Teal.

22 minutes ago, ianbmw said:

Are they making much progress on the Buckingham canal? I must admit , mums boat hasn't been started for 2 years so I'm building up the bravery to attempt that task!

Yes it has all been about rebuilding the 1st bridge on the arm at Cosgrove so the bund can be removed , the farmer get to his field and the next section come into water.

74240793_2642905879099313_7696563866670465024_n.jpg

Yes it has all been about rebuilding the 1st bridge on the arm at Cosgrove so the bund can be removed , the farmer get to his field and the next section come into water.
74240793_2642905879099313_7696563866670465024_n.thumb.jpg.33c927f6c758e3f09c9598b2a5074eef.jpg
When do they plan to open the taps and fill it? That sounds entertaining

Just now, ianbmw said:

When do they plan to open the taps and fill it? That sounds entertaining

No date yet as there is still some work to do and testing to make sure the next section holds water.  It is all weather dependent. My guess April/May, we will then put teal in the water at Stoke Bruerne and motor on down into the rewatered section of the Buckingham arm.

No date yet as there is still some work to do and testing to make sure the next section holds water.  It is all weather dependent. My guess April/May, we will then put teal in the water at Stoke Bruerne and motor on down into the rewatered section of the Buckingham arm.
This sounds like an outing for Pioneer......follow the smoke of the air cool 2 cylinder diesel!

1 hour ago, Eyersey1234 said:

I didn't know you had a boat as part of the fleet @Mrs6C

Yes, about ten years now.  The theme of plastic transport with a steering wheel  isn't confined to just road vehicles! :-)

@Six-cylinder and I like canals and industrial history so being able to enjoy them from the water from time to time is nice. We like to explore the isolated canals and be able to travel further than a few miles away from base. A trailboat met these needs better than a regular steel narrowboat. She lives on a trailer in a friend's farmyard when not in use, although has featured at the FoD this year too.

There are various posts about Teal's adventures in the 'Other Boatshite' thread, such as this one:
https://autoshite.com/topic/24144-other-boatshite/?do=findComment&comment=1455020

1 hour ago, Mrs6C said:

Yes, about ten years now.  The theme of plastic transport with a steering wheel  isn't confined to just road vehicles! :-)

@Six-cylinder and I like canals and industrial history so being able to enjoy them from the water from time to time is nice. We like to explore the isolated canals and be able to travel further than a few miles away from base. A trailboat met these needs better than a regular steel narrowboat. She lives on a trailer in a friend's farmyard when not in use, although has featured at the FoD this year too.

There are various posts about Teal's adventures in the 'Other Boatshite' thread, such as this one:
https://autoshite.com/topic/24144-other-boatshite/?do=findComment&comment=1455020

History is one of my main interests too. Which canals have you been on? 

31 minutes ago, Eyersey1234 said:

History is one of my main interests too. Which canals have you been on? 

Teal has been to many more than I have, with previous owners, but counting those I have done with her:

England:
Grand Union, including the Aylesbury, Northampton and Buckingham arms; River Nene; Oxford; Kennet & Avon; Somersetshire Coal Canal; most of the navigable extent of the four levels of the Birmingham Canal Navigations (BCN) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_Canal_Navigations) including the 'not really navigable' parts of the Titford Pools, Tat Bank branch and Cape arm that other boats cannot reach :-); Lancaster main line and the isolated Northern Reaches, also a bit of the Ribble Link (Savick Brook basin!); Thames & Severn/Stroudwater Navigation; Ashby main line and isolated Moira Furnace section

Wales:
Monmounthshire & Brecon main line; Neath; Tennant

Scotland:
Forth & Clyde; Union; Falkirk Wheel link

Some I have done by canoe:

England:
Grand Union Brownsover loop in Rugby and Buckingham arm; Bridgwater & Taunton; Grand Western;

Wales:
Monmounthshire & Brecon Crumlin Arm

By other boat:

England:
River Thames; Grand Union; River Brent; Bridgwater & Taunton including Bridgwater docks; Grand Western; Bristol docks

Wales:
Llangollen

There are probably a few others I have forgotten and of course there are many more that haven't yet been done...

The BCN was amazing. Teal's trip is described here:
https://autoshite.com/topic/24144-other-boatshite/?do=findComment&comment=1642363