Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

Given she seems to be a bit of a pain to start occasionally and definitely smokes a bit (I was following on the way to the BMC day at MK Museum), I do wonder if the carb could do with a bit of attention on the VP.

Do need to try one of those Beemers one day.  Only one I've ever really been impressed by was a 635CSi Alpina a friend had years ago...but let's face it the 635 is a pretty special beastie in any guise...don't recall actually ever been in any of the others bigger than a 5-series.  Friends who had bigger cars when I was growing up were all Merc or Citroen fans (and one slightly eccentric guy who had a Lincoln)...so BMWs weren't something I ever really saw much of.

It is Friday so shopping day, but this morning I had to take a friend to a hospital appointment in Banbury and knew I wanted an Auto for the queuing that was going to be involved so took the XM

Usually I look to park next to the most interesting car I can find in Tesco but today there was none. To my surprise there was a Vectra GSi parked next to me when I returned to the XM and he started it with a lovely purr.

On the way out I spotted this scruffy Saxo 11 Forte, only 17 days MOT left!

Yes I know the XM is at a jaunty angle, I was going to straighten it up but the Audi convertible behind me decided to leave its spot but didn't not know how to use the steering wheel and then another car car up the wrong way to stop it getting out so I left them to it and did my shopping.

IMG_20191206_120509 broad.jpg

IMG_20191206_121729_1 broad.jpg

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

It is Friday so shopping day, but this morning I had to take a friend to a hospital appointment in Banbury and knew I wanted an Auto for the queuing that was going to be involved so took the XM

Usually I look to park next to the most interesting car I can find in Tesco but today there was none. To my surprise there was a Vectra GSi parked next to me when I returned to the XM and he started it with a lovely purr.

On the way out I spotted this scruffy Saxo 11 Forte, only 17 days MOT left!

Yes I know the XM is at a jaunty angle, I was going to straighten it up but the Audi convertible behind me decided to leave its spot but didn't not know how to use the steering wheel and then another car car up the wrong way to stop it getting out so I left them to it and did my shopping.

IMG_20191206_120509 broad.jpg

IMG_20191206_121729_1 broad.jpg

The xm is in this month’s Citroenian! Not sure if it’s before your time though?

38 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

XMs have one of the most beautiful bums/rear lamp arrays of any car in the last 30 years.

If they hadn't stuck false quarterlights in the front doors, I think I would have liked it a bit more. Drive-on part in Ronin did the car no harm. 

No DIRAVI on RHD models, so spoils the game for me.

On 11/30/2019 at 7:31 PM, Six-cylinder said:

Thank you @richardmorris and @Wingz123 for your help achieving our goal of getting the Xantia ready to transport for a new gearbox. 

Bonus, we got the Visa GT ready to transport because I have now booked it for welding that is due to start in a couple of weeks or so.

Both my helpers were not able to stay for what I considered the highlight of the day, the arrival of the Lancia Trevi! Now I understand why they decided to escape while they could, the guy was a bit late and it was freezing by the time it arrived so maybe they did not miss out that much after all!

IMG_20191130_120543 broad.jpg

IMG_20191130_120711_1 broad.jpg

P1340437 broad.jpg

IMG_20191130_141554 broad.jpg

IMG_20191130_120800 crop broad.jpg

IMG_20191130_141418 broad.jpg

P1340447 broad.jpg

P1340440 broad.jpg

P1340456 broad.jpg

IMG_20191130_161535 broad.jpg

Hey Chris Nice to see a lot happening in the field 

3 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

XMs have one of the most beautiful bums/rear lamp arrays of any car in the last 30 years.

I would really like a floaty French, and it might happen next year. How wafty are they?

It’s fine floating along without a care. To be fair, driving this one a couple of months ago did remind me what I didn’t like, and why I didn’t buy a TCT Turbo about ten years ago. It never seems to be in the right gear - changes up quickly and hangs on to the gears too long coming down. It’s also rather large, so not as easy to thread through traffic as my Mercedes.

Today has been mainly about the electrics on the green Range Rover, thanks again to ianbmw.  I now have both headlights working, side lights, brake lights and fog lights. just number plate, o-s repeater and hazards to go.

It looks like I am going to need a o-s front indicator/side light unit.

The hazard switch is dirty inside but there is also a small bit of plastic missing on the contact arm so I think I need to replace it. First investigation has not found one. Anybody got one to sell me or knows what other BL cars had exactly this switch?

IMG_20191207_155402 broad.jpg

IMG_20191207_160247 broad.jpg

IMG_20191207_155541 broad.jpg

IMG_20191207_185048 broad.jpg

IMG_20191207_174422 broad.jpg