Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

On 25 October 2019 at 12:47 PM, Six-cylinder said:

And the Zoe made the 107 look small.

IMG_20191025_110426 broad.jpg

A friend has bought 2 Zoes to use as courtesy cars for his garage business, had a play in one of them yesterday. There is not a lot of space inside , thats for sure. The last time I drove an AX it didn't feel as cramped, admittedly that was 30 years ago and I'm quite a bit bigger now. Anyway 50 mile range is pretty useless and at 1500kg is probably twice the weight of an AX

Hi Chris

For used RR bits to do the LHD conversion I have been using Tim Hammond in Yorkshite Landie Journo and serial RR licker

What he doesn't know about 1980s RR doesn't need to be known plus he has a barn full of parts, I have his number if you want it.

He trades through ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Range-Rover-Classic-Spares-Large-Amount-Of-Parts-In-Stock-Breaking/113889706501?hash=item1a845b0205:g:dD0AAOSwjMBcftB6

1 hour ago, richardthestag said:

Hi Chris

For used RR bits to do the LHD conversion I have been using Tim Hammond in Yorkshite Landie Journo and serial RR licker

What he doesn't know about 1980s RR doesn't need to be known plus he has a barn full of parts, I have his number if you want it.

He trades through ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Range-Rover-Classic-Spares-Large-Amount-Of-Parts-In-Stock-Breaking/113889706501?hash=item1a845b0205:g:dD0AAOSwjMBcftB6

My friend @ianbmw has been very busy lately and progress has been limited to buying a replacement fuel tank as one of the retaining tangs for the fuel gauge sender had rotted away and would not seal. Weekend 9/10 November has been allocated to fitting the fuel tank and trying to get it started so we can see what it needs.

I am going to need a new centre console that fits the old dash but accommodated the ZF Auto that has been fitted . I am told no UK car had this arrangement but some overseas cars did.

Thanks for the lead for getting parts.

Crikey that engine bay looks complete! I think we will give the chassis a good clean up and lick of paint before fitting the new tank.....it seems logical before its hidden by the tank.

First start up video is a Must! I may or may not dance if it does

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

My guess is it will take weeks before we get it started so maybe we could advertise for a video operator, interview, appoint and train somebody for the role! 
It may take weeks for BP to stock pile enough fuel for it to run!

Bet I could coerce that into starting in a couple of hours assuming nothing critical is missing/stuffed beyond bodging...

Being injected makes it a little more difficult as a high pressure feed is needed if you're going to do more than drip feed it (which is bloody awkward on a V8), but I've got a HP pump so it's not impossible something could be cobbled together to run it from a can in the absence of a fuel tank.

Running well is a different matter...but I'd bet I could get it to show signs of life...

This used to be my Sunday afternoon game at a friend's farm.  Dig a set of keys out the filing cabinet, find which long forgotten car out back it belonged to and see if I could get it going.  Weren't many that foiled me... almost invariably due to dead electronic ignition systems or immobilisers I lacked the fob for.

15 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

well that's a challenge for you then, could you get @Mrs6C Model 70 to actually idle? :) (then that means we could drive it!)

Can't be that difficult... challenge accepted if she wants me to take a look at it.  Know my way around these cars reasonably well now.

I'd probably just pull the carb off and bring it back here to be pulled apart and thoroughly cleaned.  That's probably all she will need.

Would do the fuel pump at the same time as it's probably as full of gunk as the carb.

Been looking for a proper test run for the new ultrasonic cleaner...

5 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Can't be that difficult... challenge accepted if she wants me to take a look at it.  Know my way around these cars reasonably well now.

I'd probably just pull the carb off and bring it back here to be pulled apart and thoroughly cleaned.  That's probably all she will need.

Would do the fuel pump at the same time as it's probably as full of gunk as the carb.

Been looking for a proper test run for the new ultrasonic cleaner...

Well volunteered! :-)

The carb. is off already and at home in the garage, waiting to be cleaned... if you'd like to give it a go then please be my guest! :-)

@Andyrew has very kindly taken the manifold home to weld the air cleaner support strut back on as it had succumbed to fatigue and cracked across at the base...

The handbrake return springs have arrived, too. @Six-cylinder bought a pair, so I'll put the one into stock.

your also welcome to do REV's at the same time if you want to :mrgreen:

(and im happy to accompany you for a weekend or something if you want, anything towards getting anyone's Model 70 im game for! I would like to get REVs fuel tank out at some point so we can see what it needs, and have it fixed ahead of when the rest of the work on REV is done, so the fuel tank is not holding everything up, as the fuel tank is the one "big thing" im worried that might take a little bit of time etc to sort out etc)

More than happy to drop by tomorrow to grab the carb and bring it back here for some TLC.  Do you have a carb gasket set among the spares stash?  If not I'll do my best to keep the original in one piece.  Really need to get myself some more gasket paper so I can just make new ones when needed.

3 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

More than happy to drop by tomorrow to grab the carb and bring it back here for some TLC.  Do you have a carb gasket set among the spares stash?  If not I'll do my best to keep the original in one piece.  Really need to get myself some more gasket paper so I can just make new ones when needed.

checking the spares stash list I dont see any gaskets sadly, but might be worth having a root around the boxes still :) 

(as a side note, iv been wondering, whats an "engine bar"?)

image.thumb.png.d7acc3f0910990bb685d1d65c089b212.png

image.png.aa8e40ca08a275754d8bc8a94faad1f3.png

30 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

That would be great, many thanks! Let me know what time would suit you and we'll have the kettle on! :-)

I don't remember seeing any gasket sets with the spares, but it's possible we have some gasket paper. I will enquire of @Six-cylinder!

11 hours ago, ianbmw said:

Crikey that engine bay looks complete! I think we will give the chassis a good clean up and lick of paint before fitting the new tank.....it seems logical before its hidden by the tank.

First start up video is a Must! I may or may not dance if it does

What sort of paint do I need to buy?

I collected our Metro today after having a few bits attended to before it gets put away for the winter. Fuel leak from the gauge sender unit, exhaust blow manifold to down pipe and poor running at idle all now sorted. It runs really well and looks good. I had the paint rectified on the front wings and I now have the MG graphics, but I think I am going to wait until spring now before fitting them. 

87163638_IMG_20191028_115441broad.thumb.jpg.d0819aca4f2757a396c5a300e774b98e.jpg

1629733880_IMG_20191028_115512broad.thumb.jpg.c10a215f08dfa50c8dd08f15de195916.jpg

1454609522_IMG_20191028_115530broad.thumb.jpg.1d38f3b6113a2a5b3ea749ba85a08d2f.jpg

692275975_IMG_20191028_115559broad.thumb.jpg.6a4f684e600f3247d745ace7f0fa4614.jpg

20064289_IMG_20191028_115608broad.thumb.jpg.63f327b2d498637ad30838190f9c6be9.jpg

1111876760_IMG_20191028_115643bridge.thumb.jpg.b168f346b95130b14417baf1f68cd1f0.jpg

This is how it had ended up before we got it.

1942298954__122(4)broad.thumb.jpg.f3a06f3e87a7b5fc5bf3e9c83bb422a5.jpg

3 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

wow thats come a long way since that bottom picture!

looks really nice :) (did ya get the weather strip problem sorted out in the end?)

He happened to be parked next to a few other identical cars with good weather strips at Milton Keynes museum.....