Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Saying goodbye to a fleet member!

Six-cylinder

30 minutes ago, chaseracer said:

Sorry to be missing this but, as yesterday proved, I can't even drive to the Truckers Rest and back without needing the afternoon to recover!  Still, onward and upward - see y'all in a Cheshire field soon.

Sam - hope Uncle Reg is comfortable.

Meh, too distant a relation for me to be that upset by it much! 

A big thanks to everybody who came and joined us over the weekend,  it is great to see you all.

I never thought I would ever ride the Peugeot Elyseo 50cc scooter again but it has been resurrected from the dead so we ended up with the 3 resident scooters running together.

896427584_IMG_20190811_144855broad.thumb.jpg.8846e32723539f8391885ed4f8422994.jpg

At times traffic seems so bad I thought I would need to turn it into a smart grass carriageway! 

1529748065_IMG_20190811_121314_1broad.thumb.jpg.f363acadc9344afded65ffe98f2d75a3.jpg

If dad was not a failure I would not have to ride my sister bike!

703780120_IMG_20190811_120604broad.thumb.jpg.d518b3c24dd868d9b23e44e76f4bb37d.jpg

Doctor Andyrew can the patient be saved!

1476234921_IMG_20190811_135339broad.thumb.jpg.28a330bf2bb330d0a5576e5cdfe392d6.jpg

A special thanks to phil_lihp who tirelessly tackled the faded paintwork on the Alfa Giulietta.

2139732313_IMG_20190811_145202broad.thumb.jpg.fbcd78ceee151c8c3f2dab4c16c1e0d1.jpg

what a Fun weekend :) 

thank you to @Mrs6C and @Six-cylinder for putting me up for the night!

and thank you to everyone else for putting up with my invacar related shenanigans and ramblings :mrgreen:

heres a few photos from the event etc :) 

on the way there I spotted an old school locomotive next to the train I was boarding

hopefully its a good enough photo for the train enthusiasts :)

image.thumb.png.3774be9d2b9391b2b5cea44acf382980.png

not sure if it was planned this way but we got all the red cars in a line 

image.thumb.png.31bb99a0b8c1a326058fef6b5cf73442.png

I didn't realise quite how well my backpack matched the colour of my Invacar :mrgreen:

image.thumb.png.ef4eceebb9d5a9a3d6d23e68c4f2e6a4.png

also finally got a look at the pulleys in REV, not that there where any issues, but I still wanted to have a glance at them for peace of mind

theres a little bit of surface corrosion on the steel pulley but hopefully nothing too bad, ill have to see how it does when I can get her on flat ground and go for a high(er) speed run

image.thumb.png.5a5e72ddcf66edb7487ce14744afa60e.png

Nissan Cedric engine bay, thanks to @Heidel_Kakao for letting drive it round the field a couple times :)

image.thumb.png.5176db92116877cfa4f87ea3e4acf913.png

we also got a look at the Pulleys in Dolly, I dont think I have seen 1 painted red like that before

image.thumb.png.8d333009cda934b0a38bba1b970beee2.png

continuing the question of what colour is a Model 70, the insides of the transmission cover from Dolly an AC on the left and Rev an Invacar on the right, the AC is much more green then the invacar

image.thumb.png.2ff926d14584f22e66dd8da68eb13238.png

managed to nab an arty shot of the dash light on REV :)

image.thumb.png.bf91742e79694da6f62704d2ec708f06.png

invacar by dusk :)

image.thumb.png.d7789502d7bc29a1d410b49556621b13.png

Invacar from a few different angles, this time with all the doors closed!

IMG_0504.thumb.JPG.a6977d5ac650b2ae16497009589fe87e.JPGIMG_0505.thumb.JPG.31c9ceb5defa0b3ee0d09994293743c6.JPGIMG_0506.thumb.JPG.c48e135facf0ba8eb5401ed5bed795af.JPG

the next day the C15 arrived :) when I signed up to autoshite and saw these it was one of those "Oh yeah these used to be everywhere in London then they all vanished suddenly" moments

IMG_0511.thumb.JPG.3330546be14b8fd4eeebd84a7a7f93a7.JPG

Crazy cats!

image.thumb.png.5b35524d7268bd1c40b3c70435177f80.png

Bobby having fun in Rev :) 

image.thumb.png.188cb4179d4cf5cbd8c43af9bcb5be2d.png

yes its as bumpy/bouncy as it looks, I dont think Model 70's were made for off roading! 

the autoshite taskforce :) 

image.thumb.png.794e19e181f4c6b3c861a94b4cd3b81b.png

dont worry Zel/dollywobbler my Invacar leaks too!, im not actually sure where its coming from I can see where its dripping down from, but theres no obvious hole there so I assume its leaking in elsewhere and then running down and dripping

another arty shot :)

image.thumb.png.b128f4740ba74ebdfc60c844d7105849.png

Model 70's waving hello?, try as we might sadly we could not get Dolly moving, we could start the engine and run it at high speed but it just would not idle despite cleaning all the jets and taking the carb off, and we need the engine to idle so we can safely put her into gear

image.thumb.png.64b73f41fd1edc6abb686d75c932a548.png

sadly we weren't able to replace the fuel hose on REV either as we discovered the fuel leak is coming from the tank itself, hopefully its just a small hole in the tank that can be patched/plugged with something

we also sadly was not able to replace the twist grip on REV, because the twist grips we have on hand, have a wider hole for a bigger "ferrule" on the end of the throttle cable outer, but we were able to bodge it together so the throttle cable would act as the stop for the twist grip and stop you from twisting it the wrong way which would cause the cable to jump out of the twist grip,

however we think the Throttle cable could be run better, so we are curious to see how the throttle cable is run in TWC or TPA (the throttle is springing closed as it should, but you have to twist pretty hard to open the throttle) we also had to tie the outer in place inside the cabin, as the outer would pull into the cabin jamming the throttle on otherwise

who knew a throttle cable would be such a PITA LOL

but we at least got a chance to jack her up in the air and have a look underneath, i'm pleased to report there's no gaping rust holes in the chassis :)

by the end of the day REV had clocked up a few more miles :) she clocked up an extra mile or 2 after this photo was taken, meaning she has clocked up about 10 miles since I got her, just running around the small camping part of the Fod :)

image.thumb.png.953d045d960f6fa7802aea9561dfd178.png

at the end of the day after everyone had left Mrs6c, gave me a driving lesson in the ZX,

Im probably the only person where driving a normal car is currently scarier for them than driving an Invacar is LOL but im very thankful to Mrs6c for the lesson :)

all in all an Awesome weekend even if it did not quite go to plan for me LOL and many thanks to everyone who was involved in it all and helped out with various things :)

(although I think i might put off the driving lessons for another week because my everything is very painful right now)

I had failed to thank Catsinthewelder for his help with bullying the C15 to start and then driving up to the FoD! It failed to start after standing for 3 months so yesterday cats helped me tow start it, the high compression of a diesel can make them tricky tow start, lighter cars need to give them a jerk that can pull out tow eyes but with 2600 kg diesel Range Rover pulling it is very controllable. It still took a while to get going, no wonder recent glow plugs, pumping up the fuel, fresh battery and jump pack did not get it going. It now starts on the button.

IMG_0511.JPG.jpg

3 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

The really great news is a rebuilt accelerator cable for the CX from Venhill came today, along with the bracket that Andyrew kindly welded up for me means we can have another go at getting the CX running again..

IMG_20190813_165411 broad.jpg

Aha, so the Venhill tip came good in the end!

Has REV got new tyres yet?  Might be worth getting someone who's insured to take it for a quick buzz up the road outside the FoD to check that everything behaves itself past the c.15mph you can do on the field - it's tax and MOT exempt so it'd even be legal-ish.  Probably not a good idea on the original tyres though.

3 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Has REV got new tyres yet?  Might be worth getting someone who's insured to take it for a quick buzz up the road outside the FoD to check that everything behaves itself past the c.15mph you can do on the field - it's tax and MOT exempt so it'd even be legal-ish.  Probably not a good idea on the original tyres though.

oh thats a good point some people here have policies that cover other peoples cars 3rd party right? (I think thats how DW does all his road tests right?)

I would very much like to get REV out on some tarmac and see how she does (especially to see how the CVT responds at higher speeds)

no new tyres yet but id also want the brakes sorting out before any sort of high speed run, as when they do eventually bite after far too much "pedal" travel she pulls to one side quite badly

but as mentioned here https://autoshite.com/topic/29975-dollywobblers-invacar-actual-brake-down/?do=findComment&comment=1857906 hopefully the brakes will respond well to just some tweaking of the adjuster and some fresh fluid :)

(as a side note I dont think the roads just outside the FoD are any smoother than the FoD itself LOL)

12 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

oh thats a good point some people here have policies that cover other peoples cars 3rd party right? (I think thats how DW does all his road tests right?)

I would very much like to get REV out on some tarmac and see how she does (especially to see how the CVT responds at higher speeds)

no new tyres yet but id also want the brakes sorting out before any sort of high speed run, as when they do eventually bite after far too much "pedal" travel she pulls to one side quite badly

but as mentioned here https://autoshite.com/topic/29975-dollywobblers-invacar-actual-brake-down/?do=findComment&comment=1857906 hopefully the brakes will respond well to just some tweaking of the adjuster and some fresh fluid :)

(as a side note I dont think the roads just outside the FoD are any smoother than the FoD itself LOL)

Most insurance companies have tightened the rules on driving other cars third party.  It would be wise to check before exploring the performance and handling envelope of REV on public roads.  The new rules may include wording such as 'in an emergency' blah blah  effectively excluding 'taking a car for a spin.'  Others exclude drivers <25 years old and one or two apparently require prior notice if you want to use the 'other cars not owned by you' clause.  I'm not an expert though.  

I agree regarding the road near the FOD. My Reliant did not like it and even the Tipo knocked on some of the potholes.

7 minutes ago, RayMK said:

Most insurance companies have tightened the rules on driving other cars third party.  It would be wise to check before exploring the performance and handling envelope of REV on public roads.  The new rules may include wording such as 'in an emergency' blah blah  effectively excluding 'taking a car for a spin.'  Others exclude drivers <25 years old and one or two apparently require prior notice if you want to use the 'other cars not owned by you' clause.  I'm not an expert though.  

I agree regarding the road near the FOD. My Reliant did not like it and even the Tipo knocked on some of the potholes.

The car being driven under your" other cars cover not owned by you",  also needs to have it's own policy.

26 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

The car being driven under your" other cars cover not owned by you",  also needs to have it's own policy.

Depends on the insurer. Direct Line policies don't require this and doesn't make this stipulation. However as soon as they get out of the car, it then effectively becomes uninsured vehicle on the road. 

15658699107954313703806115496184.jpg