Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

18 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Although it might have mysteriously developed a puncture in one of its rear wheels, and a rust hole in its fuel tank.

I have a bad feeling about this LOL

image.thumb.png.6ce36ff7e957918db9fc7c46d50a95ca.png

(as a side note for those who do want to drive her, I think she is slightly leaking fuel from where the metal fuel lines in the engine bay go to flexible hose in the engine bay, just something to be aware of especially if you smoke!)

23 minutes ago, RayMK said:

Many thanks to Mr & Mrs 6cyl for their hospitality, arranging good weather and providing a field to relax in and, to those who were available, for a beige chat now and then.  Most enjoyable.

It was lovely to meet you, Ray. Glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself! 

Wanted

10 inch Mini wheels with tyres that hold air.

Neither Mrs6C or Light Bulb Funs Invacars are ready for the road so I am not keen to buy new tyres yet, but Mrs6C has a couple that don't hold air and the ones on Light Bulb Funs one are so badly cracked there are concerns that they could explode with a resulting crash while being driven.

Has anybody any Mini wheels to sell and  tide them over?

Wheel change Invacar.jpg

7 minutes ago, Bfg said:

a couple of inner tubes shouldn't cost much. I'd guess that size is still used on small trailers

When I got inner tubes for mine, I think they were oversized for the 12 inch wheels, but they were sourced for me, so can't quite remember...

https://www.vintagetyres.com/shop/swift-inner-tube-500-520-10-also-145-10-and-165-70-10

vintage tyre list this inner tube as being compatible with the BN313 Tyres that TPA have

(and i imagine are of the same size as whats currently on REV and OPH although always worth double checking, assuming you can even read the markings through the cracking LOL)

although worth mentioning the cracking/bulging on one of REVs tyres, would that still be an issue with tubes?

as a side note its funny how this has sort of gone full circle for me, as when I was young I used to enjoy buying Inner Tubes from the local tyre fitters place :mrgreen:

I still want a big fuck off Lorry/tractor inner tube one of these days LOL!

mind anyone complaining about the bulging on REV, I have seen worse on a Model 70!

image.thumb.png.621df8ed53fb1e655b14cae9077d415e.png

I've got two wheels, currently not holding air, though one may if I could get the bead seated.  Wheels are in pretty good shape as I recall.  I've no use for them so you're welcome to them.

Not sure if I'll have the opportunity to drop them over this week, but you're welcome to them.

Given the heat this week it's not likely to happen, but if I can I'll see if I can get any air into them.  Might be time for the old lighter fuel trick...see if I can burn my eyebrows off again...

4 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Might be time for the old lighter fuel trick...see if I can burn my eyebrows off again...

IIRC @Andyrew manage to get one of OPHs tyres seated on the bead via the ratchet strap method

well at least to hold air long enough so we could tow her forward a bit :)

so maybe that might be worth a shot before sacrificing your eyebrows to the tyre gods? :mrgreen:

7 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

@BorniteIdentity you dont happen to still have the pair that got ruined by bad tracking? or have they been worn so badly that they are not safe for field use?

They might still be at the garage in their disposal area. They were proper smooth on the edges but if they are still there I know the owner will have no problem with me having them back. 

I should be passing there in the next day or so - happy to ask. 

I’m afraid I can’t help with any wheels - but if someone has a set around Cambridge I’d be only to happy to scoop them up and bring them over at some time.

I will report back! 

8 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Excellent. I will get up there today and see if I can salvage anything!! 

I have reread your post and now I understand there are no rims?

I am trying to avoid paying to have old tyres moved or inner tubes fitted and was really looking for wheels/tyres that can be put on or I will just have new tyres fitted to Mrs6C's one.

LightBulbFun may think differently for his.

4 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Hang on. 

What size do you need? My Mini is the last of the MKIV’s so runs 10’’ wheels. 

I’ve never paid much attention but I reckon you’re after 12’’ ? 

The Model 70 Mark A from June 1971 to June 1974 indeed ran on 12 inch wheels

but from July 1974 with the introduction of the Model 70 Mark B they switched to 10 inch Mini wheels among other changes :) 

(while as TPA demonstrates you can stick 10 inch wheels on a Mark A, I have been told if you stick 12 inch wheels onto a Mark B they will rub in the wheel arches) 

Both REV451R and OPH868R are from November 1976 so are Model 70 Mark B's :)

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

LightBulbFun may think differently for his.

no no what you say sounds entirely reasonable :)

(and when it is time to get new tyres I think the plan is to see if we can get a bulk discount on 6 or something like that)

3 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

For Mrs6C's I will continue to search for at least one used wheel/tyre that holds air as every time we go to it having a flat tyre is a pain. 

yeah by new tyres I meant new tyres for on road use when we finally get there :) 

I fully understand why you want to get some tyres that just hold air for field use/working on the vehicle

hopefully between the wheels from Zel and tyres from BorniteIdentity something can be put together that holds air and is good enough for field use/testing :)  

Got two wheels here, one of which is holding air. One probably will if I can get the tyre to seat I reckon.

IMG_20190724_165716.thumb.jpg.7c824e63110d9a671538be6efd270873.jpg

Given how hectic things are here just now not sure when I'll next be over that way, but if I am I'll drop them off.  If you're around MK drop me a line and we can arrange pickup.

There are a bunch of 12" ones too, not sure if I have a full set of three that are serviceable though.

7 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Got two wheels here, one of which is holding air. One probably will if I can get the tyre to seat I reckon.

Given how hectic things are here just now not sure when I'll next be over that way, but if I am I'll drop them off.  If you're around MK drop me a line and we can arrange pickup.

One 10 inch that holds air would advance us.

Mrs6C's ZX is in Newport Pagnell having a cambelt service and a couple of jobs so when I get the call to collect it I will see if you are about.