Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

haha Awesome stuff!

I have to say many thanks to @Mrs6C for volunteering to go half and half with me :) she is pretty much the perfect person I was hoping would go half and half with me, so I was very happy when she PMed me about it :)

as I know very well that she knows the history behind these vehicles, and will appreciate and understand them :) (as I mentioned in my thread at the time, I really wanted to make sure the other Model 70 went to a good home)

I also have to thank Mrs6C for doing a lot of the heavy lifting, literally! by arranging transportation for mine and hers down to the FoD :) and also being ready at the drop of the hat, I imagine any later etc, and we would of lost them to the Annesley guy

happy to see REV has already been able to lend a hand in things, well wheel in this case!

40 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

While he’s not looking, surely it’s a great opportunity to source some spare parts ;-)

its not even in Hackney yet and someone's already stolen my Rimz! :mrgreen:

how did the brakes look while you were nicking my wheels? :) 

37 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Excuse my ignorance, but is Mrs 6cyls also an invacar? It has a different shaped nose badge.

Mrs6C's Model 70 is an AC Model 70 :) (she does have a name ill let Mrs6c reveal that tho :) )

the government contracted AC (the same AC, of AC Cobra fame!)  to designed and and build the Model 70 as the end all and be all of invalid vehicles, the Government also contracted Invacar to build the Model 70, but invacar had no input on the design etc

however the word Invacar however has become a colloquial term for any sort of Invalid vehicle, like how Hoover has become a generic term for appliances that clean stuff via suction

46 minutes ago, quicksilver said:

It all seems a bit surreal really. When I wrote about Invacars a few years ago and vaguely hoped I might see one someday, I never thought I would end up so well acquainted with so many of them!

Funny how life works like that :) time for part 3 on the blog? :mrgreen:

20 minutes ago, quicksilver said:

Technically no, this is the AC version of the Model 70. It even has a sports steering wheel with an AC badge, just* like a Cobra.

invacar9.thumb.jpg.78014d86a067ca8b594a861ade2fbee6.jpg

im still most curious about that steering wheel! I have not seen a Model 70 with that specific type of wheel before, I really do wonder given the AC badge, if they did just borrow a wheel from the AC Cobra production line or something :) sadly i dont know what kind of steering wheels AC Sports cars were equipped with at the time!

(also looking at the photo, I have never seen one with Dash mounted heater/choke controls like that)

in terms of control scheme layout Mrs6c's Model 70 is far more interesting then mine!

also condition wise, aside from no fuel tank, I honestly dont think she is far off the condition Rev is in, seeing as both where last on the road in 2003

14 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Is that a massive flappy paddle for racing downshifts too? 

from what I understand the steering wheel Model 70's are only a couple turns lock to lock

must be for maximum steering responsiveness when racing right? :mrgreen:

On 11/2/2017 at 12:56 PM, John F said:

Haha, Invacars. Hopefully one with a steering wheel & one with handlebars for maximum shite points.

it took nearly 2 years but we finally did it! LOL

10 minutes ago, quicksilver said:

It's a flappy paddle throttle (pull forward) combined with a flappy paddle brake (push back). Any guesses what this Heath Robinson contraption that looks like it belongs on a tractor does?

invacar10.thumb.jpg.80925681168ebd60bec2de6aa0119cc1.jpg

thats the hand brake mechanism AFAIK :) TJN352R has such a setup as well

I really look forward to seeing this one running and hitting the road

it will be very interesting to hear how the steering wheel Model 70 is to drive compared to the handlebar configuration :)

as I said in my main invacar thread, many thanks to everyone involved who helped make this amazing thing happen for me and Mrs6c :)

4 minutes ago, GrumpyCat said:

Certainly looks far better than the "parts car" I imagined. Look forward to see them both returned to the road.

It is far worse that these general photos show with heat damage from a nearby shed fire and bare glass fibre matting on the roof.

2 minutes ago, egg said:

Well it's true this forum probably owns more running Invacars than anyone else ? 

I assume Mrs 6c will now have the fun of getting a V5 out of the DVLA?

We hope it is just a matter of filling in the form and paying the lost V5C fee as it comes up on the DVLA database.

16 minutes ago, GrumpyCat said:

Certainly looks far better than the "parts car" I'd imagined. Look forward to see them both returned to the road.

The only obvious missing part is one of the rear light lenses so it doesn't appear to have ever actually been used as a spares donor. It must have been in pretty good shape before the fire as there is very little bodywork damage apart from that caused by the fire.  

Burnt fibreglass has an amazing* patina

invacar11.thumb.jpg.97176b70bb02eaa51f2e4a7525dc4c9b.jpg

And there's a couple of patches on the roof where the gelcoat has burnt away completely to expose raw fibreglass

invacar12.thumb.jpg.5dcfa5fa7e8c75a52818ae0e2dc2869c.jpg

2 minutes ago, quicksilver said:

The only obvious missing part is one of the rear light lenses so it doesn't appear to have ever actually been used as a spares donor. It must have been in pretty good shape before the fire as there is very little bodywork damage apart from that caused by the fire.  

Excellent news. I notice the engine cover is not in the pictures, I'd assumed this was missing too.

26 minutes ago, GrumpyCat said:

Certainly looks far better than the "parts car" I imagined. Look forward to see them both returned to the road.

its certainly much better then I was initially expecting when I was told over the phone that a shed burned down next to it

I was expecting 1 side to be all burnt and melted, but no just paint damage mostly and some slightly melted rubber seals 

and it was running and driving at 1 point in time, the owners son used to drive it round a paddock IIRC

(we know it runs from a jam jar, hopefully it moves, it currently does not have a fuel tank!)

19 minutes ago, egg said:

Well it's true this forum probably owns more running Invacars than anyone else ? 

I was thinking that! :mrgreen:

15 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

We hope it is just a matter of filling in the form and paying the lost V5C fee as it comes up on the DVLA database.

indeed since I figured out the registration no and it does show up on the DVLA checker no problem

its just a case of filling out a V62 as normal, been there done that with MPH759P! :)

14 minutes ago, quicksilver said:

Burnt fibreglass has an amazing* patina

invacar11.thumb.jpg.97176b70bb02eaa51f2e4a7525dc4c9b.jpg

And there's a couple of patches on the roof where the gelcoat has burnt away completely to expose raw fibreglass

invacar12.thumb.jpg.5dcfa5fa7e8c75a52818ae0e2dc2869c.jpg

its interesting how the roof took the most damage, I wonder if a burning bit of shed landed on the roof or something?

nothing a bit of that fibreglass stuff @Zelandeth uses and some filler wont sort tho :) 

11 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

ANOTHER another Invacar.

Oh good. 

Dolly

then Zel

then Oli E

then me

then LBF

then Mrs 6

= 6.

Total known AC/Invacars (model 70 and Mk12) = 120-130. 

We have a long way to go ?

Bornite, you are going to have to get a Tippen Delta!

31 minutes ago, egg said:

Dolly

then Zel

then Oli E

then me

then LBF

then Mrs 6

= 6.

We have a long way to go ?

Bornite, you are going to have to get a Tippen Delta!

Is that more Invacars than the collective membership of the ICR?

43 minutes ago, egg said:

OPH868R is I THINK the 80th known Surviving Model 70 :) 

(i think stuart has been aware of it for a few years now, he was never able to get any info on her until now so im not sure how he included her in his lists until now)

with 37 Known surviving Mk12s (XWC468F being the 37th :) )  

that makes for a total of 117 :) IIRC theres a total of about 330 known surviving Invalid vehicles of one form or another (including that Mk10 Factory scale prototype toy thingy :D )

a fun thing for me is despite REV451R and OPH868R coming to the seller from 2 completely separate sources, its fun to note they where both registered in November 1976 :)

11 minutes ago, SiC said:

Is that more Invacars than the collective membership of the ICR?

despite them being a registered with the DVLA car club/register i dont think theres any way to Join them or anything sadly :( 

but they (well simon) own a Tippen Delta, 7 Mk12s and 2 Model 70's (VPF441M and PPC363R ) AFAIK

(plus a few other earlier villiers machines etc)

2 hours ago, GrumpyCat said:

Excellent news. I notice the engine cover is not in the pictures, I'd assumed this was missing too.

The engine cover is all present and correct. It was put inside the cabin for the collection as it wasn't bolted to the hinges and we didn't want it to escape en route! It was then left off during the Maxi towing manouvres...

Just now, GrumpyCat said:

Ah, I hoped that was the case. What are the plans for the fuel tank, is it actually missing or just not fitted?

It's actually in situ currently but it has rusted through around the filler neck, so needs a decent repair or I must source another tank. Zel had a new one made for his, so there are options...

2 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Result. Does it run and drive? What's its story?

She runs (gravity-fed from a jam jar, at least - haven't tried via the fuel pump) and I'm told she drives as well, but currently she has a tyre that loses air quickly and needs a better petrol container than a jam jar! When the fuel tank is removed, there looks to be space enough to place a 5 or 10 litre petrol can, securely enough to conduct field trials.

LightBulbFun posted this video of her running, on his thread:

On 7/16/2019 at 11:41 PM, LightBulbFun said:

on that note, to avoid being any more of a burden to Zel etc (and so i dont bankrupt myself with train tickets and do my back in!)

are there any shitters going near/through London for this event, who could potentially scoop me up on saturday and take me to the FoD gathering and then back home?

(id be up  for friday/Sunday but im not setup for camping so im ruling that out unless someone also has a spare room/bed for me to sleep in)

I was just thinking about this saturday, I know a few people on the 13th wanted to see me at the FoD gathering on the 20th

im not 100% sure if I can make it (my sister is "threatening" to visit over the weekend)

but I at least got some money in from the government so the train tickets should not bankrupt me and I think its worth the back pain, given the large gathering happening at the FoD and seeing REV again, and REV and OPH together :) 

but this leaves the issue of, I have no way to get from the train station (I think Milton Keynes central is the closest station? its the one i know how to get to anyway!) to the FoD

so I was wondering if any would be able to pick me up and take me back to the station on the day?

(im just interested in the gathering at the FoD, ill do the FoTU when REV is on the road:) )

(if anyone is up for scooping me up from London and taking me back to London, so I can avoid the literal pain that is Public transport that would be greatly appreciated, im fully willing to pay some towards fuel if needed :) )

10 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

I could collect you from Bletchley or MK if you came up in the morning and could run you back in the evening, if that would help? I'm out for the afternoon but there should be enough folk around at the FoD to keep you amused, fed and watered.

Thanks Good to know the option is there :) (I was just going to PM you directly about it, but I know a bunch of shitters will be buzzing around the area and I didn't want to be a specific bother to you so I figured id ask publicly first :) )

37 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

She runs (gravity-fed from a jam jar, at least - haven't tried via the fuel pump) and I'm told she drives as well, but currently she has a tyre that loses air quickly and needs a better petrol container than a jam jar! When the fuel tank is removed, there looks to be space enough to place a 5 or 10 litre petrol can, securely enough to conduct field trials.

LightBulbFun posted this video of her running, on his thread:

well it went crunch at the start so we know there's a gearbox in there somewhere, always a good start! :mrgreen:

I can't pick you up from the station because I'll have eva and the back seats removed to fit my small tent, but I can feed you cups of tea and buy you a gormet FoD dinner* all day

*Dinner may or may not be a pot noodle or 2 tins of all day breakfast... Prices may vary. Offered items may differ from those advertised

thanks for the offers :)

sadly I wont be able to make it, as I just got confirmation my sister is visiting on saturday

people are welcome to drive REV if they want to :)  just try not to crash and if you break her please try and fix her!

do keep in mind she is very much my pride and Joy!