Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Well that didn’t go well!

Six-cylinder

on that note, to avoid being any more of a burden to Zel etc (and so i dont bankrupt myself with train tickets and do my back in!)

are there any shitters going near/through London for this event, who could potentially scoop me up on saturday and take me to the FoD gathering and then back home?

(id be up  for friday/Sunday but im not setup for camping so im ruling that out unless someone also has a spare room/bed for me to sleep in)

19 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

You're not far away from me are you?  Sure we could convoy if it would be helpful.

I'm going to be limited to the event itself it looks like as we've got a new dog joining the family on Sunday, so it's going to be a very busy weekend...

Thank you for the kind offer.  I should think I'll be ok in the Tipo and will be FODing only.  It is a fine example of Italian engineering, after all.  I use it as daily transport on alternate weeks or less often when modern air conditioning out trumps open windows.  I've been round the block in the Reliant three times this month without problems, though I still have to keep the internal engine cowling off to prevent vapour locking.  This makes it unpleasant to drive.  One day I'll fit the electric fuel pump that I bought years ago.......incidentally, the fuel tank leak I thought I had discovered has not recurred.

10 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

are there any shitters going near/through London for this event, who could potentially scoop me up on saturday and take me to the FoD gathering and then back home?

Sorry Dez, would like to help but I've booked (a single!) hotel room for Friday night, so won't be able to help.

2 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

Are you coming back to the FoD at the weekend, maybe you could give it a try for me?

IMG_20190716_160630 broad.jpg

It could be that broken cooling fin? Also you've not refitted the plastic panel yet. Hope you got the cover on easily enough.

2 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

It could be that broken cooling fin? Also you've not refitted the plastic panel yet. Hope you got the cover on easily enough.

The belt cover fitted fine and I made a new gasket, but the rear bolt for the small bracket underneath will not grip and seems too short. I tried substituting  some others but still they seem short.

That was the first test drive I have now fitted the plastic panel.

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

The belt cover fitted fine and I made a new gasket, but the rear bolt for the small bracket underneath will not grip and seems too short. I tried substituting  some others but still they seem short.

That was the first test drive I have now fitted the plastic panel.

Pretty sure the left bolt for the bracket was the short one, the other was the same length as most of the others.

4 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

Are you coming back to the FoD at the weekend, maybe you could give it a try for me?

IMG_20190716_160630 broad.jpg

Vibrations the name of the game with these I think. I had a 110cc on before for a bit and it certainly wasn't the most refined of things. 

I'm certain the bed adds to the noise as it vibrates alot

Agree with the seating position aswell. It's very upright. May be the bed could be repositioned back a few inches. 

29 minutes ago, Andyrew said:

Does this mean what I think it does?

Not me, I want to make it clear I think they are an interesting part of social history but as a vehicle to drive about in there are hundreds of other cars I would rather have.

However this is Mrs6C choice and purchase and I have to live with it, just as she did not think my purchase a crashed Chinese scooter with parts from another make of scooter taped to it was a good idea!

4 minutes ago, Eyersey1234 said:

Is the FOD gathering every year? Sadly I won't be able to attend this year but hopefully next. 

It is a bit random, it is our field so we can do as we please within reason. If Autoshiters are attending an event in the area we are happy to provide a camping field and this leads to other Autoshiters popping in and a social gathering.

The other thing we do is to have 2 or 3 separate tinkering days a year, work on/clean your own car in pleasant surrounding or for a change I have always got several projects on the go you can help out with.

Soon the hay will be cut and we will have the big 10 acre field to play in, this means you can get the large toys ours like JCB digger, tractor and dumpers. If you have a child you want to give a driving experience you can take them out in your own car round the field. Strictly no racing or high speed stuff.

Our worst enemy is the weather as we have little undercover and limited hard standing, but a great paddock.

Anybody wonder what happened to our Gamma!

It is back home and I drove it here 20 miles. It runs smoothly and the only small issue was it was difficult to hot restart after a 10 minute stop.

In previous posts I told a sad tale of a valve head breaking off so it has had the engine taken out. It has had a replacement head and both camshafts with their rockers, all easy to say but hats off to these guys who did it for me, they are fantastic to take on such an unusual problem child.

I should also say I am very grateful to the Lancia Gamma Consortium for sourcing the parts for me.

IMG_20190717_145355 broad.jpg

IMG_20190717_145939 broad.jpg

37 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

aww *takes invacar out of reverse* :mrgreen:

Being able to go at the same speed backwards as forwards is a scary concept for a road vehicle, especially something as inherently stable" as an Invacar.
Invacars are scary enough going forwards (ask me how I know).
Still if it was to fall over at least the field is softer than tarmac.

3 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

Not me, I want to make it clear I think they are an interesting part of social history but as a vehicle to drive about in there are hundreds of other cars I would rather have.

However this is Mrs6C choice and purchase and I have to live with it, just as she did not think my purchase a crashed Chinese scooter with parts from another make of scooter taped to it was a good idea!

Ohhh i see, this old chestnut.

"it's not mine it's my wifes" 

So now Mrs6C has identified herself I can reveal I was back in the FOD yesterday to assist with another delivery of the Invacar variety. It must have been deja vu for Dave the transport guy.

An arrival arrived. Slowsilver scratched his head over how we were going to unload it with that flat tyre.

invacar1.thumb.jpg.56030e4d1426046fff68fd1db05a22d1.jpg

If only we had another Invacar we could borrow a wheel from. Oh wait, we do...

invacar2.thumb.jpg.59db840e547616bfbe44f4525a4d22a6.jpg

A wheel that's actually round is a lot more helpful

invacar3.thumb.jpg.98fe62def2a5958125b5a32c25597871.jpg

BOOM! The Invacar has landed

invacar4.thumb.jpg.42ee1bd4858d81daca972041d8d02581.jpg

We decided it would be much more comfortable to work on it in the field. Deploy the Maxi!

invacar5.thumb.jpg.2873cf069c8760108fc2639a1f6ec25e.jpg

invacar6.thumb.jpg.ad84c23140e10507b06a2c4b32c25149.jpg

Having rounded up the naughty little Invacars, the Maxi keeps them safely penned in the corner

invacar8.thumb.jpg.1e57ee6f4408b7a3e1b46c8337b23eb2.jpg

The Invacars are multiplying! Don't worry @LightBulbFun, we put the wheel back on REV.

invacar7.thumb.jpg.dac61c8a02b0014f477313aef5449602.jpg

It all seems a bit surreal really. When I wrote about Invacars a few years ago and vaguely hoped I might see one someday, I never thought I would end up so well acquainted with so many of them!

16 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Excuse my ignorance, but is Mrs 6cyls also an invacar? It has a different shaped nose badge.

Technically no, this is the AC version of the Model 70. It even has a sports steering wheel with an AC badge, just* like a Cobra.

invacar9.thumb.jpg.78014d86a067ca8b594a861ade2fbee6.jpg