Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Saying goodbye to a fleet member!

Six-cylinder

Photobombed by the Toucan... :-)

Didn’t notice that! Mr sixcyl appears to have dragooned me into fitting it. Sadly I noticed too late that the current roof was missing a couple of studs. Hopefully the rest will be straightforward. It’s copy for my ccc column anyway.

Didn’t notice that! Mr sixcyl appears to have dragooned me into fitting it. Sadly I noticed too late that the current roof was missing a couple of studs. Hopefully the rest will be straightforward. It’s copy for my ccc column anyway.

I'm sure that Six-Cylinder can make up for any that are missing! ;-)

Ok have been reprimanded by Mrs6C for making the "spot what I am working on" too easy and even leaving the "parts for 2CV" on the packing tape I never spotted.  

Thanks Richard your experience is valuable when doing this job.

I’m no expert but I think this will be my fifth roof I’ve helped fit. It’s been a while since the last one though. But I don’t suppose they’ve changed.

I keep thinking about changing my 2CV for a Dyane, would that make it easier if I can get a Dyane this week needing a new hood!

Dyanes are better value at the moment, but suffer from at least as much rust - much of it hidden as they have more double skinned panels. The bulkhead under the windscreen is a particular rust hole.

Oh and I’ve no idea on replaceing a Dyane roof- the last time I was in one I was seven!

I'm digging my Dyane out on Wednesday for some welding and hoping to have it back on the road for may, it will be half nice paint half shite but I just want to get it back on the road,

Maybe it'll get a chance to pop to the next FOD visit.

I would like to try a Dyane as I am told there is just a fraction more room in them.

Not a good morning VP1500 will not start and blocking the garage with the E30 I was taking to storage. I had to move the black 156 so I could roll the VP back but now it is taking two parking spaces. The plan was to let my friend park his C5 in one of them but we used it as a slave car for going to storage instead. At storage my 2CV would not start  and I borrowed the C5 to get some more petrol, the engine light came on while I was out so I will never hear the last of that.

So a fail with my 2CV that will not draw fuel up and after 4 hours my friend ran out of time and the car still will not run.

Worse still I have taken to drink at lunchtime!

post-4787-0-18931000-1554463473_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-00739800-1554463492_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-31391500-1554463511_thumb.jpg

Shock news I have fixed my own car!

I went back to the 2CV this afternoon for round two of getting it started, I cut a new fuel pipe, but dropped a hose clip down the side of the engine. I could not find it and pushed my torch down the side of the engine as well looking for it and dropped the torch too. Being larger and having a handle I managed to get it out using the aerial mast from my MX5 and a pair of long handle pliers, when I tried to rest the torch down it would not sit flat because the hose clip was sat on it magnetic base!

Next stage was to fill the new pipe with petrol using a small funnel so it ran into the pump and eventually petrol stopped dribbling away so I reconnected it to the carb. Bingo it started up with little trouble.

post-4787-0-30115900-1554486181_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-62766300-1554486199_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-73028800-1554486219_thumb.jpg

The fuel drains back ( I have a one way valve and it still happens) and then the pump Doesn’t like pumping air.

It never used to be a problem though. So, is it changing fuel that causes this, or was it just that 2CVs generally didn't sit around for weeks/months at a time back in the day?