Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

On 11/6/2022 at 9:19 PM, Six-cylinder said:

When I get it running how do you switch it off?

Also what is the plastic tube thing that was loose under the topcover

Decompressor lever to stop, the clutch is centrifugal so you can’t stall it (or shouldn’t be able to)

the plastic tube is the carb fuel return - there’s no float bowl, instead the pump pumps continually with the excess fuel weiring over into the large return pipe.

30 mph is doable down a steep hill, 40 if you lift the engine off the wheel! But generally 18 or so on the flat

25D2D2E4-4294-4AA5-9F61-EFD1BD517481.jpeg

Mid November and the weather is lovely but soon winter will be with us. What a good time to be donated a roller shutter door for the FoD and it was delivered today. A chance to play with the JCB.

Back in May 2018 I bought a 2.5 six cylinder Triumph engine with the view to fitting it to my Vitesse from my favourite garage. A while ago I was asked if I sell it back as now the car it came from is being restored. Rather than take my money back I have requested an IOU for a Triumph engine when I am ready for one.

I had to move out the BMW E3 to get the engine out of the garage and it started well and and drove fine. When I have done the Saab V4 engine I will get back to wire brushing the rust bubbles and apply rust killer.

IMG_20221112_103743 broad.jpg

IMG_20221112_112033 broad.jpg

IMG_20221112_112216 broad.jpg

IMG_20221112_122653 broad.jpg

IMG_20221112_155654 broad.jpg

Today I went to view a 1987 Saab 900i Auto 5door. It is driving with no adverse noises and has 6 months MOT. @Zelandeth came with me and noted it needs a service and 4 tyres. It it a bit Autoshite, good enough to enjoy but needs a few jobs to bring the maintenance up to date. Come MOT in May it will need a couple of plates but nothing drastic. 

Thanks to Zel coming with me I was in a position to drive it away but could not agree a price with the seller. The seller says they have two more people who have asked to see it, but I suspect they might get back to me. Watch this space!

It is not pink, but Rose Quartz!

E474 DCF 02.jpg

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

Today I went to view a 1987 Saab 900i Auto 5door. It is driving with no adverse noises and has 6 months MOT. @Zelandeth came with me and noted it needs a service and 4 tyres. It it a bit Autoshite, good enough to enjoy but needs a few jobs to bring the maintenance up to date. Come MOT in May it will need a couple of plates but nothing drastic. 

Thanks to Zel coming with me I was in a position to drive it away but could not agree a price with the seller. The seller says they have two more people who have asked to see it, but I suspect they might get back to me. Watch this space!

It is not pink, but Rose Quartz!

E474 DCF 02.jpg

That must have been one of the last cars to have a full length “ Webasto” type sunroof. Not including factory fabric roofs, obviously. Has anyone seen anything later than 88 with an aftermarket fabric roof?

Still trying to work out if it's had a facelift at some point (swapping bumpers and lights was quite a common thing) as it's right on the changeover year between the flat and slope front.

It's definitely got the older style instrument cluster and handbrake...not something the average motorist is likely to be able to spot though.

I choose a scenic route to visit the Saab and had to cross a toll bridge that cost 60p, it must be a while since I last used it as I remembered it as 20p!

IMG_20221114_125018.jpg.2b9fa88325c81dffcfa2c67d80d90bdf.jpg

783145532_IMG_20221114_1250242.jpg.901e6cd467f8d96869e26e57a5812c8e (1).jpg

Eyensham way?

don’t think pangbourne is as posh. What’s the history with these anyway? 

13 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

I was well and truly lost long before we got to the toll bridge and hadn't the foggiest idea where we were!

I said you needed to memorise the route because I think there is a good chance nobody else will buy it as a 5 door Auto and we will need to go back and collect it!

39 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

I said you needed to memorise the route because I think there is a good chance nobody else will buy it as a 5 door Auto and we will need to go back and collect it!

so zels been forced against his will to do car stuff and its not even his :D

'BIATCH NIAOW!'

That's what the satnav is for! 

I know full well that I have absolutely no sense of direction.  Well that's not entirely true, it just takes me an awfully long time to form a mental map - and it's astonishing how much more difficult it is to learn after moving 500 miles so none of the place names you see on signs mean anything.  Stick me into a random location in north east Scotland even if it's not somewhere I've specifically been and I can probably route find reasonably well - because the places on the signs will be familiar enough I can more or less triangulate my position after a couple of junctions and work out where I'm going.  All too often if I lose track of my route down here I wind up not even knowing which direction I'm going, much less which town I'm aiming for.

At least we know it would just be coming straight back here to be serviced anyway!

1 hour ago, hairnet said:

so zels been forced against his will to do car stuff and its not even his :D

'BIATCH NIAOW!'

He knows I enjoy it really, and it keeps me (mostly) out of trouble.

...Until he gets bored with it in the spring and I end up buying it and having to explain myself to the rest of the family.

6 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Still trying to work out if it's had a facelift at some point (swapping bumpers and lights was quite a common thing) as it's right on the changeover year between the flat and slope front.

It's definitely got the older style instrument cluster and handbrake...not something the average motorist is likely to be able to spot though.

Don't think I've ever seen a flat nose on an E plate.  I've seen a few slope fronts on a D though.

Did it have the handbrake on the front or the back wheels?  I assume front if it's the older style lever?