Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

22 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Where's the Dash at Night post then?

So I went out at dusk tonight when the tigers roam North Bucks, but as I suspected the dash lights are not very impressive. The rheostat seems to control the brightness of the instrument lights but not the back illumination for the switches which is faint.

The Voltmeter and fuel gauge seem to have a failed bulb. The big red light is described as the general warning light in the handbook. The bulb warning system says I have a tail light out but they both work fine.

IMG_20200904_195826 broad.jpg

IMG_20200904_200125_1 broad.jpg

IMG_20200904_200339 broad.jpg

2 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

So I went out at dusk tonight when the tigers roam North Bucks, but as I suspected the dash lights are not very impressive. The rheostat seems to control the brightness of the instrument lights but not the back illumination for the switches which is faint.

The Voltmeter and fuel gauge seem to have a failed bulb. The big red light is described as the general warning light in the handbook. The bulb warning system says I have a tail light out but they both work fine.

IMG_20200904_195826 broad.jpg

I think it might be worth replacing the lot with decent LEDs, as the backlighting bulbs are probably well burnt glass by now, blotting out anything the filaments can produce...

It's not doing too bad all things considered!

I imagine the switchgear may well be lit from a single source via fibre optics depending how much Fiat parts bin raiding was going on, that was something Fiat seemed to be very in to about that sort of time period.

One of those jobs which while fiddly as all hell, I find really satisfying to do.

10 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

It's not doing too bad all things considered!

I imagine the switchgear may well be lit from a single source via fibre optics depending how much Fiat parts bin raiding was going on, that was something Fiat seemed to be very in to about that sort of time period.

One of those jobs which while fiddly as all hell, I find really satisfying to do.

If you fancy a play I would welcome it.

Especially the bulb fail light that is lying as I think that is what is bringing on the big red light.

My place or we could get it over to yours for a few days so you can play with it when your feel like it and have your tools around you.

I am still in love, I took it out first thing this morning on a fix it mission and then to Tesco shopping.

IMG_20200905_095203 broad.jpg

Our Metro has dropped some coolant on the floor while parked in storage so this morning I went over there to check why.

Turns out it is the bottom hose, a wiggle, clean and tighten has resealed it including when running. I am a bit concerned if the hose is ok as it seems a bit loose so my friend is going to see if he can buy one at the Mini/metro show tomorrow at Gaydon. 

IMG_20200905_084651 broad.jpg

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

If you fancy a play I would welcome it.

Especially the bulb fail light that is lying as I think that is what is bringing on the big red light.

My place or we could get it over to yours for a few days so you can play with it when your feel like it and have your tools around you.

I am still in love, I took it out first thing this morning on a fix it mission and then to Tesco shopping.

IMG_20200905_095203 broad.jpg

More than happy to have it here for a couple of days - actually have a bit of room for a change as the Activa is still sitting at a friend's place waiting for an MOT slot.

Depending how the bulb failure system works just changing the brake light bulbs for a matched pair may well sort it.  Some systems work by measuring the resistance of the bulbs and look for an imbalance between them - so if the bulbs are a bit different nor there is a less than perfect connection (or ground...because Lancia) it can interpret that as a failed bulb.

The earlier offer to tackle the 2CV greasing regime remains open too.

15 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

More than happy to have it here for a couple of days - actually have a bit of room for a change as the Activa is still sitting at a friend's place waiting for an MOT slot.

Depending how the bulb failure system works just changing the brake light bulbs for a matched pair may well sort it.  Some systems work by measuring the resistance of the bulbs and look for an imbalance between them - so if the bulbs are a bit different nor there is a less than perfect connection (or ground...because Lancia) it can interpret that as a failed bulb.

how are you for invacar brake system overhauls? :mrgreen:

18 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

I have plenty of new matched bulbs thanks to Andyrew. 

I will send you a pm.

I am feeling guilty that my 2CV has not been greased after Dollywobbler explained the importance of doing it regularly. 

5 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

I have plenty of new matched bulbs thanks to Andyrew. 

I will send you a pm.

I am feeling guilty that my 2CV has not been greased after Dollywobbler explained the importance of doing it regularly. 

I’ve never greased mine. Leave that to the mechanics doing the annual service.

Just now, wuvvum said:

I will bring the correct laptop this time if you still need the 406 looking at.

I sold it to forbeslongden from his wanted ad, I thought I was safe answering his ad because he said he wanted a 406 Coupe close to Plymouth! Then he came up to North Bucks and wrenched it away from me!

Suspect from a brief walk round check I've likely pinned down the cause of the errant tail light failure warning in the Trevi.  Noted that when either the brake lights or tail lights are lit that the indicator flash rate on that side drops by about half.

That'll be a dodgy earth needing some attention then.  What do we want to bet that cleaning up or reterminating the relevant earth connections sorts both of those issues?

Will get the electrical rehabilitation started tomorrow.  Hoping to get everything done in the one afternoon with a bit of luck.  Will depend a lot on how much of a pig it is to get into the dash - especially wanting to be very, very careful of by now probably very brittle plastic.

On 9/5/2020 at 12:27 PM, hairnet said:

how nice is it when you bounce it off the limiter?

The Trevi?  Bouncing it off the limiter would be pointless, but the sound that lancia twin-cam makes if you give it some large between about 3000 and 5000 rpm is just musical.  Why do modern engines sound like vacuum cleaners in comparison?

Yep...Had a look in the dark just before locking up for the night - the offside rear indicator is glowing *very* dimly whenever either the brake or tail lights are on.  Time to go hunting dodgy earths.  To be honest unless it's a really awkward setup I probably won't actually go hunting anything - I'll just examine and probably re-terminate all the grounds on or in the vicinity of the tail lights as a matter of course given that we have evidence of trouble with them and given the tendency for them to cause all manner of electrical headaches with Italian cars especially from this sort of era.  Rather than trying to hunt down a dodgy contact it'll be quicker and better for long term reliability to just sort the lot.

@Six-cylinder I hope you do realise that you're going to go and have me wanting a Lancia after this.  Granted...The five minute passenger ride in the Gamma already did a pretty damn good job of that.  A Gamma Berlina is absolutely on my lottery win shopping list and has been since the moment I sat in yours.  Every time I've walked past the Trevi though I've noticed more little nice design touches.  While the proportions are a bit odd and at a glance the interior is just mental there's a huge amount of penmanship has gone into that car.  The door handles and the little name badge by the rear window below the kickup in the roof line are probably my favourite touches so far.  Shame the metal strip with the name/model on is lost a bit on a silver car...Reckon black or Ferrari red would be the best colours for the Trevi.  Oh...Or now I think about it, that slightly burnt yellow colour you occasionally see Ferraris in, that would work nicely too.  I still reckon black though, would offset the ample amounts of brightwork nicely...and we all know I've got an affinity for black cars with lots of chrome.

The other thing which I had completely forgotten was how comfortable Lancias from this sort of era were...I can absolutely see why you've been using the car so much since you've got it back, the seats are like a lovely old well care worn sofa.  How does the ride compare to the Gamma?  I remember that being something which surprised me the most when I was a passenger in the Gamma...While it wasn't *quite* there it was approaching Citroen levels of wafty even on the bouncy road by your place.

6 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Shame the metal strip with the name/model on is lost a bit on a silver car...Reckon black or Ferrari red would be the best colours for the Trevi.  Oh...Or now I think about it, that slightly burnt yellow colour you occasionally see Ferraris in, that would work nicely too.  I still reckon black though, would offset the ample amounts of brightwork nicely...and we all know I've got an affinity for black cars with lots of chrome.

I think you need this  https://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/1802079659.htm/

c341b5c78844177299f2bf6b15d9159ef68576c3.thumb.jpg.992d0a7744064be4605a30c18e201b11.jpg